The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2013, 12:19 AM

jr2525 is on a distinguished road
Default Galvan 4/5 Rush Light on Sage One?

Have a question that I'm hoping someone can help with. Big fan of Galvan reels and getting ready to order a custom 9' 5wt Sage One. Does anyone have a Sage One, Galvan Rush 4/5 combo, and if so how well does the combo balance? I normally buy through my local fly shop and have the luxury of feeling the outfit before buying, however, in this case, I'm ordering it this Thursday and don't have that option.

Tight lines...

Update: Thanks for all the input guys. I ended up deciding on the Galvan Rush 4/5. Nearly all of the fishing I do is 80-90' cast to 1/2 to 1lb rainbow so I figure I should be able to balance the combo to my liking. I've had my Galvan OB3 for over 10 years now, and not once has it let me down. However, I must admit that I seldom spool a fish up, and typically only use my reel as a line holder.

Last edited by jr2525; 12-28-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:19 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Galvan 4/5 Rush Light on Sage One?

Just for perspective since I dont have the Galvan reel.

I put a Nautilus FWX 3/4 on my 390-4 Sage ONE and it balances the rod a couple inches down the cork, basically right under where you would hold the rod. The Nautilus is a extremely light reel.

The Galvan Rush appears to be heavier , but it would just put more of the balance point lower, which for me Ive never hated that feel.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:29 AM

jr2525 is on a distinguished road

Thanks comeonavs. The Nautilus FWX 4/5 is another reel I'm considering for the rod.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:39 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

The Rush series is under appreciated and often overlooked I have an older model R3 paired with a 3wt that I enjoy fishing.

If it were me, I'd opt for the R5. I don't know that .5 oz is going to make that much difference.

Enjoy the new rig.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:39 AM

ulflyfisherman is on a distinguished road

The Rush or the FWX 4/5 would both make a nicely balanced outfit with a couple yards of line out. Personally, I'd opt for the Nautilus, as I've had their reels for a few years. Flawless, and in my eyes, aesthetically brilliant.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:43 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I fish the ONE#5 balanced perfectly with a Nautilus FWX...but it is the 7/8 size! I had intended to use the 5/6 on it but it was too light and found an ideal home on my 8 1/2'/#4 Streamdance GLX. The Galvan that might be best to balance with it (weight and performance wise) might be the T-5.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:49 AM

ulflyfisherman is on a distinguished road

You're right sweetandsalt. I was thinking it was a Sage One 3wt. For the 5wt def. The larger FWX. It will give you extra backing capacity, too, if you like to swing a flyrod for species most would say you are undergunned with.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:01 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

ulfly, As you know from the Nautilus thread, I fish several Nautilus reels; FWX's for trout and an NV 'Giga' for bonefish. The FWX is great in all ways but one upgrade I would like would be the replacement of the spring and lever spool release mechanism with a captive threaded cap like on the NV, Hatch and new Hardys feature. I am new to Galvan Reels having fished a Torque T-6 much of this past season. I like it a lot and consider it to be a direct competitor to FWX (not NV though). I give FWX the drag design by an edge and Galvan should loose their spring and push button spool release (the 2nd worst design after O-Ring, pop-off spools) but Galvan's proportions and machining are very fine and good looking too. They get kudos from me for the machined hollow metal drag knob with their name within. Nice piece of work. I will write more extensively about Galvan if I get the opportunity to fish a Torque bonefishing. It is hard for me to become truly informed about a reel's performance just from trout fishing...a week of bonefish ripping backing off a reel with the drag set strong reveals most plus and minus design characteristics.