The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2014, 10:24 AM

seawood is on a distinguished road
Default Lamson Guru - waterproof or water resistant?

Hoping someone can shed some light on this. I purchased a new Lamson Guru 3.5 last summer for Atlantic Salmon fishing and being my first Lamson, initially was quite pleased with the new reel, other than the hokey plastic click thingy. After a few trips I started to notice moisture inside the drag. I found myself having to pull the spool off after almost every outing and dry out the insides of the reel.

Has anyone else notice this with Lasons products? From their website "we were able to seal the drag completely from moisture".

Not sure how the innards of this reel would fare longterm if I decided to forego my routine maintenance of dissecting my waterproof reel to dry it out.....
Old 04-30-2014, 03:33 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all
Default Re: Lamson Guru - waterproof or water resistant?

I always thought pulling off the spool and drying it out was routine with any reel. I also make sure I set out the spool when I can to make sure that the line dries. It's just some added insurance for a few minutes of my time.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:20 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Are you talking about the actual spool attachment rod or the drag itself?

The actual drag itself is sealed. nothing can get in or out of it, and they are not user serviceable. The slot the spool slides down into is not sealed. Thats normal for some moisture to get in there.
Sep likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-01-2014, 10:19 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Please correct me if I am in error and I do not have a Waterworks reel here to examine but when you remove the spool is not the one way clutch bearing used to convert he reel from right to left wind visible? Can you touch it to remove it to flip over? If so, like many reels advertising a "sealed" drag, it is not sealed.

From Waterworks FAQ's:
A – First, with the drag knob facing you, remove the spool (by holding the edge of the case with your fingers push your thumbs through the ports of the case and push the spool out). Put the spool aside. Holding the frame/case in your hand, unscrew the black cap with gear teeth at the end of the center cylinder. The clutch should fall out (tap lightly on flat surface if necessary). Flip the clutch over and reinstall. Female notches on the clutch must fit into male notches inside the cylinder. To ensure the clutch is fully seated and notches are properly engaged, use your pinky, ball point pen or similar clean tool to rotate clutch as necessary. Reinstall the cap by hand.
Please watch our instructional video that will visually walk you through this process.

If the retaining "black cap" is sealed in some way it may be a sealed drag. If not it obviously is not. An "O" ring in a grove spool retainer may be water repellent to one degree or another...in any event an appropriate degree of user maintainability is always appropriate.
mrfzx likes this.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:02 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

The spikey wheel you unscrew has an o ring on the underside of them. Everyone i've seen opened up has been dry inside.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-01-2014, 02:27 PM

seawood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
The spikey wheel you unscrew has an o ring on the underside of them. Everyone i've seen opened up has been dry inside.
Not mine....

On most occasions, I have had to pull the bearing, which was covered in moisture, clean the moisture out of the inside of the drag cassette and then leave the spool out to be sure it air dries completely. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't this all part of what is considered 'the drag'.

By no means is it a 'deal breaker' but part of the appeal to me was this reel's sealed drag system. Either it is waterproof or it isn't...there is no 'in betwen'. Mine is not waterproof.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 05-01-2014, 02:47 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Seawood, When Solar has tail walked you to the tail out then tried to return downstream to the safety of the sea and your backing is evaporating...when you eventually get even with the fish and are quickly regaining line, does the disproportionate width to depth of the spool allow you to intuitively regain line uniformly? Therein, not the pressure retained spool that might pop off nor the drag that may not be sealed is the "deal breaker".

As a critical comparative evaluator and user of rods and reels the popularity and loyalty toward this design truly puzzles me.
mrfzx likes this.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:01 PM
mridenour

I've not had any of those issues with my Guru but then again I have never been in danger of losing all my backing. I've just caught some large Cutts and Browns on my Guru 2 and once they get into the backing I chase like a kid after the ice cream truck.

If you are fishing where you have the danger of catching a fish that will run like the one S&S is talking about, a more narrow arbor reel may be the best bet. I want to catch the fish in S&S' post!
ts47 likes this.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:27 PM

I did land it, Mike. It was a 12 pounder bright from the sea in a river near the tip of Quebec's Gaspe Peninsula. I did have to run down a rapid to catch up with him and when I got tired and stopped to catch my breath, the fish stopped too. Important lesson learned. I was fishing a 9'/#8 I'd built from a Rodon blank mounted with a Hardy Marquis spring and pawl reel with a palming rim and a narrow spool.
mrfzx likes this.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:37 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

When the ULA Force reels were introduced, I ended up with two of them. By the end of the first year of freshwater only use, both clutches had succumb to corrosion. I assume from moisture that got trapped inside the bearings housing. Yes, when a reel took a dunking, the spools were removed in the evening and the reels were allowed to dry overnight. Iíve owned and fished a lot of reels in my life, both fresh and saltwater with many different clutch and drag designs. Those were the first and so far the only frozen bearing problems Iíve encountered on my own gear. Although I've had a few one way clutches fail on fish that far exceeded the reels design range.

Now if you want to talk horror stories, I saw a lot of neglect on some of our customers gear.......ever seen a frozen Tibor or Abel? Now that's a shame.

TT