The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2014, 08:37 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sealed Drag Reels

That too is a great outfit. My S4s is already taken with a Hatch 7+ and an Airflo Ridge Tropic. I fished the Chard Grand Slam on my Hardy Proaxis last week in wind and I liked it but my guides did not. To a man they opined that, "dat hissing sound goes through de line into de water and scares dem bonefish, mon!" My Androsian guides are not physicists but neither am I. They are keen observers of bonefish though. This is a question I intend to delve further into. Also I am thinking about writing up some of the other flats specific lines I have been experimenting with.
fly2field likes this.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:08 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I fished the Chard Grand Slam on my Hardy Proaxis last week in wind and I liked it but my guides did not. To a man they opined that, "dat hissing sound goes through de line into de water and scares dem bonefish, mon!" My Androsian guides are not physicists but neither am I. They are keen observers of bonefish though. This is a question I intend to delve further into.
Interesting. Yours is the second comment I've read this week on the possibility that textured lines might be spooking bonefish. I give a LOT of credence to "keen observation." My first thought was that in a little wind the sound of the line through guides would be lost, but I suspect the issue is more during the retrieve.

Admittedly, my use of the Chard has been down on Long Island where the bones are not quite as spooky as your Androsian ghosts. And what I like about the line is how well/quickly it can be shot so there's the potential trade-off between a little noise and a few less false casts. It may come down to the location.

So, like you, I think the proposition merits further investigation. The more the better.

Good stuff!

Mike

Last edited by Sep; 03-28-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:51 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

And my thought was, the slap of the wavelets agents the chines of the skiff, the thumps of us moving around in the boat, the crunch of the push pool against the flats bottom...all sound like more noise than the frictional sound of line in the guides. And if it from the line in the guides is that not air-born sound which is alleged to not transmit well to the denser medium of water? "No, mon, dey hear de hiss!"
fly2field likes this.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:51 AM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
That too is a great outfit. My S4s is already taken with a Hatch 7+ and an Airflo Ridge Tropic. I fished the Chard Grand Slam on my Hardy Proaxis last week in wind and I liked it but my guides did not. To a man they opined that, "dat hissing sound goes through de line into de water and scares dem bonefish, mon!" My Androsian guides are not physicists but neither am I. They are keen observers of bonefish though. This is a question I intend to delve further into. Also I am thinking about writing up some of the other flats specific lines I have been experimenting with.
Have you fished Liquid Crystal yet? I was Randi Swisher at the Midwest (MI) show (you really ought to come some time) and we were casting it with the local Far Bank rep. Even he was impressed by that line. I've got some guys in Belize who won't use anything else.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:18 PM

Yes, Burk, on your recommendation I did fish Liquid Crystal #8 on my Proaxis #8, in the new blue tint and dug it. When I collect my thoughts and have the time I am going to start a flats line thread.
burk48237 and fly2field like this.