The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2014, 07:52 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ross Introduces New Gunnison - Limited Edition

It is nice to see another classic coming back to life, even if only for a short run. These reels seem to have quite the loyal following--I wouldn't procrastinate TOO long Ard.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:12 AM

harry2110 is on a distinguished road

So has anyone that ordered one received theirs? I have the G3 on order for my 8wt which i know is 1 line size too large but Ill deal with less backing and was wondering on how they compared to the older ones?
Old 08-03-2014, 07:41 PM

cboz76 is on a distinguished road

They're also coming out with a new F1 that will be introduced at ICAST 2015
Old 08-13-2014, 02:19 PM

markfrid is a jewel in the roughmarkfrid is a jewel in the roughmarkfrid is a jewel in the rough

I agree with Mr. labtrout - they were, and still are, great reels. I picked up a G1 on the auction site that needed drag work. Sent it in to Ross with $35, they refurbished the drag, cleaned it and sent it back - 2 weeks total. My new favorite reel. Very smooth drag, not too heavy, but built like a tank. I like the retro look, too!

Mark
Old 08-14-2014, 08:41 AM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboz76 View Post
They're also coming out with a new F1 that will be introduced at ICAST 2015
That's kinda surprising as with the new company direction of going back to their philosophy and design roots I was expecting the F1 to be one of the first models on the chopping block. Hopefully it's lighter with a less space-age look.

I'm excited to see what they do next. I expected they would offer a new reel with a traditional but contemporary design and they brought out the Animas (although the two tone ruins it for me). Next should be a revamp of the CLA, then drop the overseas models. After that a maybe a next gen Evolution and Momentum. In-between all of that re-release the San Miguel and Colorado or Cimarron!
Old 08-14-2014, 04:51 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

I saw one while in PA and while visiting a friend, I ordered 1 from Cabela's. When I got back a few weeks ago, it was waiting. Absolutely perfect in size 1. I had planned on using it for my 9 ft. 4 wt. Z Axis; but mounted it on a 9 ft. 4 wt. Orvis Superfine Touch that was also waiting along with Orvis Superfine line. Perfect. I liked the reel so much that I ordered 2 more from Cabela's in size 1 for 2 other rods that I ordered, one a 8 1/2 ft. 3 wt. and a 8 ft. 2 wt. Superfine Touch from Orvis. Everything was here yesterday when I got home. One will go on my Z and the other will go with the 3 wt. The 2 wt. will get a different reel which will probably be a Orvis model CFO in size 1.