The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By kelkay
  • 1 Post By craigthor
  • 3 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2013, 10:36 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Reel care?

Now that I have an older reel what is the best way to clean and care for them? It is a Martin MG-3 and has an extra spool. Can spare springs and clickers be sourced and where would one look for old stock parts?
Old 12-05-2013, 11:45 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Reel care?

I use Boeshield to clean the gunk off my reels first. I go through a lot of Q-tips to clean it off with. Then take the reel apart as far as you are comfortable. I then soak the reel in warm water with 2-3 drops of dishwashing liquid, for 1/2 hour. Halfway during that time, take a tooth brush and clean it as good as you can. Then look at the reel after 30 minutes. If it is a used reel I bought, many times I will soak it in a vinegar solution. 1/3 part vinegar to warm water. No more than 30 minutes. Once again, clean with tooth brush at the half way point. Depending on the metal, you might not want to make it sit that long. Then rinse the reel very well in cold water. Dry the reel. Air dry overnight, or use a air duster can. Then if you want, you can wax the reel. I use Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax. I got these little tricks from Ron/Bulldog. I may not have it exactly the way he does it, but it works for me. After you are finished waxing, then lube the reel. It ought to sparkle almost like new!

As far as spare parts, I think you will have to buy a used reel to get parts. I could be wrong about that though. But as far as I know you cannot get new parts. You could have them special made, but that in many cases will be expensive. Many of the Martin reel parts are interchangeable. Ask about a specific part, and maybe somebody could help you. I have heard of bic pen springs being used for the tuna can reels. I have a collection of springs that I use, and you can cut them, if they are too long. Worse case scenario, you could use a piano string, or maybe a guitar string, and make your own spring. Ask around about this first. I am just offering ideas.
craigthor likes this.

Last edited by kelkay; 12-06-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:53 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, nice thing is my reel was an old NIB reel with no use before me.
kelkay likes this.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:45 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Craig,

That reel won't need anything for quite some time. If and when it would have any sand or grit get into the cage and raise a racket just pop the spool and rinse things out. The grease on the Pawl will be good for a while and when it would become sparse a dab of machine grease or marine grease in the same places will do. The spindle should have a drop of oil, like the old 3 in 1 brand to keep the works smooth there. grease on spindles may make the spool stiff especially in colder weather.

If you ever want to switch it left to right hand wind, depress the spring arm away from the pawl and use a dubbing needle to gently push / slide the pawl out. Then flip it over and repeat the procedure in reverse paying attention to the correct point of the pawl toward the spool as it was when you began. That will reverse the drag function on the reel.

Parts............ My best advice is to never attempt to remove the coil tension spring nested against the pawl contact arm. If you do ever remove it do so on a large white towel on a large work surface. Those springs may be available from Bill Archuleta but having the original would be a good thing, same thing with the pawl, having the original to send for a copy would be good. I will link his shop page here; Archuleta's Reel Works

For the most part a reel like that MG-3 or my old featherweight will work longer than us. The only reel I have had to get pawls for was my Orvis Battenkill 3/4 clicker. That was due to my burning them out fishing for silvers here in 2005 before I quit using my Far & Fine and the Battenkill for silver salmon. I would say it took about 60 hard running salmon to blow out the little pawls and that was my fault not the reels.
kelkay, caseywise and craigthor like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-06-2013, 10:45 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have a reel that's sitting in front of me right right now to remind me that I have to make a new flat spring for it. For many vintage reels spare parts are hard to come by and that's the only solution in this case

the one on the right

Click the image to open in full size.