Ross Evolution and Zenith

deanb10s

Reaction score
Would anyone know whether the hardware color on the Ross Evo gray mist is close to the same as the hardware on the Hardy Zenith. The Zenith rod is a strange color and finding a reel, besides black, that looks good has been a challenge. Thanks as always for the great response.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
It would be nice, I've oft expressed, if brand's rod seat hardware and reels color matched. Most don't and many, even of the same brand, are not produced in the same factory. Orvis has done it with the "black nickel" color on their H2 but I can't think off hand off another example. Having said that, I fish Hardy's Ultralite DD 4000 on my Zenith#5 and it looks good, balances perfectly and is a performance match (if not a color match).

englishspringer

Reaction score
I just went through the same exercise yesterday! Charlie at the Evening Sun Fly shop had all the color options. I found the Grey Evolution was the "best" match, black was ok, and green was not good at all. I put best in quotes as it's not perfect.

Maybe I should have considered the Hardy reel for a better color match but I love the Evolution so I don't mind that it's not a perfect color pairing.

Dave

cab

Reaction score
Biceps burning, line zzzzzzzipping thru the water, drag screaming, and all I can think is "My, aint my reel purty!" :rolleyes:

NOT!!!

It'll be behind my hand, or in a bag most of the time. Form follows function.

CAB

J

james w 3 3

Wouldn't it be nice if you could order a Lamson anodized to match the Zenith?
Really, how much more could it cost?
But I guess the real problem is how much more would they charge . . . sigh . . . :(

wjl

Reaction score
Cost a lot because small color runs lose money.
It not just the color it is the tracking, quality control, time, delivery, matching color 100%..
Just look at Abel reels lead time for custom painted reel is long
If the color is close call it good, there is a reason black, gray, green
is used it goes with most of the rods made.

Walter1023

Reaction score
not sure about the color but you just nailed my favorite combo of all time....my 9' 4 wt Hardy Zenith paired with my Copper colored ross evolution reel..........I have copper because it was on clearance a few years ago and I liked it anyway. same with the zenith closeout at 40% off last year best flyfishing $$ I ever spent

throssing

Reaction score
Would anyone know whether the hardware color on the Ross Evo gray mist is close to the same as the hardware on the Hardy Zenith. The Zenith rod is a strange color and finding a reel, besides black, that looks good has been a challenge. Thanks as always for the great response.

Try the "bronze" Galvan Torque. It's almost a perfect color match.

deanb10s

Reaction score
throssing.... Looking on eBay I saw a galvan T5 spool that looked like a perfect match, it said bronze on the box. Then I looked at the new Galvans and the bronze is a strong copper color. I wonder if they changed for the new line. Wish I could find the old color bronze for a 4wt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

throssing

Reaction score
throssing.... Looking on eBay I saw a galvan T5 spool that looked like a perfect match, it said bronze on the box. Then I looked at the new Galvans and the bronze is a strong copper color. I wonder if they changed for the new line. Wish I could find the old color bronze for a 4wt.

The colors in the pictures online are often difficult to really see clearly. All I can say is that the Galvan that I got on eBay is a perfect match. Keep looking on eBay if color is important to you.

throssing

Reaction score

There is an old "bronze" t-5 on eBay now.