Got my new "Green" Kraken today!

ts47

Reaction score
My new emerald, er... green Kraken arrived in the mail today. Not quite what the website led me to believe the color was... I have to say I like it though! This will be the reel that goes on one of my 8 wts. I have the same reel, but in black on a 7 wt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

williamhj

Reaction score
Looks nice! I handled one at the Denver Fly Fishing show last year and it seems like a great reel. Haven't ended up needing another heavier reel but if I do it will be a contender.

ts47

Reaction score
Looks nice! I handled one at the Denver Fly Fishing show last year and it seems like a great reel. Haven't ended up needing another heavier reel but if I do it will be a contender.

Thanks William,

I was expecting a reel that was more blue (ish) like the web site shows. I'm not sure if Allen snuck a new color in or what. I do like it though. The actual reel looks just a shade more green than these photos suggest. Having this show up was a pleasant surprise.

williamhj

Reaction score
color is tough on screen - had it with thread for wrapping rods as well, thread color slightly different when I open the package. Usually not a big deal but tough if you're trying to match a particular color.

ts47

Reaction score
That is emerald to me. But last time I looked on the website I also thought it looked more blue than green. I ended up buying another black reel because it goes with everything IMO.

Yes, it is a true emerald green. I thought owning two identical reels except in different colors might make remembering what each is intended for a little easier. As I said before, my other Kraken is black like what you have.

Given how much Allen gear this forum buys, I thought posting the color of the reel might be helpful to others. I waffled on the emerald color based on the website photos. Had I known it was as green as it is, I would not have been so reluctant to make the decision. Again, I really like the color.

allenflyfishing

Business Member
Reaction score
Hello, Yeah, I'm not a fan of the website photos. We are having new ones made as we speak. The color of the reel however, has never changed. Since the Omega is done and we are coming out with 5 new colors for that reel. I thought its best to update all photos on the site. Glad you like the reel.

Thank you,

Justin

ts47

Reaction score
Hello, Yeah, I'm not a fan of the website photos. We are having new ones made as we speak. The color of the reel however, has never changed. Since the Omega is done and we are coming out with 5 new colors for that reel. I thought its best to update all photos on the site. Glad you like the reel.

Thank you,

Justin

Thanks for Posting Justin. I was curious. Again, I'm happy about it - a pleasant surprise. :)

Since you brought it up... Just when might that Omega be released? And, are there any specs you care to share? I'm sure many of us here would like to know. ;)

eastfly66

Reaction score
It is the screen settings most likely. I have the emerald on the Trout II and mine doesn't look the same color as the picture you posted or the web page. I also pulled it up on the wifes laptop and your picture displays a slightly different color than I see on my laptop.

Very happy with the Trout II and going to pick up another at the show or a Kraken. Nice design Justin , good job.

Cheers
East

comeonavs

Reaction score
My Trout II in green, I wouldn't describe as emerald but it is a very robust green :D

Regardless it is still a great reel. I do find the "color" thing isn't exclusive to Allen, I think it is all subjective. For example I think Hardy DD reels look nice in their stainless color on line, but when you see it live it is much "brighter, blingier" than on line photos.

Sorry to derail and bring another vendor up in a Allen thread. I am a huge fan of the Allen products

Green Trout II on a Zaxis

My 10' 4wt ICON, which I hope to hang a Black Kraken on after the Denver show.

allenflyfishing

Business Member
Reaction score
Thanks for Posting Justin. I was curious. Again, I'm happy about it - a pleasant surprise. :)

Since you brought it up... Just when might that Omega be released? And, are there any specs you care to share? I'm sure many of us here would like to know. ;)

We're heading down the Keys on Friday to put together a video for the Omega and a fun video to show the strength of the drag. We'll have some good photos we'll share here soon.

Thanks

ts47

Reaction score
We're heading down the Keys on Friday to put together a video for the Omega and a fun video to show the strength of the drag. We'll have some good photos we'll share here soon.

Thanks

Justin,

We're all looking forward to any details on that Omega!

Have a fun trip!!

Todd

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

My Trout II in green, I wouldn't describe as emerald but it is a very robust green :D

Regardless it is still a great reel. I do find the "color" thing isn't exclusive to Allen, I think it is all subjective. For example I think Hardy DD reels look nice in their stainless color on line, but when you see it live it is much "brighter, blingier" than on line photos.

Sorry to derail and bring another vendor up in a Allen thread. I am a huge fan of the Allen products

Green Trout II on a Zaxis

My 10' 4wt ICON, which I hope to hang a Black Kraken on after the Denver show.

The Trout II does look a little more green and the Kraken more emerald. I guess that proves the Kraken really is a "jewel" of a reel! :D

eastfly66

Reaction score
Guys , we sound like a bunch of interior decorators !

My optom told me 3/4 of all males are color blind to one degree or another.

Just something to think about :D

It is only Dec. we got a long way to go before spring ....

runningfish

Reaction score
You really think so... ?

Hey, what color rod do you think would match my new emerald green reel? :wink:
Well firstly, it should match with the color of the wolly buggers that you are tying, then the color of your eyes and how you comb your hair.

ulflyfisherman

Reaction score
Some of the rods and reels nowadays are colored more like toddler toys than fishing equipment for dudes. We are talking BRIGHT.