The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mikel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 09:59 AM

alfordjo is on a distinguished road
Default What to get as a backup reel?

I am looking for a back up reel. Long story - I will try to make it short.

I have started going fishing on my motorcycle - the evening before I put all my gear on / in my bike and leave early in the morning. The dreaded happened this past Saturday. I got to a great spot, got all geared up and then while putting my rod together I remembered that I forgot my reel!! UUGGHHH. So I broke everything down and headed home.

At least I got a nice ride out of it.

I would like to get a decent / inexpensive reel that I will leave in my motorcycle saddle bag all the time in case this ever happens again. (5-6 weight)

I will admit I am vain - I do like a nice looking reel - to give you an example, I like how the Allen Trout II looks, but do not think I want to spend $150 for something that rarely (I hope) gets used.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan
Old 08-04-2014, 10:23 AM

tail of the pool is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to tail of the pool
Default Re: What to get as a backup reel?

Konic- and a lock for your saddle bag
I think I fish, in part, because it’s an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. –John Gierach
Old 08-04-2014, 11:16 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Get an Okuma Sierra and glue a picture of an Allen reel to it, like a veneer
fredaevans likes this.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:41 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

What is your primary trout reel (and rod)? When I think Colorado I always think of both Scott and Ross as both are built in Montrose. I suspect with design changes underway there may be some discontinued discounting on some Ross models.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:12 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Surprisingly how hard to find are the old Phlug. Medalists. Things are bomb proof right down to the simple drag system. Considering the millions of these thing built finding a used one will take some serious searching.

How 'retro' can you possibly get? Well, a old Hardy.

But another vote for the Ross reels.

fae
Old 08-04-2014, 02:05 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Allen has a $99 reel. Orvis battenkill is a great looking reel for also about $99. Two great options.

Also check out the anglers roost. They have some for closer to $50/60 that look great and work fine.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
What is your primary trout reel (and rod)? When I think Colorado I always think of both Scott and Ross as both are built in Montrose. I suspect with design changes underway there may be some discontinued discounting on some Ross models.
Primary rod is Sage VT2 - reel is Lamson Velocity.

I would love to find a discontinued Ross, just no luck yet.

Jonathan
Old 08-04-2014, 03:02 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Keep your ear to the ground for a Ross...but, you are NEVER going to forget your reel again. Something else maybe but not your reel. Still, an old, scratched up but true Hardy Princess should be obtainable not too dearly.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:05 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfordjo View Post
Primary rod is Sage VT2 - reel is Lamson Velocity.

I would love to find a discontinued Ross, just no luck yet.

Jonathan
Since you already have a Velocity why not another one? Since they have been discontinued I have seen them go for really good prices. Heck, I've got a brand new #2 and spare spool I would give you a heck of a deal on.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Keep your ear to the ground for a Ross...but, you are NEVER going to forget your reel again. Something else maybe but not your reel.
Agree! Maybe I should just have 2 of everything and leave the extra set in my bags!