The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2014, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Connecting The Backing To Your Reel Spool;

I don't recall this being a topic and if it has been this should still be helpful. It may seem unlikely but I have never known a good and universal means for making this simple connection or back line to spool. I've hacked along my entire life making up a new knot every time I had to back line a reel.

Not anymore; I was about to spool up back line to a brand new reel and as I tried to remember how the heck I do this it dawned on me that the computer could probably smooth out the ride for me considerably.

Enter Google and here you go;

I did it and can assure you it is simple and works well, thanks to the fellow who took the time to post that. Now it's here for reference because I'm sure I'll need it next time I back a new reel

Ard
jaybo41, BigJim2x, siege and 2 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-25-2014, 04:47 PM

alfordjo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Connecting The Backing To Your Reel Spool;

Nice - I am in the process of doing this also - this was a tremendous help!

Thanks,

Jonathan
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:33 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Looks like a "fishin' fool" knot -- which is basically a uni knot with 2 turns through the eye (or around the spool).

It is incredibly strong -- won knot wars a couple of years ago.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:52 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Connecting The Backing To Your Reel Spool;

You know, for as many reels/spools as I've loaded up with backing, I'm not sure I have ever found a great way to do it. I always find myself looking for the Arbor Knot instructions and it doesn't seem to work out quite the way I had hoped but does end up working.

This is a MUCH easier way to get it done. Thanks for sharing Ard!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I was serious about what I said in the original post here Jason, I've been making up a new way to do this for going on 50 years Today when I was about to back line that new Hardy I was sitting right here at my desk with a computer directly in front of me and 'viola'!

I guess I've always accepted any old way I could get it done betting that I'd never get to the bottom of the backing.
jaybo41 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-25-2014, 09:21 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

This knot looks a lot more secure than the arbor knot I am using now. I knew it was good when I saw musky face at the beginning of the vid. Only thing left now is to hook a fish to test this knot. Or maybe I need to fish with smaller reels?
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:26 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

You were right on in your post Ard. If I had to venture a guess, the probability that you would not have mastered an Arbor Knot or another method to attach backing to a spool would be extremely unlikely. I figure a fellow like you who's been at this for quite some time would have this all figured out. When I think about it though, it's not a knot that we do all that often so it's completely understandable.

All this said, I don't feel so bad now that I know I'm not alone.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:07 AM

Location: South Florida & the White Mountains of New Hampshire
MAD777 has a spectacular aura aboutMAD777 has a spectacular aura about

Looks easier than the Arbor Knot I've always used.

Mike
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:28 AM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

That post would make a good sticky, Ard, like the one added recently on repairing breathable waders.
In fact, it would be good to have a place for the moderators to put quality how-to's together in one area. It would save a lot of searching and scratching.
We have a tip thread (little tricks to share), but some longer posts could be put in this separate section.
Entries could be suggested, mods could select. This would keep things on track, and avoid adding comments to the area.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:35 AM

tx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of light

Any tips on how to transfer line and backing from an existing reel to a new one? I did it with my 4wt a couple months ago and have brand new 6wt reel sitting in the box because the other was such a pain. Or maybe I'm just lazy.