The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 05:20 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about
Default Reel Recommendation for 7wt Rod

I'm looking for suggestions on a reel to put on a 7wt (haven't bought the rod yet) that would have an appropriate drag for anything from throwing Kelly Galloup streamers at large trout, to bass, to steelhead.

This is taking me into an area that I'm not so familiar with. I like the sealed drags and will probably buy a second spool to switch from floating to sinking line. Cost should be under $400 for the reel. I would typically just buy a Lamson. With all the conversation about line barreling, I decided to do a little research (learn about a few different brands) before making that decision.

The rod will likely be something like a Loomis, Zenith, Radian or Helios 2 in a 9 or 10'. I realize there will need to be some balancing done once I decide on a rod. My problem is I'm just not that familiar with the different brands or perhaps models and how much of a drag I would need for this kind of fishing.

I appreciate any help you can offer.

Todd

PS: If there is an existing thread somewhere that answers my question, please feel free to point me in that direction. I know sometimes these questions can get talked to death.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:15 PM

wjl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Reel Recommendation for 7wt Rod

Some to look at:
Ross Evolution LT # 4. $340.00 sealed I picked up a 4, I have not got to use it yet mounted on my 7 wt Winston BII. Balance with rio gold is spot on.
Hardy DD 7000. $260.00
Tibor sig 7-9. $775.00 sealed
Galvan T-6. $380.00 sealed

Bang for buck can't go wrong with Ross or Galvan, in your price range.
Good deal going on at eBay link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROSS-EVOLUTI...item2a34a74dea
jaybo41 and ts47 like this.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:06 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I am one of the complainants about the Lamson wide/ shallow line barreling issues.

That being said I just bought a Lamson Speedster 3 from Trident fly fishing ( a forum sponsor) . They have factory seconds at a screaming deal (still some 3's available as of right now) .If you didn't tell me it was a second I would have never known.

I am thinking of buying the Speedster 2 from them "just because its such a deal"
ts47 likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 04-16-2014, 09:07 PM

ulflyfisherman is on a distinguished road

Nautilus FWX 7/8 for $325 shipped, new. Or, there is a Nautilus FW7+ for $259 on ebay, mint condition. Either will be a kickash reel sealed drag (buttery smooth) and 100% made in the USA with an awesome warranty and even better customer service.
comeonavs likes this.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:52 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

As you may have read from me before, in this price range Nautilus FWX, Galvan Torque and Hardy Ultralite DD offer the quality, drag sweep area and tenability and fine large arbor proportions appropriate for your purposes.
jaybo41 and ts47 like this.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:07 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks everyone for the input!

My real question, which I think all of you answered quite well, was is there something different or more that I may need in a reel and/or drag system when you start talking about a heavier rod and bass & steelhead? From the responses you've given, I should be able to locate a reel that will be the right tool for the job.

Edit: I'm not familiar with some of these reels. I plan to look into them and may come back with a few more questions.

Todd

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
As you may have read from me before, in this price range Nautilus FWX, Galvan Torque and Hardy Ultralite DD offer the quality, drag sweep area and tenability and fine large arbor proportions appropriate for your purposes.
S&S,

I have one last question for you. I know your thoughts on many of the Lamson reels. I'm curious how you think the Lamson Speedster with its narrower profile ranks in quality of reel and drag to the three you mentioned on your list? Do you consider it to be a better reel, same league or doesn't measure up? and why?
Old 04-17-2014, 01:16 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

You can open up your range of choices quite a bit if you don't have your heart set on a sealed drag. I love a simple tool that can be disassembled and reassembled easily and cleaned. Kinda like a fine fire arm. Its just cool to clean it, and to know it intimately.
Hardyreels, audax and ts47 like this.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
You can open up your range of choices quite a bit if you don't have your heart set on a sealed drag. I love a simple tool that can be disassembled and reassembled easily and cleaned. Kinda like a fine fire arm. Its just cool to clean it, and to know it intimately.
If I have that kind of free time, I'll spend it fishing or tying flies! ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 04-17-2014, 01:36 PM

mylobass is on a distinguished road

I find my Nautilus FW is so light that it just can't balance a 9' rod well enough for me. If you decide on a 10' rod I would look elsewhere for sure. I have come to appreciate the slight heft of my Solitude mid harbor and no longer look at newer and lighter designs.
ts47 likes this.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:27 PM

audax will become famous soon enoughaudax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
My thoughts, too. User serviceability has an upside.

I wouldn't get too caught up with the drag. Untold numbers of steelhead, including fresh from the salt, are taken on reels with a simple "check" and palming rim.