The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Liphookedau

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2014, 09:50 PM

afjim88 is on a distinguished road
Default Salmon reel choice

We'll first time posting and hoping to get some guidance. I received $400 in bass pro gift cards from family and want to purchase a reel for salmon fishing here in michigan.

I know I need a 9 weight due to local advice but according to what bass pro carries I am limited to either lamson litespeed iv, lamson guru or sage 4200 series reels. I know they are not the top overall picks but of those what would be the best bet? As far as a rod goes I will have a tfo bvk from my dad he is handing down, he also has a tfo axiom but from what I have read the bvk is much better for casting. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salmon reel choice

Really don't think you can go wrong with any of those reels, kind of partial to Lamson myself.

BTW...welcome to the forum.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-13-2014, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I agree with John, and I second the whole welcome to the forum thing

Hopefully you'll poke around here and discover that this is the largest fly fishing forum on the internet! No kidding, we have more content, more users and more pages than half a dozen forums combined. Snoop around and post as often as you want.

Ard

PS, What's a Super Moderator anyway

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-13-2014, 11:34 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by afjim88 View Post
We'll first time posting and hoping to get some guidance. I received $400 in bass pro gift cards from family and want to purchase a reel for salmon fishing here in michigan.
Welcome to the forum, and lucky you!

Quote:
I know I need a 9 weight due to local advice but according to what bass pro carries I am limited to either lamson litespeed iv, lamson guru or sage 4200 series reels. I know they are not the top overall picks but of those what would be the best bet?
All are good reels, and like fyshstykr, I'm kind of partial to the Lamsons, but I may err towards the newer Speedster model. I prefer the narrower and taller design. It will pick up line faster with less chances of line stacking.

Quote:
As far as a rod goes I will have a tfo bvk from my dad he is handing down, he also has a tfo axiom but from what I have read the bvk is much better for casting. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I like the BVK more than the Axiom when it comes to casting. It's smoother. But I would rather use the Axiom since it has more backbone in the butt section which might be needed if you need to lean on that big fish.

Dennis
Old 04-14-2014, 06:59 PM

afjim88 is on a distinguished road

We'll I walked in to bass pro and after looking at all the reels I listed, they had a sage 4210 out of the box for $200. Not a scratch on it and normal price was $320. So after checking it out for awhile I took it knowing I can return if I want.

I still have $200 left over though which is a good thing. I was set on the lamson but the deal seemed too good to pass up. The only negative I read on the sage was its Korean made but other than that it's a good reel. Hoping I made the right decision.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:19 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi & welcome to The Forum Ard is Correct in saying this is The Largest as over The Years I've Looked up many many others who don't have The Traffic we do.
You will notice we have a Multi-Cultural Society as members here are from all over The World as well as all parts of The US & as we say in Australia all are Top Blokes The Majority whom I've not met..
Also any well made Reel regardless of where it's made as most Reels these days are manufactured on Chinese made Machines will handle Salmon & Trout OK just for some in The Big Waters you might need a little more Backing.
Even though perhaps The Best are The US & UK Made Classic Salmon Reels they are either hard to find as The owners still are using them or they are expensive.

Brian.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:21 PM

troutn has a spectacular aura abouttroutn has a spectacular aura about

My friend loves his guru-which he uses for trout. I just started him on salmon fishing/steelhead. He has been using the TFO BVK and loves it. Given, you are limited to Bass Pro, the Lamson is a choice that will not disappoint.
Good luck and welcome to "THE" forum.
Rick aka Troutn
Old 04-16-2014, 04:39 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Compare the spool widths of the different models you are considering. BPS also sells Orvis Hydros and Temple Fork BVK reels that would be good choices. I have several Lamsons on my 8-9 weight rods, and they are smooth as butter and have served me well, but their spools are so wide that you have to be careful when retrieving line to prevent it from bunching up and binding against the reel frame.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:53 PM

bwf is on a distinguished road

Be hard to go wrong with the many choices. I love the old lamson litespeed and velocities, don't know about their newer streamline looking reels. Only complaint was the pop off spool. Two reels worth taking a look at are Galvan Torque series and Bauer Rogue.

The Sage 4200's seem impressive and durable. Another consideration and have money for something else is the Redington Rise. Very good reviews out here in PNW. Solid reel, cool colors, and have 200 plus for something else.

Your in a good situation
Old 04-18-2014, 07:49 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

OK here's what I would do; sell the Sage, sell the gift card, buy a Hardy Marquis Salmon 1 and don't look back