Nautilus Reel + Free Fly Line?

miamimikepa

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a custom Nautilus NV G-9/10 in the next few days and was wondering if anyone has seen any sites that have run a deal on this reel? I know I saw a deal where you get a free fly line with the purchase of an G Loomis NRX rod, but I swore I saw the same deal somewhere with the Nautilus NV G reels as well. Been searching all the sites I normally look at and I can find it, so many I was just imagining it. Anyway, just curious if anybody knows of any sites that off a deal on this reel.

Thanks
Mike

longbow42

Reaction score
Stillwater gives you free line of your choice and no tax or shipping charge. They may also give you a discount on top of reel. They did me last week on a new Bauer RX. All told, I saved about $160 vs buying from a local dealer.

miamimikepa

Reaction score
I thought that was where I saw it, but it looks like it isn't there anymore. What do I need to do to get the free line? Also, how did you get a discount on the reel?

bear 007

Reaction score
I just checked I think they are all out of stock that's why the line option is gone, I guess they were on sale, I'd give them a call just to be sure.

miamimikepa

Reaction score
Tim,

They do have them in stock. The old NV series has been discontinued and they have been replaced by the new NV G series. Stillwater has just added a section with the new/correct names.

bear 007

Reaction score
I must have been on the old reel section, I can see it now, the free line option has not been set up, I just picked up a Galvan from them yesterday and got a free $100 dollar line, I would definitely give them a call.

pfm

Reaction score
Stillwater told me previously that Nautilus would not allow them to include a free line with purchase.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
pfm, I imagine Nautilus could care less if a fly shop gave a customer a free line as long as they did not discount their current reels.

Miami, Will Trident offer you a line you Want or what they recommend/have in stock? Some of these on-line vendors keep very little inventory and drop ship after a confirmed order.

miamimikepa

Reaction score
S&S, they give you an $80 credit toward any line you want. You simply add the line you want to your shopping cart and an $80 discount is automatically added. Seems like a pretty good deal to me. They do the same with the NRX rod, but it seems like if you place 1 order they give you 1 line. If you break it up into 2 orders you can get 2 lines...1 for Rod and 1 for reel. Works out fine for me because I'm placing 2 orders anyway. Going to order the reel today and get a 7wt steelhead line. Then when I order the rod I'll pick up a saltwater line. $160 worth of lines, free shipping, and no tax. I hate to say it but it makes it tough to buy local when you are getting deals like that!

ulflyfisherman

Reaction score
I have bought a couple reels from an online retailer called The Anglers' Habitat, and they always offer free shipping and a $100 flyline with their better reels. They also have a brick and mortar store in another state. My local brick and mortar store, mad river outfitters, never offers a deal like that, and they are also an online retailer. The owner even confesses that most of their business is from online sales. I really enjoy going there, but their prices are just so much higher. I almost always buy my rods from them, since I can go there and cast the rods, and they have let me take rods out fishing before I bought. I couldn't do that with a non local shop.... Nor could I stand around and bs with them....or book a guided trip (if that were my thing).

So what I guess I'm saying is that choosing when to buy online or locally can be as tough as choosing Abel or Nautilus, and sometimes the lines are blurred for both cases.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Miami, We all like a good deal and if, when describing to your local shop what a given on-line source is offering and they can't meet or beat it, well ,they lose a sale. Because I like you and by now feel invested in your new outfit and even fishing trip, I went to Trident (after they offered poor advise on the line for your rod) and took a peak a their line selection. I'm sure they can order the RIO Permit for you but they don't stock it. A free or deeply discounted line is only a good deal if it is the line you want.

There are two retail shops near where I live and one, an Orvis shop is that with its inherent limitations and the other with a broad array of quality brands, I don't care for much. I have superior positive attitudes toward the destination shops near where I fish.

ulflyfisherman

Reaction score
Miami, We all like a good deal and if, when describing to your local shop what a given on-line source is offering and they can't meet or beat it, well ,they lose a sale. Because I like you and by now feel invested in your new outfit and even fishing trip, I went to Trident (after they offered poor advise on the line for your rod) and took a peak a their line selection. I'm sure they can order the RIO Permit for you but they don't stock it. A free or deeply discounted line is only a good deal if it is the line you want. I also like to visit the local fly shops around my destination locations, and usually pick something up, be it a shirt, a hat, a handful of flies, you know, something.

There are two retail shops near where I live and one, an Orvis shop is that with its inherent limitations and the other with a broad array of quality brands, I don't care for much. I have superior positive attitudes toward the destination shops near where I fish.
I agree with all that S&S says here. However strange it may be, the local fly shop here in central Ohio is top notch in customer service and product, and we are almost smack-dab in the middle of a trout void. I am also only 30 minutes from a Cabelas, but those stores are too dang busy for my liking. If I want to shop Cabelas, i'll do it online. Also, we have an Orvis store within 30 minutes, but I never consider that a fly shop. I mean, what the hell? I am a Superfine fanatic for small stream fishing.

If you're going to buy a reel (with free line) from an online retailer, always email them and find out if they have the line you want in stock, or if they are willing to order it for you. The Anglers' Habitat has had the line I requested both times - although I don't really know if the Sharkwave Salt lines are a typical, popular, usually-stocked item. When I was in the market for a Ross Evo Lt, I found a retailer that offered a free line up to $75, but every dang line I asked about, they said, "nope." That was when I discovered Anglers' Habitat...

longbow42

Reaction score
Based on what I have seen, Stillwater has the best selection of lines you can get for free with a purchase. I would call them. I did and got a great deal on my Bauer with backing and line.

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

I too am lucky as I live within 30 mins of a Cabelas and about the same to three Orvis stores and two awesome fly shops, with one 5 mins away. I try to give them both much of my business but they can't and wont compete with some of the great deals online.

miamimikepa

Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for all the advice, really appreciate it. So my local shop situation is a moot subject for the reel as I have no Nautilus dealers around me. Here in NEPA I have AA Outfitters (G Loomis, Sage, Abel, Bauer, Winston, Redington), A&G Outfitters (Orvis), Cabelas, & TCO (pretty much everything but Nautilus & G Loomis). Having no allegiance to anywhere that sells Nautilus reels I am simply looking for a place that is easy to deal with since I'm customizing the reel and has the best deal. As far as the Rod, I'd like to give AA the business, but it's def tough. Ordering from a place like Trident I'll basically save $80 (free line), $55 (tax), $45 (Rod is just cheaper). If we were talking $20-40 I'd just buy locally, but $180 is a lot of money!

Just checked trident...they have Rio Permit, Rio Bonefish, and Rio Bonefish Quick Shooter, but no Rio Tarpon. They are the 4 lines that have been recommended by someone at some point.

miamimikepa

Reaction score
Well, it's official the reel is ordered! After emailing an online shop and not hearing back I was talking to a guide friend of mine who told me to call the shop he guides out of, which sells Nautilus, and they would take care of me. With all the customizations the reel came to $975, but with a 15% discount I ended up getting it for $828.75 plus a free fly line. Ended up going with the Rio Permit WF9F as S&S suggested. Thanks for all the guidance and help coming to this decision. Appreciate everyone who has offered up their opinions throughout the numerous threads I've started!