The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 04:55 PM

stillwading will become famous soon enoughstillwading will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fly Reel under $100

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomagoo View Post
Just to add my 2 cents, I own a couple SLVs (7/8 and 4/5) and they are fine. Not the prettiest reel but they are light and have a nice smooth drag system. I haven't yet tested the drag under fire, however. And my only (minor) complaint is that the spool spins so freely that the reel takes up line while I am false casting.
I use the SLV on my 6wt and 9wt. You hit the only complaint I have as well about the SLV's and as you said, it's minor.

The SLV's have served me well the past few years, caught plenty of big fish. The drag works fine for carp, pike, dogfish, and lake run trout (Superior Steelhead/Brown trouts)... still searching for that musky though.

Definitely a sub $100 reel i'd recommend to anyone.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:21 PM

gregnash will become famous soon enough

If you dont mind used there are plenty of deals to be had on ebay and the classifieds here. I was able to pick up an Orvis Battenkill Disc 5/6 a few weeks back for ~$65 to my door. Free part from Orvis to replace the Click and Pawl spring and she is more than back in business. I have to say that with the drag turned all the way up this thing feels like it could stop a freight train. Look and feel definitely fit my Redington CT 5wt perfectly.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:29 PM

rjsac09 is on a distinguished road

Ended up getting a Redington Pursuit reel from the local fly shop. $60 out the door and I am pretty happy with it. Now I can't wait to give the drag a try on a worth fish

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
ulflyfisherman likes this.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:32 AM

rjsac09 is on a distinguished road

Another update from me. I ordered one of the Cabelas Wind River fly reels last week ($20) to get me to cheaper shipping on some items I had ordered and I am really impressed with the reel. I am so impressed I think I am actually going to be taking the Redington reel back. I was hesitant on the Redington reel due to the plastic spool, but once I saw the Wind River reel I knew for sure that is what I needed. The first reel I ordered was a 4wt and I ordered their 8wt version last night. For the price it has to be hard to beat especially for a guy that is on a budget and due to the fact that I am not real sure how much I am going to be using the larger reel.

I haven't gotten either lined up or used yet, but plan to follow up with a review once I am able to get them out!
andrew_rigsby likes this.