The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2014, 12:57 PM

shifty242 has a spectacular aura aboutshifty242 has a spectacular aura about
Default Vintage Reel for a vintage rod...

This week I added an 8'6 Howald Wonderod 1380T to my collection. It came with the original sock and tube and I got it for around $40. I would like to pair it with a vintage reel. What suggestions do you have?

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2014, 03:07 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Vintage Reel for a vintage rod...

I have a Wonderod paired with a JW Young Condex. It was my father-in-law's, and he used to use a Martin automatic, but I didn't like the automatic so I got the Condex. There are several Young's models that would be a good match. Pflueger Medalist of a similar vintage would also be quite appropriate. You don't want to get too fancy because the Wonderod was not a luxury item.
siege and shifty242 like this.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:50 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Medalists are a good option. I'd also look at the Pflueger Gem which is a sleeper reel. Martin reels are another good option.

“You can’t waste your life making money, and then go back and try to buy your life back.”
shifty242 likes this.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:32 PM

shifty242 has a spectacular aura aboutshifty242 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
I have a Wonderod paired with a JW Young Condex. It was my father-in-law's, and he used to use a Martin automatic, but I didn't like the automatic so I got the Condex. There are several Young's models that would be a good match. Pflueger Medalist of a similar vintage would also be quite appropriate. You don't want to get too fancy because the Wonderod was not a luxury item.
Moucheur,

Definitely NOT a luxury item, but an interesting $40 find on Craig's List. I like the idea of the Condex, but I don't know much about them. I looked at the Medalist b/c the price point is great. Do you know which models I should look at for a 7wt line?
Old 03-29-2014, 04:54 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I'd suggest a 1495.
shifty242 likes this.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:29 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

for a Medalist, yes the 1495

For a Condex I think 3 1/2" or a Pridex as well

I'm thinking...
mojo and shifty242 like this.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:52 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I just can't seem to find any love for any Medalist. A JW Young or a C Farlow gets my vote. A 1110 Southbend would also look good.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:25 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthief View Post
for a Medalist, yes the 1495

For a Condex I think 3 1/2" or a Pridex as well

I'm thinking...
I agree.

(Actually I was hunting for a Pridex but found the Condex first. Beaudex would be another one.)

Old Youngs Models

---------- Post added at 05:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
I just can't seem to find any love for any Medalist. A JW Young or a C Farlow gets my vote. A 1110 Southbend would also look good.
My wife and I took the kids on a family vacation to England a couple of years ago. While walking to Buckingham Palace to see the Changing of the Guard, we walked right by the Farlows shop on Pall Mall, so of course I had to stop in. I was disappointed to find they have abandoned just about all of their own-branded stuff and are now just another generic tackle shop (although they do still carry tweedy hunting jackets and breeks and deerstalker hats that you can't even find at Orvis anymore). I did manage to find the last leather-covered, felt-page fly wallet they had on the shelf with the Farlows logo embossed on it, so I bought that. (I still have yet to tie a bunch of classic wet flies to fill it with.)

http://www.farlows.co.uk/farlows-men...lue-check.html

When we eventually got to Buckingham Palace and the Guard showed up, we were surprised to hear the marching band play Sousa's "Liberty Bell" march and the Village People's "YMCA". I guess the sun finally has set on the British Empire.
mojo and mrfzx like this.

Last edited by moucheur2003; 03-30-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:27 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Condex were a Good Reel I used one for many years along with Shakespeare's Abu's & a couple of other Reels all of which I still have.
Brian.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
(although they do still carry tweedy hunting jackets and breeks and deerstalker hats that you can't even find at Orvis anymore).
Oops, looks as though I misspoke.

Tweed Shooting Breeks / Manor Tweed Breeks -- Orvis