The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 05:44 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Just ordered an Orvis BBS - did I make the right choice??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecowarrior View Post
Good - my mind is more settled!

I went for the titanium colour.
oh ****. now you blew it....

;-)

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:45 AM

yatesd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecowarrior View Post
Always wanted an Orvis reel - just love the brand for some reason (apparently their business ways ain't too popular [?]).

Anyway, it was my birthday the other day and I've thumbed that orvis brochure to death and finally decided on the BBS III and ordered it this morning. Sad when you get to my age and have to buy your OWN presents!!

The requirement for the BBS are simple: 1) it's got to last forever and ever. 2) it's got to be just lovely.

And now I'm sitting here wondering if I should have shelled out for the CFO or perhaps gone for the mid-arbour (UK spelling!).

Aaaargh. Help my tormented mind....
I'm just starting out on this journey, but I bought the Orvis BBS III last night. The local store had one in stock and it was a night and day difference between the starter models in terms of feel and build quality.

As a bonus, it came with a nice case. I believe it is guaranteed for life against defects, and the card included said they would do a complete service on the unit for only $10 (plus parts). I'm looking forward to trying this out, unfortunately it doesn't look like the weather is cooperating today.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:43 AM

Bruce is on a distinguished road

Orvis products are generally very good products. Better than most, not as good as some others. I own several Orvis rods and reels and have no complaints about them. They do have very good customer service for their brand name products. The reason for their 'bad business practice reputation' is due in part to the way they have bought out many of their competitors, like Streamline and Reddington, used them for a while, then trashed them. I bought a $400 Streamline reel and a $120 extra spool that came with an unconditional lifetime warranty. Two years later Orvis bought the company and refused any warranty claims for any reason. So, I had a $520 reel and extra spool with a defective spool lock and no where to get it repaired. They did the same with Reddington, which I believe is now back in the hands of the original owner.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
Orvis products are generally very good products. Better than most, not as good as some others. I own several Orvis rods and reels and have no complaints about them. They do have very good customer service for their brand name products. The reason for their 'bad business practice reputation' is due in part to the way they have bought out many of their competitors, like Streamline and Reddington, used them for a while, then trashed them. I bought a $400 Streamline reel and a $120 extra spool that came with an unconditional lifetime warranty. Two years later Orvis bought the company and refused any warranty claims for any reason. So, I had a $520 reel and extra spool with a defective spool lock and no where to get it repaired. They did the same with Reddington, which I believe is now back in the hands of the original owner.
Not familiar with streamline before Orvis, but I have to disagree totally with the Reddington. There would be no such animal if Orvis hadn't bought them. They were in big time trouble. With Orvis backing them they were able to come out with new lines and get back on their feet. So they did, only to repeat and have Sage now bail them out.
I had a Reddington reel, while never needing any repair, it was fully covered by Orvis. In fact the same reel was put out again after Orvis bought them.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:17 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

The BBS reels I've played with seem great. Be happy with your purchase !

Yates Wrote:

"I'm looking forward to trying this out, unfortunately it doesn't look like the weather is cooperating today."

Please don't take this the wrong way : Flyfishing doesn't have to be a fair
weather sport. I often wait for windy days to try rods and lines, largely because it's often windy when I fish. I was on the lake Tuesday in my canoe,
and it was so windy (and raining), it req'd a monumental effort to paddle back
across the lake at 7pm. I did catch a few nice trout for dinner, so... .

Casting with the wind to your back* is much more easy on the really windy days, and on such days you can simply toss line behind you, and it will fly forward quite a bit...LOL! My wife and I were fishing in January, and the wind was blowing so hard that it nearly pulled the rods from our hands. We caught fish, however. As for rain, waders and a rain jacket will be like sitting
in the car .

* You will want to learn how to cast into the wind before long. It's
not too difficult. Nothing is more frustrating than seeing a fish upwind, and
wishing you could cast to it...

Yesterday was the first day without strong winds since last Saturday:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Frank B Right on with FF not being fair weather. My old man unfortunately is a fair weather fisher. ME I will go out in a blizzard.....OH WAIT! I did! and to top it off, I had a broken leg (fell off the drum riser on stage but that is another story ;-) I put a 12" by 36" water proof duffle over my leg and bungied it. Probably not a great idea in case the boat flipped but, I made sure to have my Life Vest on that day. Several 24" and + cutts and bows that day also.

As far as wind at your back, great with a floating line and specially roll cast, but I tried buggers and a Type III yesterday and it was a little more challenging. I literally could not back cast. I prefer side winds. And as you, those are the conditions I prefer to TEST gear out in. Anyone can cast of a no wind, sun shining day....but where is the thrill of making a spider web out of leaders? LOL
Old 04-04-2008, 04:48 PM

Bruce is on a distinguished road

"Not familiar with streamline before Orvis, but I have to disagree totally with the Reddington. There would be no such animal if Orvis hadn't bought them. They were in big time trouble. With Orvis backing them they were able to come out with new lines and get back on their feet. So they did, only to repeat and have Sage now bail them out.
I had a Reddington reel, while never needing any repair, it was fully covered by Orvis. In fact the same reel was put out again after Orvis bought them."

Joni, Check your PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:42 AM

ecowarrior is on a distinguished road

Got my Orvis BBS III

Beautiful

Blasted thing doesn't fit my reel seat properly

My mate's CFO is a Hardy - bought late 70's I think he said.

I asked him if he would leave it to me in my will. He said things I can't repeat here
Old 04-05-2008, 02:23 PM

I have a custom McFarland with the band reel seat and I agree that the Orvis reel feet are too thick. I would say I notice it more since asian made but I had a BFR that had the same problem. SANDPAPER LOL
Funny thing however, the English LA do fit this custom, but the Asian I do have to sand down. I called them on this problem. They had no solution, so I told them what my plans were and would it effect warranty. They told me no, that I had no choice....so pain in the behind but cool.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Joni,

Did you blacken the reel foot after the sanding?

Frank