The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 10:56 AM

coastrider will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Reel Recommendation for 7wt Rod

I have a Hardy Demon on my Beulah Platinum 7wt and used it exclusively for beach salmon fishing and have never had an issue, been my best reel to date. Other reels are Ross Cla and are bulletproof, use mine for searun cutties off the beach.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2014, 08:39 AM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Reel Recommendation for 7wt Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I have FWX 7/8 perfectly balanced on my ONE #5...a very light rod. And I have Torque T-6 perfectly balanced on my NRX #4 which is heavier than the ONE. It is true that FWX does not have the drag head room of their top tier, excellent NV saltwater reels but it definitely has enough and importantly smooth and fine tunable drag for most fishing situations. I have nothing personal against Waterworks/Lamson. I consider them to have innovative and clever ideas like designing the spool to be in balance sans added counterweight and I like the tech heavy look. And I imagine in many trout fishing situations they are just fine. It's when lots of line is taken and needs to be retrieved that fundamental design flaws are revealed. I have read their design philosophy on their web site and have spoken with them on the phone and their engineering concept about spool aspect ratio is accurate, it just doesn't fish well without undue attention. Too often a tackle company gets excited about an idea and determines to stick with it no matter what. Not just in our little fly fishing industry; GM used a faulty ignition assembly apparently for years on multiple models and knew it was no good. That is really about money of course whereas Lamson's proprietary design elements are about what...pride in uniqueness? Eventually they will go further in the direction of Speedster which I would not be surprised if it was inspired by some of the threads written in this Forum. No company understands performance reel characteristics better than Abel which has completed the transition across the Super series range for all models to be narrow "N's". I have seen early prototypes of Abel's forthcoming sealed, stacked drag trout sized reels and it won't be long, I suspect, that I will either have to add a 4th reel make to my "recommended" list or whittle it down to just one...

I have a lot of reels, old and new, which is how I have evolved relatively objective opinions about them. When I get a new rod I mount one after another reel on it until I find one that gives neutral balance with the fulcrum point being beneath where my thumb would be positioned on the grip. Of course all these reels would have backing and line on them; not necessarily the right line of course. I then check among my computerized records or on the internet to determine the weight of that reel empty and select from among reels I like or want to experiment with one of that weight. I am aware of no formula to pre-determine this based on rod weight an length, only this trial and error method. Some would like as light a reel as possible and that is cool but I dislike the sensation of the rod tip drooping downward as I stand in the ready position waiting for that bank feeder to rise again. If anything I prefer a reel to be a hair to heavy than too light. I like to have a reel dedicated to each rod in my active quivers and keep a log in my Documents as to what line and backing, date of set up or change in line to help keep the data straight. All the reel's backing is finished with a Bimini to facilitate line switching but that is a separate Forum topic.
Again S&S, I can only offer my thanks for your input.

Of the reels mentioned, the Galvin T-6 or Rush Light, and Hardy DD 7000 look like the most likely candidates. The Cheeky Mojo at 7 oz. seems to be the only reel that fits between that 5-8 oz. range. With the Galvan reels, the T-6 is far more attractive that the Rush Light. However, the Rush Light is, well, heavier. I find myself wishing there was a T-7 model as well. It will be interesting to see what Abel comes out with and if that reel comes available before I buy my 7wt. Do you have any thoughts on what "weight" reel might best balance a 9 and 10' 7 wt rod in the NRX/Zenith rods?

This is a side step from this thread. I'll need to buy two lines as well. Any thoughts on a floating or sink tip/head line for my purposes?

It's interesting... The more I learn about fly fishing, the more I realize I don't know about this sport. The knowledge contained by everyone in this forum and all the information in this thread has been very helpful.

Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

---------- Post added at 07:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastrider View Post
I have a Hardy Demon on my Beulah Platinum 7wt and used it exclusively for beach salmon fishing and have never had an issue, been my best reel to date. Other reels are Ross Cla and are bulletproof, use mine for searun cutties off the beach.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk
I looked for the Hardy Demon. It appears to be a discontinued reel. Did I miss something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

--Irish Blessing