The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2008, 03:51 PM

ecowarrior is on a distinguished road
Default Just ordered an Orvis BBS - did I make the right choice??

Always wanted an Orvis reel - just love the brand for some reason (apparently their business ways ain't too popular [?]).

Anyway, it was my birthday the other day and I've thumbed that orvis brochure to death and finally decided on the BBS III and ordered it this morning. Sad when you get to my age and have to buy your OWN presents!!

The requirement for the BBS are simple: 1) it's got to last forever and ever. 2) it's got to be just lovely.

And now I'm sitting here wondering if I should have shelled out for the CFO or perhaps gone for the mid-arbour (UK spelling!).

Aaaargh. Help my tormented mind....
Old 03-10-2008, 06:56 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Just ordered an Orvis BBS - did I make the right choice??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecowarrior View Post
(apparently their business ways ain't too popular [?]).

Aaaargh. Help my tormented mind....
Don't know what you mean by that, but Orvis has the best customer service I've ever seen. They donate big bucks to conservation efforts. They're prices are in line with just about everthing else fly fishing related wise (even if I do think the Helios is a little over priced). The BBS is a good reel. You'll be happy with it.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

The BBS has the same GUTS as the traditional Battenkill that has been around forever!. I don't think you made a mistake at all, but that is me. The new CFO's are nice and I love that Bronze color, but they definitely afren't the old BFR reels they use to be. The Spring/Pawl was the attraction to the CFO and they haven't been made for several years now.
Did you get Black or Titanium?
Old 03-10-2008, 09:18 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

I have a lot of Orvis stuff---in Ohio ---it was the best source for flyfishing gear for years because of thier marketing

I still use 3 orvis reels and a 2,5,10 and 12 wt rods (broke a 7wt and was replaced with a tipflex which i hate)

I havent tried the new Helios rods--- what i hear has been positive
Old 03-10-2008, 09:56 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

i think their "business ways" being "unpopular" has to do with expanding their fishing line to many other branches of product. this can be related to salespeople not being familiar with the origin of the company and basic fly equipment. to satisfy those naysayers is asking too much of a company trying to remain viable. they diversified, a key to their success.

don't torment yourself any longer. you'll like that BBS. let's see if you can make it another year WITHOUT buying another orvis reel, like.....a CFO!

BFR was not the only one to manufacture CFOs for orvis. i think they got off on the right foot by being made originally by hardy. BFR just rode along on the coat tails... LOL i agree that bronze color of the current CFOs is cool, but if you want an example of history and a well-regarded reel, get a used CFO III in the click style someday. they're grey. not the end-all reel, but a fine example.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:47 AM

Good - my mind is more settled!

I went for the titanium colour. Not sure the guts ARE the same as in the CFO - the CFO looks different in it's brass gearing - the BBS has a RULON brake? Whatever, I like both.

I think I probably would have splashed out on the CFO if they'd done a IV version - the III seemed a touch small to me for a #6 line. Maybe next Birthday. Or Christmas. Or Father's Day. Or....
Old 03-11-2008, 07:09 AM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Quote:

I went for the titanium colour. Not sure the guts ARE the same as in the CFO - the CFO looks different in it's brass gearing - the BBS has a RULON brake? Whatever, I like both.

I think I probably would have splashed out on the CFO if they'd done a IV version - the III seemed a touch small to me for a #6 line. Maybe next Birthday. Or Christmas. Or Father's Day. Or....
Orvis makes fantastic gear and the BBS is no exception. You will love this reel.

And the CFO's are a bit small in their capacity. But the old ones are one of the finest pieces of equipment you can get. The sound of the old click pawl CFO's just blend in with the sound of the river around you.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I didn't say the GUTs were the same as the CFO, but the TRADITIONAL BATTENKILL, in fact the same GUTS that were on the Original Battenkill Large Arbor. CFO has always been unique.
CFO is a smaller reel with the CFO I being the same diameter as the BBS II.
If you are lucky enough to find a HARDY made CFO, you will be looking at big bucks. BFR (British Fly Reels) probably made more of the CFO than HARDY so they are easier to find.
Shorthaul, I would have sent the tip-flex back and demanded a more similar feel, I know I am if anything (heaven forbid) happens to my "TL" in fact I will offer more if need to get what I want. Right now I think the T3 is the appropriant replacement for the TL.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:52 AM

Sorry Joni - reread your post - you didn't say it was the same as the CFO - DOH!!

A friend of mine has an old CFO IV he really rates - that'll be an old Pawl version - possibly Hardy? He'll be delighted to know it might be worth something.... so I won't tell him

Will let you know how I get on with the BBS when it arrives.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Sorry Joni - reread your post - you didn't say it was the same as the CFO - DOH!!

A friend of mine has an old CFO IV he really rates - that'll be an old Pawl version - possibly Hardy? He'll be delighted to know it might be worth something.... so I won't tell him

Will let you know how I get on with the BBS when it arrives.

From what I have read and researched, the HARDY version will have rivets in the drag side of the reel. They are very hard to tell which are are and are not, but this has been the one tell, tell feature.
But then there are these that have it printed right on them:
Last Call Before going to eBay:Orvis CFO IV, CFO I - Fly Tackle For Sale, for Trade, or Wanted - Welcome to the Classic Fly Rod Forum! - The Classic Fly Rod Forum - Message Board - Yuku

Here is a little Hardy History:
Hardy: History and their reels