The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By shifty242
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By shifty242
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 10:29 PM

shifty242 has a spectacular aura aboutshifty242 has a spectacular aura about
Default ZYZ Reels

I could not resist and bought one of these reels on eBay. Does anyone else have experience with them?

Rockthief, your comment from the FFR thread helped me take the plunge. So it's partially your fault!
Old 04-12-2014, 12:51 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: ZYZ Reels

Hi,

I went and took a look at them and based on the price I expect they are a pretty well machined reel, correct? The ones I found had a classic look with an S handle, they look like a Saracione reel. At 149.99 I don't see them as being cheap for a clicker, they look good from here.

Ard
shifty242 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-12-2014, 07:53 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I did a Google search and found a nice write up on the ZYZ classic reels on the Fiberglass Flyrodders forum if interested in reading that. The early 2007 reels had some quality control issues, but that has been fixed, they look to be pretty well made for a clicker reel. Apparently, if you contact the American rep you can order the reels is several different color variations and engraving options.

Larry
shifty242 likes this.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:52 AM

Ard,

The certainly seem that way, but it's always hard to tell based on pictures. You're right that they are not exactly a steal, but the price will allow me to satisfy my curiosity without too much guilt.

Larry,

Thanks for the PM. As you pointed out, there is a great review on the reels on the Fiberglass Flyrodders Forum. It started in 2007 and the last detailed post came in 2009. I am a big fan of this forum as well and wanted to see if any of the experts here had any first-hand experience or any other info to share from the past 5 yrs.

The reason I bought the ZYZ is b/c a Kineya I ordered (to be paired with a Ijuin 6'6 3wt fiberglass rod) is taking a lot longer than I ever imagined to be shipped from Japan. My first trip of the year is coming up at the end of the month (Mother's Day Hatch on the Arkansas River outside of Salida CO) and I really wanted to try out my new rod. The ZYZ contact assured me I would have it before the, so I will get a chance to post a picture and "review" in the near future.

Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate your willingness to help!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:04 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome! Best of luck on your fishing trip to the Arkansas river. I just finished watching a nice video on the Orvis Fly Fishing blog where two guys were catching Rainbow after Rainbow on the Ark. For what it's worth, I heard that last year's Caddis hatch wasn't very good on the Ark, hopefully this year will be much better. Last year I was thinking about going down to the Ark for a week's fishing the Mother's Day hatch, but then I checked the mileage and found that it was 500 miles from here in Pinedale, so I decided against it. I have driven hwy 50 and it sure looks like great water with lots of public access.

Larry
shifty242 likes this.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:33 PM

Thanks Larry. The Arkansas just outside of Salida is where a friend of mine took me on my first fly fishing trip about 6 years ago. The clouds of caddis were so think in places that you had to swat them away from your face. The browns we caught that day seemed to literally appear from nowhere and crash our dry flies. With no prior experience, I thought it was like that most of the time.

So this will be my first trip back to that spot. A high school buddy lives in Colorado Springs, which is not terribly far away, and we'll either day trip it or find a cheap hotel in Salida. If the hatches aren't great this year, we will just drive over to one of the tailwaters west of CS. Eleven-Mile Canyon is another place worth exploring if you have never been there.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I used to fish those same places. I fished in a lot of the tributary creeks too, a 6'6" is just about perfect for some of them. I have a few little rods that I bring when I come to visit in CO. Springs. I spent a year fishing in your state and although I didn't get to every river & creek I have a lot of fond memories.

Ard
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;