The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2014, 05:19 AM

eastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really nice
Default New 4 wt. reel considerations ?

I am looking to replace my Tioga rather than have it serviced and just want to try something new. The reel will be on the Delaware so drag counts. Hoping for the under 200 range but what ever it takes I guess. I was looking at Allen and the Teton Classics along with the "Usual Suspects" . Any recommendations ? I'm not up to speed on the latest and greatest ....

I should note , I like a reel that can take a hit or 2 ....

As many of you know , I like closeout deals !

Thanks
East
Old 08-24-2014, 05:28 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: New 4 wt. reel considerations ?

I've used this reel on trout in the 3-4# range. It's worked perfectly. The drag is good. It has a nice large knob to change the drag as you're landing a fish.

I really can't find anything wrong with it. I realize a $30 reel on a Sage ONE is a little unusual, but the thing works.

ALS 3 4 2 1 BB CNC Anodized Aluminum Cmpact 1 1 Trout Fly Fishing Reel 70mm | eBay

Just one warning. There are similar reels out there, but the name says 'ALC', not 'ALS'. Stay away from those.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:55 AM

eastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
I realize a $30 reel on a Sage ONE is a little unusual, but the thing works.
Actually , not to me , it sounds fine. I was told by one of my rod building supply guys , the stuff machined overseas has come a long way. Back when they started they had old machine tools and not the skill , that's all in the past. He said the thing to watch out for is the Knock off of the knock off. Guys a retired NASA engineer , so I consider his opinion valid.

At that price I might as well get 2 and change the reel , not just the spool !

Last edited by eastfly66; 08-24-2014 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:01 AM

horsehead will become famous soon enoughhorsehead will become famous soon enough

This one may be a little large at 5/6, but I doubt so much that it'll mess anything up. Drag? Check. Durability? Check. Close out? Check.

http://www.lelandfly.com/In-Stock/Re...-6-Weight.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2014, 08:01 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Not on close out, not from overseas and over $200 but on my ONE#5 I fish a Nautilus FWX 7/8 (that's right...7/8, its that light). The 5/6 might be right for the #4. Another reel to consider is Galvan Torque, probably the T5. These are both Big D grade reels that are appropriate to ONE.

It is true that the boilerplate Chinese reels, ripped off creative property and all, are much better than years ago. Look at Allen's Trout II for a fine example with genuine customer service thrown in.
jaybo41 and eastfly66 like this.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:41 AM

mtaag3 is on a distinguished road

I have an Allen Trout II and I am extremely happy with it. Customer service is fantastic too.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:52 AM

tx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtaag3 View Post
I have an Allen Trout II and I am extremely happy with it. Customer service is fantastic too.

2nd for Allen. Got my trout II a couple weeks ago and it's been great so far. If you don't already know, if you sign up for their email list you'll get a 15% off coupon.
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:22 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are considering adding a Galvan and the Torque is out of your price range, don't overlook the Rush series. The drag system is the same as the Torque, the difference aside from the weight is the level of machining. The drags in them are buttery smooth and sometimes the extra weight of the Rush series may even be advantageous.
chi flyfisher and eastfly66 like this.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:19 AM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

Check out the Ross Gunnison at Cabela's. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat105572880
markfrid and eastfly66 like this.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:56 AM

bwf is on a distinguished road

I have two ross cimarrons (C2's) and they are both durable, simple and smooth. You can find them on the bay rather easily and can get a used-newish one for right around 100.00. They reintroduced both the gunnison and cimarron in the ross line so no fear of them to repair if ever needed.
markfrid and eastfly66 like this.