The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 07:01 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Which hatch reels?

I met a Hatch rep yesterday who told me that the "plus" model size designations indicate the suggested range of line sizes, from the given number up to two sizes more. So, a 3+ would be for line sizes 3-5, a 5+ would be for 5-7, etc.

Obviously, choosing a bigger reel for a given line adds both weight and backing capacity. I like lightweight trout reels, especially with new rods getting constantly lighter, and I don't think I've ever needed even 50 yd of backing on a trout reel for anything more than widening the diameter of the arbor so the fly line doesn't kink so badly (which of course is not a concern on large arbor reels like the Hatch).

So, if I were in your shoes, I would probably choose a 3+ for 4 and 5 weights and a 4+ for 6 weight. But if you already have the 5+ for a 6 weight and like it, you might also prefer the 4+ for a 5 weight.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:46 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
In the Abel draw-bar design one is compressing a stout coil spring which applies pressure to the flat interior surface of the spool against the drag plate upon which is mounted the cork disc. The fine tunability of this adjustment is determined by the spacing of detents in the drag knob. The relationship between that spacing and the rate of the spring determines how fine a variable adjustment is attainable. The compression of a multi disc stacked system as in the Hatch, Hardy U DD and future Abel is substantially finer incrementally as the coil spring and its fixed rate is eliminated. Detents, if there are any, are much closer together (very fine in the prototype I examined) implying a significantly more finely adjusting degree of drag pressure most relevant when setting one's reel to fish small flies on light tippets.
I fish Abel Super 4, 4N, pt. 5, No. 1's for trout and while I agreed they are not as fine tunable as a Hatch, Nautilus, Loop Opti, etc, I have not found the difference between indents enough of a difference to cause a lack of tippet protection.

With respect Hatch, once you have one, you must have another. I don't need another reel for any of my fishing applications at this point but I will be buying one for my trout fishing applications on my 4, 5 and 6 weights, and I'll lean towards the 5+ for size and weight. I bet it's too heavy for my 4's though... I'll buy that new Abel for those, I'm sure.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:20 PM

troutn has a spectacular aura abouttroutn has a spectacular aura about

I have the 3 plus that I have on my 4 wt. I also have the 4 plus that I have on my 5 wt. I only wish they would be offered, at Cabela's (2nd job) to be able to get a discounted price. One of the few reels I will pay retail to buy. Hatch is my favorite brand of reels!
Old 04-21-2014, 07:26 PM

czando is on a distinguished road

Own the hatch 3 pls and 4 plus but still think the abel N series are better as I have a 3N, 4N and 5N

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2014, 08:11 PM

adealarcon is on a distinguished road

I have a 4+ for my 5 wt and a 3+ for a 4 wt. they are a touch on the heavy side for trout rods but super well made and they have a great sound when you get a large fish to peel off line. The black anondize is pretty sharp although most of my hatches are the silver anondize.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:33 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

I have been fortunate enough to fish many different reels from many different manufacturers. On that list are reels from Ross (San Miguel, Big Game, Gunnison), Lamson, Nautilus, Tibor, Abel and Hatch. Currently, the only reels in my personal collection are Hatch! I have Hatch reels in everything from the 3 Plus to the 9 Plus.

This is not to say others do not make quality reels, it is simply that for me, Hatch is the best route. Hatch reels are solid and durable, the drags are silky smooth and reliable, the reels themselves have simplistic sex appeal and the folks over at Hatch are pretty down to earth, good guys!

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:42 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

There are a brace of outfits of the fishiest order but I am not giving them a 100% grade due to the affixation of the yellow thingamabobber on one of them. Nicely photographed too. Hatch won't anodize them StreamDance copper?
Old 05-04-2014, 10:04 AM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=sweetandsalt;664578]There are a brace of outfits of the fishiest order but I am not giving them a 100% grade due to the affixation of the yellow thingamabobber on one of them. Nicely photographed too. Hatch won't anodize them StreamDance copper?[/QUO]

LOL! Thanks S&S.

Although I have to question your kudos and your overall knowledge of this sport.

Thingamabobber.....NEVER!

That my friend is something I picked up when I use to "gear" fish for Great Lakes Steelhead. It is a wooden Thill slip float. I have tried many different indicators and I REALLY enjoy the Thill floats. Whenever I fish an indicator, it is a Thill, of various sizes based on conditions.

A Copper Hatch would be pretty BAD @ZZ!
Old 05-07-2014, 02:43 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

So $155 current bid for a new Hatch 3+, is that a good deal or what?

Hatch Finatic 3 Plus Fly Reel New in Metalic Silver with Box Neoprene Cover | eBay

(wife bid on it yet it's really too much small reel for our needs)

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:06 PM

thepharmacist is on a distinguished road

I watch ebay too much. I always think I am going to win stuff for cheap but almost never do. I bet that reel will go for over $300