The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 06:23 AM

thepharmacist is on a distinguished road
Default Which hatch reels?

I bought a hatch 5+ to use on my 10' 6wt for Lake Erie Steel and I love it. I considered the 7+ but thought It would be a little too big... The 5 indeed works great. I also thought I would use the 5+ as a reel on my 9' 5wt but it seems slightly big... not crazy big but just a little. I can get away with using it for sure.

Now I have 2 perfectly good Lamson reels that can run 3-6 wt lines with ease but when I look at the Hatch next to the Lamsons I can't help but wish I had 3 hatches!

Getting ready for my first trip to The Henrys Fork this summer and might get a piece of gear or 2 to ease the pain of waiting. I have my hardy zenith 9'4 and 5 wts that will be my primary rods. I wish I had a 9' 6wt. I can take my 10' 6 wt steelhead rod for nymphing I suppose....

Which Hatch reels do you folks use on your 9' 4wts and 9' 5wts and 9'6 wts. I know it is subjective and balance is personal but what do you all use?

I have the urge to buy a 3 and a 4+ but probably only need 1 (or none) of those.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:07 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Which hatch reels?

I use the 5+ on my 9'/#5 Z-Axis, but it is heavier than Zenith on which 4+ would likely be better though I have not tried it. Trouthunter on the Fork is a core Hatch dealer and they can advise...and you are correct, once you become accustomed to a first rate reel like Hatch it is hard to go back to far lesser product. I have not fished it but I cast the new Scott Radian #6 at Somerset and it reminded me some of Zenith. 5+ could be good on it and a second "mid-arbor" spool could be bought for your #6 Great Lakes application. That's my Rx!
thepharmacist likes this.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:09 AM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough

Hatch are def a bit on the heavy side and it seems as though they pair up better when the reel number is one less than the rod. For example when I put the Hatch on my Radian I thought the 4+ balanced better than the 5+. Looking to get an 8wt setup for bones, which I'd look at the 7+. After testing out some Abel's the same seems to hold true. I prefer the 4N on a 5wt and the 5N on a 6wt. Obviously this may vary based on rod weight, but this seems to hold true for the most part. Especially with the new high end stuff that's really light.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:39 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Though I am a long time advocate for both Abel and Hatch, both of which are premier, ruggedly reliable performers in their respective design classes, I am inclined to turn to them for heavier duty applications. I have gone to Nautilus FWX, Hardy U DD and Galvan Torque for #4 and 5-weight trout use. The drags are more than adequate (though not Abel or Hatch grade), the proportions are very good and the weight to capacity ratio better, facilitating excellent balance and fine tunable performance for big water trout rods.

It won't help you now but, if you read my reel report from Somerset, Abel is working on a light weight, stacked, sealed drag model in trout sizes. This is potentially the next big deal for the performance biased trout angler.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:55 AM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough

S&S, what would the advantage be of having a sealed drag for trout?
Old 02-06-2014, 10:09 AM

Mike, Many people believe A sealed drag prevents dirt and other matter from entering the drag system and causing it to fail. Not necessary for trout but when it comes down to it nothing is really necessary. It's all just for fun! Is that what you mean?
Old 02-06-2014, 10:48 AM

Yep, that was exactly what I was looking for. lol Completely understand what you are saying and it makes sense. I know the sealed drag is huge in salt, but wasn't sure the application for trout. I get what you mean by nothing is "necessary" too. Def don't need the power of the Abel drag for trout, but love the reel!
Old 02-06-2014, 10:49 AM

Stacked, sealed drag modules are the (appropriate) style of the moment in fly reels. I do not consider them the be all and end all in reel design as, as Space Shuttle Challenger taught us, any thing man can seal (a very costly "O" ring) can fail. A failed sealed drag in the Bahamas where there is no fly shop or UPS to the rescue, is a useless reel. A contaminated cork draw-bar Abel, Tibor or Islander can be easily disassembled, cleaned, re-lubed and you are back in business.

I strongly prefer a suitable drag in a trout reel over a classic spring and pawl over run check design (with small brooks being an exception) as I believe anglers of equal experience bring a strong trout to net some % quicker facilitating safer release. In the Abel draw-bar design one is compressing a stout coil spring which applies pressure to the flat interior surface of the spool against the drag plate upon which is mounted the cork disc. The fine tunability of this adjustment is determined by the spacing of detents in the drag knob. The relationship between that spacing and the rate of the spring determines how fine a variable adjustment is attainable. The compression of a multi disc stacked system as in the Hatch, Hardy U DD and future Abel is substantially finer incrementally as the coil spring and its fixed rate is eliminated. Detents, if there are any, are much closer together (very fine in the prototype I examined) implying a significantly more finely adjusting degree of drag pressure most relevant when setting one's reel to fish small flies on light tippets.

I have no issue lubricating and maintaining my reels; ease of use is not meaningful to me. Bonefishing, using 12 to 18 lb. fluorocarbon tippets, I want a linear, fade-free drag that will assist me in turning a big boy during his steak toward those mangroves. On the Fork, I want a low inertial startup drag that is super finely adjustable to not pop a 5X tippet or bend out a #16 dry fly hook but to help me bring a thick slab of rainbow to net so I can release her while still green.
mrfzx, winstonwt and ts47 like this.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:26 PM

I got the 4+ Glad I did! I like it on both my 9' 4 and 5 wts. At this very moment I do not want another reel. Seriously...
Old 02-22-2014, 11:04 PM

almonde will become famous soon enoughalmonde will become famous soon enough

I bought the 3+ for my 9' 5wt H2, on the advice of people on here and the guys in the fly shop. I think i could have easily put a 4+ on the H2, but the 3+ is fine. Going 3+ did save me $50 as well

I can tell its on the small side for a 5wt as the reel seat only just has enough threads to hold the hatch's reel foot.

The proportioning of the 3+ looks fine on the H2 and the slight weight reduction is nice. There is ample backing on the 3+ with a 5wt line in my opinion.