The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 07:49 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default Still Grateful?

Just wondering if anyone else ordered an Abel Grateful Dead custom reel and have not received it yet?

If I recall it was a limited edition of 250, they thought they'd have them done in 4 weeks from the date of order and figured it was gonna be 8 weeks instead. It's been about 16 weeks!

What can I do? I've already written someone there and got a reply but no indication of when they're gonna be done. I want to avoid going the public FB route and cause a fuss, but this is kind of ridiculous.

Has anyone else found Abel to be responsive in requests?
They have to at least have my order in there somewhere with my name on it since all orders ship from Abel, and can tell me I'm number X in line, right?!

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 12-03-2013, 07:51 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Still Grateful?

Phone call to Abel?
mcnerney and kelkay like this.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:06 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
Phone call to Abel?
Yeah, I think it's gonna come down to that tomorrow. I got a few emails from Brad Morris (the last was 11/6) with no more information than "we don't know." Which IMO is kinda lame. I guess I can call to see if my order is even slated to be touched before XMAS.

So I'm sour and I'm assuming there is nothing they'll offer to make me feel better about this. Sticker? Shirt? Maybe a custom inscription for free? We'll see…..

-- John Gierach

My TU:
Old 12-03-2013, 08:09 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Craigthor, a non-threatening phone call and asking the right questions would probably go a long way. I have had excellent service from Abel when called directly even on outdated reels.

Dave
mcnerney and shotgunfly like this.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:14 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

One thing I've learned of waiting for custom products is never expect them on time and be happy when they arrive. Though I would just give Abel a call to see where they are at. I have a Doug Ritter MK2 knife that took over a year to receive.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:19 PM

Thanks folks, I knew there would be some wise folks on here. I'll sleep on it and call tomorrow (before the 3rd cup of coffee)….

I'm glad I can share/vent this here before I say something stupid and end up last in line.

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
One thing I've learned of waiting for custom products is never expect them on time and be happy when they arrive. Though I would just give Abel a call to see where they are at. I have a Doug Ritter MK2 knife that took over a year to receive.
That's some patience!!!!

I've been toying with ordering a custom bamboo rod that has a wait list of 4-5 years…now, knowing that upfront I don't expect it earlier, and I'm okay with a little later.

-- John Gierach

My TU:
Old 12-03-2013, 08:24 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Shotgun,

I totally know the feeling, man. It's hard to wait for something like that. Look at it this way, you are one of only 250 people who will own that reel.

I had no idea what went into those things until I watched one of the Abel artists painstakingly creating the Grateful Dead image by hand with tiny brushes and paints. Each of those reels takes an average of six hours to paint. They are as individual and custom as you can get.

As hard as it is, I think it's worth the wait. Just my 2 cents.

-VB
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:25 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

I've pre-ordered a few things over the years like high end car audio speakers where you prepay. You do need to be patient, at the same time make contact so you can put your mind at ease your order was not lost in the shuffle and you miss the limited edition.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:26 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

I agree with you. Thats a bit of time.

Another instance where a company should under-promise and over-deliver. Starting to become the norm.

The best part is......you will have a beautiful reel soon. Something that you will be proud to own for years.

Jim
fredaevans likes this.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:00 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Cardo,

I'll try to be a calming influence here and I hope you'll at least think about this. There is no doubt that I am not always perfect, sometimes I can be blunt and get under another persons skin pretty tight, but I don't really try. Most of us don't consciously do that to anyone.

I have been many things in life, professions that is, and one thing I have learned in the entrepreneurial world where I have existed since 1988 when I quit my job after 15.5 years is that....................... When people like you, they will help you.

I could go on at great length writing about how I have achieved many things, not because I had great wealth, not because of my political or business connections, but because I got people to like me. When someone you need help from does not see you as a threat, but as someone who is simply seeking some sort of relief, that they may be able to provide, generally 'they' will be helpful to you.

So if I were you, when I call, I wouldn't open up with what the call is really about. I would make sure I got connected to 'A Somebody' first! Then once having navigated that channel I would make a little pleasant small talk with that 'somebody' about how many of their products you own and how much you like them etc.

Do you see where I'm going here everyone? If a company is behind the Eight ball on a project and delivery of same they already know, they don't need another distraught consumer to tell them about it. They need to hear that things are cool.....however you have a question......

You may be amazed at how many people have done me favors because they decided that I was not a threat, that I was cool, I kid you not. From The guy at the top of the pile to the guys shoveling the muck at the very bottom, I have had cooperation and made long term friends by not opening an exchange with my fist.

And that's what Ard thinks about those late reels. Look at the bright side, you have other reels right? So it's all good, if anything make a friend there so if you're ever in town you'll get a personal tour of their facility; might as well because you may even get the reel just a day sooner than the guy who blows his top and cusses them out

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;