The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By wannafish
  • 1 Post By baseman1
  • 1 Post By wannafish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2013, 06:33 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice
Default Thoughts

Hey all,
I am starting to save up for a good reel and the two in my sights are the Hardy Marquis or the SA System 10. From what I understand they are similar reels both made by hardy. This will be for my 9 wt and will be used for Atlantics. So I would like to know thoughts?
Old 11-29-2013, 09:16 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts

Scientific Anglers sells a USA made System 4 reel now. I don't think that they're up to 10 yet. (there are System 10 fiberglass rods)
I have a System2 10/11 reel and two System2 8/9s.
Those were made by BFR (British Fly Reels) not Hardy and are no longer in production.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:02 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I have a Korean Hardy Marquis Salmon I reel and I bought a spare spool for it; new in box Scientific Anglers System 10 spool! It fits perfectly and is identical to the Salmon I spool. I use my Salmon I on a 9' 9wt Sage VXP and it's a really good match. The old System reels all match with the Marquis series except the System 11 which I believe is not the same as the Marquis Salmon II but I may be wrong there. My system 8 is identical to the Marquis 8/9; the System 9 is identical to the Marquis 10 I had. I love those reels!

I guess if I were you I'd go for the new Korean made Marquis for the slim reel foot, machined aluminum, heavy anodising, and warranty; but if you need a spare spool the old Marquis or System 10s will fit the new reel and are cheaper.
baseman1 likes this.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:03 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

Good to know. Thanks for the info Rip. I saw a video that showed the spools being interchangeable which was probably on a Sys 2.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:44 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Now that I actually checked....
There is a System 10
It was made by Hardy
And it is the same as the Hardy Marquis

Sorry if I created any confussion
Old 11-30-2013, 05:36 AM

Good I thought I was going crazy. hahahaha.
wannafish likes this.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:50 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

baseman, I saw a Sci. Anglers System 10 just by chance (wasn't looking for one) on ebay last night but it had no spool. It was like new for $80 buy now/best offer deal and had only been up 2 hours. Well I'm all spent out but like I said I have a spare Sci. Anglers spool that would fit it so I threw an offer of $70.00 at it and waited 10 minutes...just about to buy it and someone beat me to it at $80. Man that was close; I've got to stay off of ebay!
baseman1 likes this.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:57 PM

That's funny right there. I used to play 5-6 games of softball a week and now am down to one so once I can thin the bats out I will be able to get a good reel.