The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2014, 05:41 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough
Default Cabelas Hemingway made in Argentina fly reel

Amongst all his other fly gear I inherited an unused Cabelas Hemingway reel with extra spool. It seems good quality apparently made by Sth in Argentina, but both spools are a little loose on the spindle which really bugs me. So are these good enough reels to bother sending to Bill Archelleta for repair or should I just pass on and concentrate on better?
Old 06-30-2014, 07:13 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cabelas Hemingway made in Argentina fly reel

Doing a little ebay research I see they go for little over $30.00, so not highly regarded. I think I'll pull my line off the two spools and donate them to a local thrift store. I might buy a Torque spool for my Galvan Rush reel and put one of my Wulff TT lines on it.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:13 PM

grtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to all

Sorry John, was not ignorring you just had little to offer in way of experience with them.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtlksmarlin View Post
Sorry John, was not ignorring you just had little to offer in way of experience with them.

B.E.F.
That's ok, I figured as much, most people don't much about these 15 year old reels.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:13 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have an STH reel that I like just fine. It's probably from the early 80's and sold as a LLBean "Double L". It's got a brake drag like a fancy Medalist.
STH is probably best known for their cartridge reels. I remember that my buddy had one for saltwater. It didn't last long.

Click the image to open in full size.