The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 08:11 AM

clibb is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Reel under $100

Hey guys,

Looking for a decent fly reel for under $100 for my father-in-law. Nees to be a 5 or 6 weight. I was looking at Ross and Okuma, any experience?

Also, I'm looking for a reel myself for around $150-$200, I'd describe myself as an intermediate-advanced fly fisherman. Mostly lake fishing with a 6 weight. I have been using the same reel for 8 years and now that one is almost done, so it's time to get a new one.

Thanks for your help,

/Robin
Old 02-26-2014, 08:45 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fly Reel under $100

Sage 1800 series on sierra trading post for $75 or an Okuma SLV or Integrity off the auction site... Both are solid reels for under $100...

Just a side note... The 1800s are big... I ended up buying the 1850 for a 7wt... And the Integrity is kinda compact and use a 7/8 on my 6wt...

Between the Okumas the Integrity is built like a tank and the SLV is lighter... I'd go with the Integrity overall... Just make sure to not get the black ones... They have a horrible drag knob that's sure to snag line from time to time
Old 02-26-2014, 09:06 AM

gregnash will become famous soon enough

What type of fishing is this going to be for? I would recommend the Orvis Battenkill II, $98 at Orvis and if you signup for their newsletter they will occassionally send you $25 off coupons.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:39 AM

dar is on a distinguished road

Hi clibb, I don't have any experience with either of the reels that you mentioned. But I have looked at the SLV and it seems like a good reel. I also know a Smallmouth Bass guide who uses Ross on all of his boat rods.

With that said, I have a ton of fly reels, but if it were me, I would look at the reels offered by Allen Fly Fishing. I have one of their Trout 2 reels on my 5wt and it is a nice reel. Here is a link: Allen Fly Fishing

And no I do not repersent or sell for Allen. Just a satisfied customer.

Dave
Old 02-26-2014, 10:35 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
Sage 1800 series on sierra trading post for $75 or an Okuma SLV or Integrity off the auction site... Both are solid reels for under $100...

Just a side note... The 1800s are big... I ended up buying the 1850 for a 7wt
If you can still find these, grab one. They are big, and not the coolest looking reels out there but they are a completely sealed drag and in a saltwater safe finish. getting these things in a reel that's under 100 bucks is a steal.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-26-2014, 10:58 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
If you can still find these, grab one. They are big, and not the coolest looking reels out there but they are a completely sealed drag and in a saltwater safe finish. getting these things in a reel that's under 100 bucks is a steal.
STP still had plenty last I checked
Old 02-26-2014, 12:22 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Allen and Orvis both have a reel at the $100 mark, both great companies that will stand behind their products. I've had luck with reels from The Angler's Roost that run more like $50 or $60 though for a bit more I'd pay up for the good customer service.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:46 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I've got several Okuma reels in various sizes in both the Integrity & Sierra models. Very good reels for the price. Never had any issues with any of them.

Can't comment on how they'll compare to reels others have mentioned since I've never used any of them. However, I also own a Lamson LP2 that I've had since 1989, (great reel BTW) and so far the Okuma's have held their own comparatively.
itchmesir likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-26-2014, 01:12 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

I own three reels: Lamson Radius, Cabelas Prestige Premier and an Allen Alpha III. Realize there are much more expensive reels out there, but these are all good reels. I must say, for the money, the Allen reel is really, really nice. They give you a Big Bang for the buck.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:17 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

The Okuma reels mentioned have been in production for a long time. There is a good reason for that. They work well, are sturdy without being too heavy, and they last. I know a guy uses the SLV on his pricey Sage rods for steelhead. THe L L Bean Pocketwater is another fine reel for a 5 wt. rod.
bigjim5589 and itchmesir like this.