The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2014, 04:45 PM

eastfly66 is a jewel in the rougheastfly66 is a jewel in the rougheastfly66 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New 4 wt. reel considerations ?

I think I will kick up some more $ and take a look at the Galvins & Ross.

I like the Allen reel too . This reel is going to be with me a long time so it makes sense.

The Gunnison has been around a long time I think ..

The Rush is about the same price too

Good place too start looking , give me a high and low end range

I tend to buy American if I can , just the way I am .........
Thanks
Old 08-24-2014, 04:51 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

The Gunnison is made in the U.S.A.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:58 PM

eastfly66 is a jewel in the rougheastfly66 is a jewel in the rougheastfly66 is a jewel in the rough

I saw that Rock , I think it might be a good fit for the Horizon II also. Looks like it can take a hit or 2 also . I am thinking the Galvin may be a little light for the T&T rod.

good review on the Galvin too

http://www.sexyloops.com/tackle/torque.shtml

Last edited by eastfly66; 08-24-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:23 PM

jastrout is on a distinguished road

I recently got Ross Gunnison 2 for my high end glass custom rods for $260 and it possible my finest reel ever . Now a word for Allen Fly Fishing I purchased a Heritage 9' 5 and have talked to these guys at Somerset and Lancaster . They are the real deal as customer service is there with LL Bean and they bleed fly fishing. I would buy their products regardless of source.
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jastrout View Post
I recently got Ross Gunnison 2 for my high end glass custom rods for $260 and it possible my finest reel ever . Now a word for Allen Fly Fishing I purchased a Heritage 9' 5 and have talked to these guys at Somerset and Lancaster . They are the real deal as customer service is there with LL Bean and they bleed fly fishing. I would buy their products regardless of source.
I agree Jastrout, I talked with them at a show in MA and I checked out their reels too(Impressive). I do not have even a hint of reservation about doing business with them. However , if the margin is that close I defer to the "Made in the USA" label unless it is a inferior product. The Allen page is still open on this laptop.

The Gunny 2 has my eye , a fitting reel for what I consider to be one of the finest trout rods ever made

The Rush is also there because I think Galvin may be a small family run business. I don't know , I am researching all these points now. It sounds pretty close to the more expensive Torque.

The spare spool cost are factoring in too.

Anyone have experience with "new" Teton Classic ? I don't see them offered by Cabalas anymore which makes me concerned?
Old 08-24-2014, 08:59 PM

coastrider will become famous soon enough

I have a cla2 I use on my 4wt saltie rod and it never has given me a problem. I got a half dozen spools for it at a wicked price so it can also be used in the lake with all my other lines. It is a classy looking reel and there is nothing to go wrong. The only thing that could be better is the clicker, its plastic

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2014, 09:23 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I have been trying not to chime in on the "what should I buy" threads lately.

I have several Ross Evolution II and they are great, you really can't go wrong with them. I also have the Nautilus FWX 3/4 and same as the Ross, smooth as silk, works great and the drag is really good.

I will be buying a Allen ATS (clicker) and probably and Allen Trout II this Jan at the fly show. I have had Allen reels and they are great, I want to get more...just because.

Just for reference my 3wt reels are

Nautilus FXW
Ross Rhythm ( these are a beast, love them)
Bauer MSL 2.0

4wt reels
Ross Evo II size 2 (qty 2 reels, 3 spools)
Sage 4560 (spec is for 6-7 wt) but it balances my 4wt Zaxis great
eastfly66 likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 08-25-2014, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
I have been trying not to chime in on the "what should I buy" threads lately.
Thanks for chiming in ! I was not up to speed on the reels since I used to just pick up "new old" Teton on E-bay when they were a good deal. My local shops tend to have 1 or the other so I wanted to have some opinions on different mfg. before I go. I will probably get 1 reel for this fall and another at Somerset. The show in MA. is rather limited and I didn't see many "specials" last year. The problem with the older Tetons is there is one fellow left that does service and has parts , if he retires , I am SOL.

I will probably end up with a mixed inventory like you guys. The Tioga reels will go out as gifts to someone just getting into the trade. One will stay in the truck with a spare rod b/c I cant remember seet anymore. I have rods specific for a given river, looks like a Trout II is going on one of them. A Ross or Galvin on one or 2 of the others.

The Tetons are still going to work , I put a Teton 10LA ($85 NIB) on a VXP 5120 DH , balances perfect.

"Time is on my side , yes it is " - Mick
comeonavs likes this.

Last edited by eastfly66; 08-25-2014 at 05:42 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:39 AM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough

Orvis Access mid arbor size II. I use it on my 3 wt 8' 3" Cabelas LSi and my 4wt 9' Orvis Hydros. Works great and looks beautiful on both.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:04 AM

nav will become famous soon enough

I keep using my "Vivarelli" for 20 years (semi-automatic fly, made in Italy), and it still works well with #4 or #5 rod.

Click the image to open in full size.
roryodonnell and eastfly66 like this.