The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014, 10:40 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about
Default Cabela's Wind River Fly Reels for Boy Scouts?

Looking for a couple of cheap fly reels to use as a teaching tool with Boy Scouts. I don't want to buy junk though.

Does anyone have any experience with these reels???

Todd
Old 06-27-2014, 11:08 PM

horsehead will become famous soon enoughhorsehead will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cabela's Wind River Fly Reels for Boy Scouts?

They're ok. They hold line well but are fragile. A friend has one, and he fell in the river last week while we were out, somehow the reel got under him or he hit it on the ground and broke off a large, like 3" large, chunk out of the spool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2014, 08:50 AM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the input!

Any idea how the drag is? These will be used for trout and pan fish. So, the drag doesn't need to do much. I don't want to wear it out just stripping the line though.

Todd
Old 06-28-2014, 09:10 AM

horsehead will become famous soon enoughhorsehead will become famous soon enough

I've only had 2 trout on the reel and never a panfish, and I've caught a whole lot of both. I would not worry about the drag... That a said, I'm sure it's mediocre. But the beauty of the reel isn't so much it's high performance, but it's extremely low price. For the price, it's a darn good reel, but for the price, don't expect too much of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2014, 09:11 AM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice

I don't have any experience with the Wind Rivers, but I did pick up a couple Redington Topo outfits on sale at Cabela's. It was around $120 for the whole ready to go fishing setup. They came with Redington's Crosswater reel. It's plastic, but it's not a bad reel at all. I bought them for my boys, who are Scouts, to learn on. I used them a couple weeks ago to do the same thing you are doing. A group of young Boy Scouts and I stood above a pool and the boys took turns with the two rods roll casting and then drifting an egg pattern down into the pool. The best fish was 19" and the reel's drag handled it well. My boys have landed around a hundred trout, bass, and bluegills on each of them so far and there have been no issues . Half a dozen trout have been over 20" and since my boys still have a tough time landing a good fish, the drag gets a real workout. Those two can tear up an anvil with a feather too, so I'm really pleased with that reel purchase for price vs. performance and durability
"In Heaven the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, and the women are Italian. In Hell the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, and the women are Italian...."
Old 06-28-2014, 10:25 AM

grtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to all

Personally, I'd look for a bunch of the old Cortland RimFly reels or any of the various others being exactly the same reel with a different name. Clicker, palming drag, simple and personally I'm a FIRM believer that palming a reel when fly fishing is crucial and an important skill to learn (only thing I ever use drag for on a fly reel is to keep the spool from over-running when I strip out line to shoot). Plus IMO, once a fish is on it is one of the things that separates fly fishing from other forms.

B.E.F.
noreaster likes this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:07 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtlksmarlin View Post
Personally, I'd look for a bunch of the old Cortland RimFly reels or any of the various others being exactly the same reel with a different name. Clicker, palming drag, simple and personally I'm a FIRM believer that palming a reel when fly fishing is crucial and an important skill to learn (only thing I ever use drag for on a fly reel is to keep the spool from over-running when I strip out line to shoot). Plus IMO, once a fish is on it is one of the things that separates fly fishing from other forms.

B.E.F.
Great advice I was going to suggest trying to find some vintage workhorse reels that are tough and can survive continuous dropping or stepped on, getting dirty, and perhaps accidently misused. Fewer moving parts, tougher housings, and simpler functioning would guarantee a few more troops get usage. Older click and pawl style from the 60's and 70's or 80's come to mind.

Every kid or young adult who starts fly fishing should be conditioned by a strong "Click" associated with reeling in or drawing out fly line.
grtlksmarlin likes this.

Last edited by noreaster; 06-28-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:16 PM

grtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
Every kid or young adult who starts fly fishing should be conditioned by a strong "Click" associated with reeling in or drawing out fly line.
Lmao.. let the brainwashing begin!

B.E.F.
noreaster likes this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:28 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtlksmarlin View Post
Lmao.. let the brainwashing begin!

B.E.F.
Careful now, I represent that. Ha haaa,
It's so whenever they hear a similar "clicking" sound in the city or around the house, they'll be reminded where "It's" really at.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:11 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Any plain ol clicker reel is plenty for trout and panfish... Disc drag is more power than you'll ever really need... Cruise eBay and by a couple vintage reels that'll cost $10 shipped. It doesn't need to look like it came out of a fancy catalogue... It just has to hold line