The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 04:22 PM

backwoodsangler is on a distinguished road
Default Allen Kraken drag pressure?

Hello All,
Might anyone know how much drag pressure the Allen Kraken 3 (7/8) puts out? I am curious because I am looking to possibly replace a Sage 4280. The Sage only has about 3.5 lbs of drag pressure and wondering if the Kraken has more. I am headed to the gulf next summer and wanted something with a little stronger drag and the Kraken looked promising at a good price. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2013, 06:44 PM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to all
Default Re: Allen Kraken drag pressure?

Hi backwoodsangler,

Welcome to the forum. Our Kraken series has done well for many. Personalty I have caught 80lbs + sailfish, dozens of Skip Jack, and plenty of Dorado. I'd be happy to send you a reel to crank the drag down and compare.

Please contact me at info@allenflyfishing.com and we'll get a Kraken in your hands to compare.

Thank you,

Justin
Old 11-23-2013, 06:58 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I haven't measured the drag on any sort of scale but I can tell you it is muuuuuuch stronger than 3.5lbs.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the reply brookfieldangler. Seems like I have read somewhere that it cranks down pretty tight but I was just curious.

Justin thanks for the Welcome and for replying. I mentioned in my first post on this forum that I registered mainly because of researching Allen reels. I ended up on this forum several times on search results so I figured I should become part of the forum. Seems like a great platform with many highly informed individuals.
I will more than likely be purchasing a Kraken and maybe a Trout II in the near future, still exploring. You seem to have a great following.
Again thanks for the info an I will contact you in the near future.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:09 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Not sure on actual poundage but mine will stop all line from being pulled from the spool when cranked all the way down. I haven't had a chance to test it out properly yet but so far it has not let down.

The trout II is also nice, Im hoping they will have a sweet black Friday sale, I need/want some stuff

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 11-23-2013, 08:40 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Allen Kraken drag pressure?

Check with the Allen folks direct? They've been most responsive.

fae
Old 11-23-2013, 09:09 PM

stl_geoff
If cranked down it will stop all line from coming out, I would say that's good enough
Thanks for the info!

Old 11-23-2013, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsangler View Post
I ended up on this forum several times on search results so I figured I should become part of the forum.
Well, welcome to the forum then Your story is that of a large part of this membership, myself included. I'm happy to see you are making good use of your membership.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-24-2013, 07:06 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsangler View Post
stl_geoff
If cranked down it will stop all line from coming out, I would say that's good enough
Thanks for the info!

Yup, it tightens down more then my sage, lamson and some other allen reels I have. I only own like 7 or 8 of them

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 11-24-2013, 09:21 AM

I have a Lamson and Sage as well, and I am thinking an Allen is sounding better and better. From all I have gathered they will be every bit as good as what I own. Sounds like you are thrilled with yours. Good to hear some feedback.