The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By userx
  • 1 Post By fyshstykr
  • 1 Post By eastfly66
  • 1 Post By userx
  • 2 Post By biggie_robs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2014, 01:00 AM

userx is on a distinguished road
Default Scientific Anglers System 4

Let me begin this thread by saying I did use the search function and perused about 15 pages of threads.

Now, in my quest to upgrade my gear and delve deeper into this wonderful sport we all enjoy. I'm in the market for a reel. The requirements are that of a unicorn. It must be a 4wt. It must be american made and it must not cost me my first born child. Now, that being said if this entire rod,reel,line,fly set up wasnt american made it would be so much easier. But as chance were to have it I can get a good deal on a system 4. They are made in Colorado. At what I am suspicious of being the Ross factory (just a hunch as some comments I've read and googling addresses.) So the queston stands, are they worth a poo? How's quality and how's life?
Old 11-26-2014, 01:21 AM

Default Re: Scientific Anglers System 4

Welp with the volume of replies.....I did some research. It appears that the system 4 is actually a rebranded Ross CLA. That being said is it any good. It appears thats the case. But now I am torn on maybe looking for a different reel....any suggestions..
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with the CLA, go for it.
userx likes this.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 11-26-2014, 05:37 AM

eastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really nice

Hello Mr. X

I had a System 4 for a number of years ( until I lost it ) and it worked fine and w/o issue. On a #4 just about any reel will do the job provided it does not free spool and bind. However , I can fully appreciate wanting a quality reel ( yet at a reasonable cost ).

That being said and hoping not to derail your thread into another " off shore product " post , I would like to say I too have a preference for US manufactured product however in todays world I have to accept this principle is not all that well defined or the best criteria. Given 2 product of equal quality and the US product being within an acceptable difference in cost I will go the US made route.

I wanted a small tool cabinet for my tying tools/material. Gerstner & Sons was the first to come to mind for their outstanding quality. The problem was I could not justify the cost. Gerstner has another separate entity " Gerstner International " a box manufactured to their specs. overseas. They retain the US based production and have actually expanded. It was a difficult decision for them to make but the end result was a financial success benefitting both operations . I suspect the same difficult decision was made by Allen Reel.

Regarding quality , I can find no short comings on the reel I received from Allen. This is an well designed product and is actually becoming my preferred reel. Cost is only a side benefit . I am a contractor and have in excess of 10K worth of hand power tools. I depend on these tools and cannot afford failure. The majority are Hilti an off shore production. These come at a much higher cost compared to others on the market US or off shore. The point is I default to quality not always cost or country of origin. A difficult decision for those of us that care and I suspect sometimes for a manufacturer that has personal values.

What I am getting at is sometimes the better product is simply produced elsewhere. It just happens that in the case with Allen the cost is to our benefit.

Keep in mind we are buying directly from Allen , there is no " Middle Man ".
Do you know how much the mark up is on say Hatch or Nautilus ? I have a pretty good idea and I think you would be surprised. What I am pondering is , perception and reality ? Are the marketing people taking advantage of our good intentions and adding a percentage based only on our values ? A point to consider and if such is the case a complete loss of integrity in my opinion.

If the cost is within your margin and US based MFG. is your priority than I would pony up the money and go with Galvan Reel but I am finding I prefer the Allen even when cost is removed from the equation.

Cheers
East
userx likes this.

Last edited by eastfly66; 11-26-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:40 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

You are correct, they are better looking CLA reels...

I use them for guiding and they have been beaten to death, never had a single issue...

GREAT reels.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
Hello Mr. X

I had a System 4 for a number of years ( until I lost it ) and it worked fine and w/o issue. On a #4 just about any reel will do the job provided it does not free spool and bind. However , I can fully appreciate wanting a quality reel ( yet at a reasonable cost ).

That being said and hoping not to derail your thread into another " off shore product " post , I would like to say I too have a preference for US manufactured product however in todays world I have to accept this principle is not all that well defined or the best criteria. Given 2 product of equal quality and the US product being within an acceptable difference in cost I will go the US made route.

I wanted a small tool cabinet for my tying tools/material. Gerstner & Sons was the first to come to mind for their outstanding quality. The problem was I could not justify the cost. Gerstner has another separate entity " Gerstner International " a box manufactured to their specs. overseas. They retain the US based production and have actually expanded. It was a difficult decision for them to make but the end result was a financial success benefitting both operations . I suspect the same difficult decision was made by Allen Reel.

Regarding quality , I can find no short comings on the reel I received from Allen. This is an well designed product and is actually becoming my preferred reel. Cost is only a side benefit . I am a contractor and have in excess of 10K worth of hand power tools. I depend on these tools and cannot afford failure. The majority are Hilti an off shore production. These come at a much higher cost compared to others on the market US or off shore. The point is I default to quality not always cost or country of origin. A difficult decision for those of us that care and I suspect sometimes for a manufacturer that has personal values.

What I am getting at is sometimes the better product is simply produced elsewhere. It just happens that in the case with Allen the cost is to our benefit.

Keep in mind we are buying directly from Allen , there is no " Middle Man ".
Do you know how much the mark up is on say Hatch or Nautilus ? I have a pretty good idea and I think you would be surprised. What I am pondering is , perception and reality ? Are the marketing people taking advantage of our good intentions and adding a percentage based only on our values ? A point to consider and if such is the case a complete loss of integrity in my opinion.

If the cost is within your margin and US based MFG. is your priority than I would pony up the money and go with Galvan Reel but I am finding I prefer the Allen even when cost is removed from the equation.

Cheers
East
No derail there and I appreciate the information. I would imagine the markup( I'll bet a banquet tv dinner) that its at least 60%. I have been reading a lot about allen and will def consider them along with 3tand. Verdict is still out on my gear and I'm still a bit off of ordering said things. I'm set on the rod and line its just the reel that I had been fickle about. Having recently gotten deeper into this hobby it has been interesting to see all of the different things going. Thanks everyone for the replies and if anyone else has anything to say I'm all open on the ears.
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:24 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

If I were looking for the best MIUSA reel for a 4wt rod and I didn't want to spend a lot of money on it?

My first thought is a pre-owned Ross Rhythm 1.

They don't show up for sale too often, but when they do the Rhythms can sometimes be had for a great price. It's essentially a less ported Evolution (non LT version).

Anyway, if a 4.2oz reel with not much backing (maybe 45 yards of added weight) would balance your 4wt, you might look into it.
eastfly66 and userx like this.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie_robs View Post
If I were looking for the best MIUSA reel for a 4wt rod and I didn't want to spend a lot of money on it?

My first thought is a pre-owned Ross Rhythm 1.

They don't show up for sale too often, but when they do the Rhythms can sometimes be had for a great price. It's essentially a less ported Evolution (non LT version).

Anyway, if a 4.2oz reel with not much backing (maybe 45 yards of added weight) would balance your 4wt, you might look into it.
The upcoming Ross Animas doesn't look to bad for the 225-235 region plus appears to be fairly aesthetically pleasing. We will see, as it's 26 degrees and the trout opener is many days away.