The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 05:10 PM

little yellow humpy is on a distinguished road
Default Echo Ion vs. Sage 1800 series

I'm trying to decide between these two reels for a budget switch rod/ reel setup...both I found for a great price. Anybody have experience with one or both and can offer an opinion? Thanks!
Old 01-03-2014, 08:59 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Echo Ion vs. Sage 1800 series

1800 hands down. Mainly the biggest difference between the 2 is the fact the Sage has a full sealed saltwater drag. So when you drop the reel in the water and go back to swinging flies for steel, nothing will get into the drag and lock it up. no ice. They really are a hidden jem of a budget reel.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-03-2014, 11:30 AM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all

+1 on the Sage 1800

I recommend Mid Arbor Orvis Access IV and V ($189) fully sealed drag They can hold a lot of backing. The V hold 200yds+ 20# dacron with the 7# Switch Chucker line. Very light and nice looking.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I guess its hard to beat the Sage 1850 @ 75 bucks. I did look at the Orvis Mid Arbor Access running fish. In fact I'm keeping my eye on one on eBay. I was concerned it wouldn't hold all the necessary line sections. But when its said and done I'm keeping this outfit on a budget and the Sage fits nicely. Thanks again!
Old 01-03-2014, 03:22 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I have 200 yards of #30 backing on a sage 1680, which is the lesser model of the 1800 but they are the same size. Its holds plenty of line.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-03-2014, 07:24 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Anything but an Ion... I've seen these things and they are not good reels... Big gap between the spool and reel... line can easily slip out...
Old 01-04-2014, 04:38 PM

Yeah I've read a few negative comments about the Ion in my research....including the drag going kaput. Thanks. With the huge sales going on I may go for something out of my budget just to have something that will hopefully last longer.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:47 PM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down Re: Echo Ion vs. Sage 1800 series

Just look at the price of the ion 34.99,you get what you pay for.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:36 AM

Hey runningfish....I found some info. about the Access. I read that it isn't a good two-handed reel for the big skagit lines and enough backing. Have you had a different experience? I would think if you have the Chucker line on a V it should work for any other "short" or "compact" skagit or scandi setup, no?
Old 01-05-2014, 01:17 AM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all

I don't use the Skagit head, so I wouldn't know. It will take the Chucker #6 420 grain with 200yds 20# dacron with some free space. Btw, I just read my previous posting, it should be #6 not #7 chucker (Typo). The scandi short <450 grain will fit but probably tight and you have to compensate on the backing. So, your findings were right if you needed more than 200yds of 20# the V won't handle it.

I don't know what rod weight, and grain weight that you will be using but always use a bigger reel. The Chucker #6 was on an Allen Kraken III with 20yds 20# and it was tight, I could hear the line squeaked when I reeled the head in. It is sitting better on the V, but it will soon move to the Lamson Velocity 4. You don't wanna be worried on how the line will sit when you are reeling your trophy fish in.

In my case, I never ever ever had a fish to the backing, but I always have at least 175-200yds 20# of backing incase that 18" trout was actually a bull shark. My smallest reel is the Access IV which is shown in avatar.

Here is a link of a guy who is using the IV on his Echo 4wt switch.

http://flyblaster.blog.com/2011/04/3...ho-4wt-switch/