The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 11:30 AM

robbinsj43 is on a distinguished road
Default Browning Waterloo Fly Reel

Does anyone have any information about a Browning Waterloo Fly Reel 5/6? I am inheriting one of these and need some information about a manual for cleaning and setting up the reel for left-hand reeling.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Browning Waterloo Fly Reel

Hi,

If you've already searched on-line and came up dry I don't know where to point you. Most of the older Browning reels are pretty simple design, once you have it you can take a photo and then post that here. When seeing the reel it will be easy to tell you if there is a trick to changing from right to left retrieve. Some require a little tinkering, some not so much.

Welcome to the Forum,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-07-2014, 01:22 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I think that you mean Waterton not Waterloo.
Does it look like this one ?
It's a Martin and I think that most Brownings were Martin made

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:38 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

it could possibly be a martin zeus fly reel made for browning.
hmmmm?

ARFE
Old 04-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'm waiting for the picture..............

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-11-2014, 03:42 PM

robbinsj43 is on a distinguished road

Rip Tide, you are right. It is a Browning Waterton 56 fly reel. It does not look like the Martin pictured on your post. I got the reel and matching rod a Waterton VII 7 1/2 foot 4 weight with a cork and ring reel seat. Rod is almost new. I have a similar Browning Waterton VII 8' 5-weight rod, too, which I purchased about 20 years ago new for $70, from a Browning Rep who was trying to move some closeout stock. Not a bad deal for a $200 rod.

Hardyreels, you are right, too. I took the reel apart and cleaned, lightly oiled, and adjusted the drag. Very easy to take apart, adjust, and configure for left-hand retrieve. Just wish I could get some paperwork about the reel from a collector's standpoint.

The reel looks like it could have been designed by Martin or Abel.

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

Hardyreels,
Sorry for not including a pic. My reel doesn't look like the one pictured on this post. It doesn't have a click and pawl drag system, but a circular plate with teeth which engages a clicking mechanism which is like a pawl. This is engaged by turning a dial from off to on on the outside of the reel body. There is also a knob on the outside of the reel body for tightening and loosening the drag, similar to the first generation Abel and Ross reels. The spool has a round steel disc which can be removed by loosening two Phillips head screws and then reversing the disc to change from right to left hand retrieve. This center of this disc, which is a hard black material, rotates in only one direction either counter clock-wise for left hand retrieve, or clock-wise for right hand retrieve, depending on which side of the disc is facing outward. This steel disc is really two discs riveted together. The surface of this disc has 4 slots which engage four prongs on the toothed disc on the reel body, to activate the disc drag. It a pretty neat and fairly simple reel to disassemble and service.

By the way, are you associated with Hardy and Greys, Limited here in the USA? If so, do you know John Shaner from Endwell, NY who is one of the sales managers for Hardy and Greys? I've met John on several occasions at the Fly Fishing shows in North Carolina, and he was very helpful in introducing
me to Ken Hodgen who used to work for Hardy's USA before they closed the US operation. Ken is very knowledgeable about Hardy reels and helped me by servicing my old Hardy Perfect , Hardy Marquis #5, and very old Hardy Princess. I assume he still lives in Lancaster, PA.