The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 02:51 PM
adrian191

Default Fly reel

So i just orderes the Greys XF2 streamflex and i want to pair it with a reel. MY budget is 100 to 150. And i dont want the orvis batenkill I dont realy like it.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:32 PM

ulflyfisherman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly reel

Cabelas has the Sage 1800 series reels on sale for $79.00. That is a very hard deal to pass up. Sage, sealed carbon drag, under $80, sleek looks....what's not to love!
Old 03-31-2014, 06:26 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

Do you have a preference as to drag type ie click pawl or disk type? What about machined vs cast?

I personally think you aren't going to find a better reel for the price then the recently discontinued Lamson Velocity. I've seen it listed as low as $135. Any other reel that comes close would run you at least $100 more and probably still wouldn't be as light or have as nice a drag system.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:31 PM
adrian191

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
Do you have a preference as to drag type ie click pawl or disk type? What about machined vs cast?

I personally think you aren't going to find a better reel for the price then the recently discontinued Lamson Velocity. I've seen it listed as low as $135. Any other reel that comes close would run you at least $100 more and probably still wouldn't be as light or have as nice a drag system.
I forgot to mention that this is my first actuall reel. And i dont know the diffrence in click pawl or disk is. Also isnt a machined real better.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:47 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

pawls are triangular shapes (usually metal) that bear against the toothed gear on the spool

discs are just that, a circular disc against which pressure is made for drag - you can find many photos of these on ebay

here is a topic from fiberglass flyrodders forum with photos to illustrate pawl and click reels: http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/foru...=1396&start=25

good reels in your range are used Hardy Marquis and their cousins the Scientific Anglers System reels, System 4, System 5 etc.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:59 PM

witrouter is on a distinguished road

The Lamson Konic is within your price range and is a great reel IMO. I have one on my 3wt and my 8wt and they have never failed me yet.
And they have the same drag system as the higher end Lamson reels.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:19 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

check out the allen trout serirs reels.
great reels and great company
Reels - Allen Fly Fishing Store

casey
mridenour likes this.

ARFE
Old 04-01-2014, 08:34 AM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

Allen Trout II reel!
mridenour likes this.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:25 PM
adrian191

Yes, i was looking at the allen trout II reel. Either that the lamson konic, or the orvis Access mid arbor. I really like the look of the allen reel and the review are great. Btw way who ever has it can you post a picture of it. I either want the green or the orange. I wanna see it on a picture because i no it will look diffrent on the allen site and an actual picture.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:36 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

All of these suggestions are good ones. Any of the reels mentioned here would serve you very well. In deciding between the reels mentioned, it may be more about what you think looks good and the price, rather than which one is the best.

I am assuming you likely bought a 5wt rod for trout fishing? Something that would help us help you is to share the length & rating (5wt, etc) for the rod and what type of fishing you will be using it for. The suggestion you get for trout may be very different than the suggestion you would get if you were, say, steelhead fishing.

One suggestion I will make is to consider a reel one size up from the size rated for your weight rod. Reels have gotten very light these days. I often find that a slightly larger reel will help you to better balance your rig.

Also, you will likely want to buy a reel with a disk drag. Some people buy the click & pawl because they like it better, not because it is a better drag system. If this is your first reel and you are simply looking for something good that you can afford, a disk drag is the way to go.

Todd

Edit: BTW... That Greys rod is nice one. I hope you enjoy it!