The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By comeonavs
  • 3 Post By Hardyreels
  • 2 Post By williamhj
  • 2 Post By jaybo41

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 08:33 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Reel for 10' 4wt

So I didn't want to create another thread on reels and helping me decide.......but here we go.

I ordered the new Allen Xa2 in a 10' 4wt today. I wasn't going to buy a new reel for it since I almost have as many reels as rods. I am asking this question more for a balance perspective since I have never had a 10' rod. I assuming and correct me if I am wrong , that with a longer rod you might want a tad heavier reel to help balance it out.

Being that this is a 4wt used for the front range I dont have visions of 26" Browns smoking my reel as they rush down stream towards a log pile. I am envisioning the typical 8-14" front range trout.

There is a platinum Galvan Torque T-4 for sale used locally for a good price and the platinum reel might look reel nice on the blue blank of the Xa2.

Or just tell me I'm on the funny stuff based on my currently owned reels below. The ones with * are sort of married to a specific rod. I am thinking the Rhythm or Guru might pair up with this longer rod better than some of my other reels.

*Sage Click II
Ross Rhythm 1.5
Sage Click 3200
*Nautilus FWX 3/4
Lamson Guru 1.5
*Ross Evolution LT 2.0
*Bauer McKenzie
Allen Trout II
Hardyreels and jaybo41 like this.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Reel for 10' 4wt

I use a Viscount LA size 7/8 Disc on an Orvis PM-10 for balance and it's about perfect. For a ten foot rod I would be looking at the 7/8 size reel of your choice. I also like the look of a big reel over some little thing on longer rods. When you think of it, even if your reel weighs 5.5 ounces on a 3 ounce rod it is still going to be easy fishing for a whole day.

I may not be the best person to gather an opinion from because of my Big reel habit but they look cool and ever since I began fishing fly rods & reels I've always thought they should look cool as well as be functional. Get a big reel man, and if you feel like a tackle junkie then come to the next meeting.

You know what I mean
jaybo41, caseywise and comeonavs like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-24-2013, 10:07 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I have an Orvis battenkill one size larger for mine. I also put a fighting butt on it to help with the weight. My guess it most reels would be fine, especially if you went with a 5/6 rather than a 3/4 size.
jaybo41 and comeonavs like this.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:48 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably no secret, but I love Galvan Reels. I have 5 of them I agree with Ard that a better choice would be a 5/6 reel. Save those small reels for 2, 3 and small 4 weights! And by all means come to the next meeting.

Looking over the specs of the T4, I'd say that 3.25"-4.5 oz might get it done with backing and line but I think you're going to be too light and too small for a 10 foot rod. A better option would be a T-5 at 3.5" - 4.8oz. The T-6 is going to be too much reel for that rod.

Another Galvan to look at that is often overlooked IMHO is the Rush Series. I own the R3, not the new Light version, but the previous generation and it's as smooth as any of the Torques that I own. You're basically getting the same drag as in the Torque but with less machining which translates into more weight. The R5 would be a great match at 3.5" and 5.4oz and they do come in clear finish like the T4 you're thinking about. They're also $100 cheaper.

Here's my T10 so you can get an idea of what the clear finish looks like.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
comeonavs and bwf like this.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:50 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

WOW that is a beauty Jaybo.....uggg I am reaching for my AMEX mentally to order one

Sorry I missed the last meeting, will make the next
Old 11-26-2013, 07:55 AM
Business Member

tridentfly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
I have an Orvis battenkill one size larger for mine. I also put a fighting butt on it to help with the weight. My guess it most reels would be fine, especially if you went with a 5/6 rather than a 3/4 size.
William has it about right. You're going to want a reel in the 5-6 oz range, (which is typically a 6wt)
Old 11-26-2013, 10:24 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I too agree that balance is paramount over any other aspect of reel design (assuming good reels). For the record, Galvan's T-6 balances perfectly on my 9'/#4 Loomis NRX...one of my favorite but not lightest trout rigs. Being in CO, I always think Ross is cool because they are from there and being an Allen rod, their Trout 2 in its larger size could also be considered.

Here is what I would do. Get the rod, try reels from among your arsenal with line loaded on them (even if not a #4) until you find the one that balances the rod optimally...it might be a 6-weight reel. Determine the empty weight of that reel (from its on-line catalog spec. listing) and look at reels of that raw weight from among your collection or a new one you would like to try that meets your other criteria. I too like to have a reel dedicated to a given rod that matches its balance, performance and aesthetics and is rigged with the best line for that rod. I always get the rod first and tailor the reel to it.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I too agree that balance is paramount over any other aspect of reel design (assuming good reels). For the record, Galvan's T-6 balances perfectly on my 9'/#4 Loomis NRX...one of my favorite but not lightest trout rigs. Being in CO, I always think Ross is cool because they are from there and being an Allen rod, their Trout 2 in its larger size could also be considered.

Here is what I would do. Get the rod, try reels from among your arsenal with line loaded on them (even if not a #4) until you find the one that balances the rod optimally...it might be a 6-weight reel. Determine the empty weight of that reel (from its on-line catalog spec. listing) and look at reels of that raw weight from among your collection or a new one you would like to try that meets your other criteria. I too like to have a reel dedicated to a given rod that matches its balance, performance and aesthetics and is rigged with the best line for that rod. I always get the rod first and tailor the reel to it.
I conveniently keep a spreadsheet of all my gear and the specs of each piece of equipment. I seemed to have acquired alot of "lighter" reels. My first attempt will be my Ross Evolution II ,Allen Trout II (size 1) then Lamson Guru and give them the old fashion test.....go out in the yard and try it

From there I might decide I need a different reel