The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2014, 02:04 PM

arlanjac is on a distinguished road
Default Not enough backing?

So the other day I spooled up my cabelas prestige premier 9/10 wt reel with roughly 200 yards of gel spun backing and rio outbound short 10wt. Now this was my first time setting up a new reel, and I'm using it for Muskie fishing, which is why I assumed 200 yards of backing would be enough. The problem is, with line and backing on, the reel looks to be only half full. Does anyone have suggestions on this? Should I add the remaining 100 yards of backing that I have, or will I be fine with what I have?Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2014, 03:38 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice
Default Re: Not enough backing?

How much backing does that reel call for?

Sent from my iPhone
Old 06-19-2014, 04:01 PM

I'm not sure, I couldn't find any information on the box, I'll see if I can find it online.

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

It says it holds 275 yards of 30 lb backing and a 10wt line, so it appears as though I've under spooled it by about 75yds.

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

But even with an extra 75 I feel it would still be underspooled

Old 06-19-2014, 05:11 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Personally if it was me I would add more backing, but I'm not a fan of gel spun. I like my reels to be spooled so that with the line on it is almost full.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:18 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

Do you need more? I honestly don't know how far Muskie run. My problem is usually too much **** on the reel. Some uneven windings and it's jammed. I say fish with it; if your not happy, re-spool it then.

CAB
Old 06-19-2014, 05:22 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I'd add it, as others said. Wouldn't add it because I thought I'd need it for a musky but would because each time I wound the spool it would take up more fly line. Not a huge difference but backing is cheap and there really isn't a negative to filling the spool.
mikel likes this.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:23 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Reel capacities are normally calculated using DACRON Backing and not gel spun. That is the main reason the reel is not filled. Adding more gel spun is not the answer if you what the reel filled.

Take off the gel spun and put on the 30 lb breaking strength of dacron that the reel calls for.
Hardyreels, mcnerney, timd and 6 others like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-19-2014, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the ideas, I'll probably respool it with Dacron when I get the chance. Would it be possible to just buy more gel spun or would I need like another 300 yds to fill it?

Old 06-19-2014, 05:35 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Ah I missed the gel spun in your initial post. You can buy more but it is more expensive than going with dacron. I'd buy some dacron and keep the gel spun if you ever rig up for a species that might require you getting into your backing.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:37 PM

Ok sounds good, thanks for the help!