The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2014, 02:55 PM

markfrid is a jewel in the roughmarkfrid is a jewel in the roughmarkfrid is a jewel in the rough
Default Vintage heavier-duty reel?

I'm looking for a 7-8-9 reel that won't break the bank, but still be strong enough for bigger fish. I sometimes see for sale old Ross Cimmaron 4's, Gunnison 4's and recently, a Galvan Standard 3.5. I know they are all good reels - but are they suitable for an 8-wt, fishing for sockeye's and Alaska rainbows? Light steelhead? Anybody have experience with these?

Thanks in advance,

Mark
Old 04-13-2014, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Vintage heavier-duty reel?

Hi Mark,

What size rod are you going to put the reel on? I have a couple of the original Orvis Vortex reels that I really like. They are heavy but they work great. They made them in size 7/8 and they appear on auction frequently. prices can vary but I've seen them sell around 225 regularly, worth that in my book any time.

Another reel that I have had great service from are the Hardy Viscount LA size 7/8 reels. I have 2 of those also and have landed everything we have here with them. These too are a discontinued reel available only on auction.

In new reels I have the Hardy Uniqua in the large arbor 11/12 reel. This has the same drag as most of the hardy reels including the DD I think. Good reel, good drag, good price.

I used a Marquis #2 for years and although you have to palm them they work well. A disc drag is preferable if you have a busy day though.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-13-2014, 04:21 PM

dar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfrid View Post
I'm looking for a 7-8-9 reel that won't break the bank, but still be strong enough for bigger fish. I sometimes see for sale old Ross Cimmaron 4's, Gunnison 4's and recently, a Galvan Standard 3.5. I know they are all good reels - but are they suitable for an 8-wt, fishing for sockeye's and Alaska rainbows? Light steelhead? Anybody have experience with these?

Thanks in advance,

Mark
Mark, I have a Cimarron 4 on my 8wt. They're a good reel. Check out tradenstuff.com. He normally has a good variety of Ross reels.

Dave
Old 04-14-2014, 06:39 PM

labtrout will become famous soon enoughlabtrout will become famous soon enough

I fished in Labrador a few years back with a Ross Gunnison G4 on my 8-weight rod and it handled landlocked salmon to 5 lbs., lake trout to 9 lbs. and even a 42-inch pike. Gunnisons are tough, reliable reels with a smooth disc drag. I still fish my G2 on my 6-weight regularly.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:50 AM

greygearhead is on a distinguished road

I have a G4 I purchased new in 1991 at the Yellow Freight / UPS salvage store in K.C. The box was broken but the reel was perfect. I only used it on trips to the coast south of Cancun (twice in the early 90's) and Canada (3 trips in 93-95) other than that it lives in a dry dark basement with it's companion G3 and a Sage RP790. All the gear is in VERY good condition and hardly used. It all needs to go as I'm 68 and in cancer recovery and have TOO MUCH stuff!

PS: I know this is an older post but I'm a new member and maybe somebody might be looking for the same thing.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:29 AM

bwf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfrid View Post

Thanks in advance,

Mark
Those are good reels and will get the job done. If going up to 8-9 weight you might want to think about the C5/G5 reels. A little bigger, better balance, more backing. They are 4" diameter.
Many choices out there but I think you have targeted good reels for the job.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:11 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I've caught countless salmon on my Cimmaron, it's never so much as hiccuped.
I don't think you will be disappointed.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 07-23-2014, 12:56 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Vintage? Heavier-duty? 7-8-9? That won't break the bank?

Click the image to open in full size.

Waiter, check please.

At times, it seems nowadays it's easier to find a good deal on a larger line weight quality reel, than it is to do the same when looking for a four or five weight reel. I've seen some of the single pawl Abel Supers go for less than some guys want for a minty or VG condition Gunnison. While I respect that and have owned both, there seems to be a disconnect between price, prestige and performance expectations.

Dave
Old 07-23-2014, 08:00 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

OK, TT, that looks like a vintage heavier duty reel. Always remember to chose a reel to a. balance with a given rod, b. have appropriate backing/line capacity for the intended fishing (200 yds. #30 for heavier line weights) and c. have drag commensurate with the task at hand. When in doubt go bigger.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:01 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

That's a beautiful reel, Dave--what is that?

Mark, I like Ross Reels--I fish with a Rhythm, a CLA, and a Momentum--and those older models are excellent as well. You might also want to consider a Scientific Anglers 2. They don't make them anymore but you can find them used for cheap. Disc drag, though not sealed, but pretty bomb-proof and they can stop anything you can catch. They come in 7/8 weight and 8/9 weight.

Scott