The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 05:21 PM

clibb is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly Reel under $100

Thanks for all of the replies guys, I appreciate it very much! For my father-in-law I think I will get the Okuma SLV 5/6 weight due to amazing reviews. For myself, I'll probably end up getting the Trout II or something higher from Allen. I've been drooling over that reel for a long time now, haha.
Then, I'm going to throw my Albright reel into fire, that thing ruined my Trout stalker line immediately. The drag is completely useless on that reel, too.
mridenour likes this.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:11 AM

moucheur2003 is just really nicemoucheur2003 is just really nicemoucheur2003 is just really nicemoucheur2003 is just really nicemoucheur2003 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by clibb View Post
Thanks for all of the replies guys, I appreciate it very much! For my father-in-law I think I will get the Okuma SLV 5/6 weight due to amazing reviews. For myself, I'll probably end up getting the Trout II or something higher from Allen. I've been drooling over that reel for a long time now, haha.
Then, I'm going to throw my Albright reel into fire, that thing ruined my Trout stalker line immediately. The drag is completely useless on that reel, too.
Which model Albright?
Old 02-28-2014, 04:41 AM

kylebass91 has a spectacular aura aboutkylebass91 has a spectacular aura about

I agree with anything Lamson, I have Lamsons on all of my rods sept for my 2 weight. Also a decent starting reel is a White River (Bass pro shops) Hobbs creek. They recently revamped the reel but if its anything like the old one its bullet proof and its only around $50
Old 02-28-2014, 08:11 AM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough

Just to add my 2 cents, I own a couple SLVs (7/8 and 4/5) and they are fine. Not the prettiest reel but they are light and have a nice smooth drag system. I haven't yet tested the drag under fire, however. And my only (minor) complaint is that the spool spins so freely that the reel takes up line while I am false casting.

I also own an Orvis Clearwater (current version) that is a very high quality cast reel, though the drag needs improvement. Still, a solid value.

Last edited by bloomagoo; 02-28-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:30 AM

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomagoo View Post
Just to add my 2 cents, I own a couple SLVs (7/8 and 4/5) and they are fine. Not the prettiest reel but they are light and have a nice smooth drag system. I haven't yet tested the drag under fire, however. And my only (minor) complaint is that the spool spins so freely that the reel takes up line while you are casting.

I also own an Orvis Clearwater (current version) that is a very high quality cast reel, though the drag needs improvement. Still, a solid value.
That's right! Now I remember why I sold off all my slv reels... That is quite annoying... Also the drag was super touchy and easily loosened up...
Old 02-28-2014, 10:49 AM

wjl will become famous soon enough

This is just an example of what Fishwest has, seconds are just little scratches in the finish. I picked up a Lamson Litespeed 2 for $180 last fall. The scratch in the finish was underneath where the screws attach to the foot. I never see it and it does not effect the reels performance at all. Also picked up a extra spool for $65 because the backside coating was not 100% smooth. Because I was local I picked it up and to my surprise no tax.

eBay link but call and they will tell you others they have.
Waterworks Lamson Fly Fishing Konic II Fly Reel Size 2 Blemished | eBay
Old 03-02-2014, 02:08 PM

Location: Yreka (about 35 miles south of Ashland, OR) California
bamboofisher is on a distinguished road

I have two Okuma Integrity's, the 5/6 and the 7/8. They are built like tanks and feature one of the smoothest drag systems I've ever used. Great value for the $$. The only complaint I have with the 5/6 is that it's a bit on the heavy side to use with a 5wt rod so this reel is the one that I use on my 6 wts. I wish they made this reel one size lighter (a 4/5). I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

I have an Okuma Sierra 5/6 as well. It's a heavy, solid, plain vanilla looking thing. It certainly does the job. I probably won't buy another one though.

I also have two Cabela's Prestige Plus reels (the I and the II) that I like quite well. They're not the fanciest reels out there but they do the job. The Prestige Plus I is the only reel I have for my 4 wts. Cabela's has these on sale right for $24.99. Been thinking about getting spare spool for my Prestige Plus I but maybe I'll just get another reel since they're the same price as the spools?
Old 03-04-2014, 03:24 PM

rjsac09 is on a distinguished road

I am in the same boat looking for a decent reel for under $100. I have an Okuma SLV 5/6, but haven't had any fish on it that I had to get down the the drag on. Now I have a Sage 8100 that I hope to get some running fish on (Carp, Pike, Steelhead, Maybe some saltwater).

What does everyone think of the Wind River reels from Cabelas? I heard they were made by Lamson? Pretty nice looking reel for $30...
Old 03-04-2014, 09:03 PM

Location: Yreka (about 35 miles south of Ashland, OR) California
bamboofisher is on a distinguished road

You might want to take a look at the Prestige Plus reels too. Right now they're on sale for $24.99....
Old 03-05-2014, 12:12 AM

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of

Personally the Prestige looks cheap to me... Owned one... Dropped it once and broke the spool... I'll never own another one.