The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2015, 01:02 AM

rick70 is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Reel for 1wt

Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying a TFO Finesse 1wt and was wondering if anyone has suggestions in regard to an appropriate reel to suit? Maybe a Ross Flyrise?
Trying to keep the cost down.

Cheers
Rick

Last edited by rick70; 05-02-2015 at 01:23 AM.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:25 AM

eastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to all
Default Re: Fly Reel for 1wt

There is a used Lampson LP 1 for 1-3 wt. for $120 at this shop. Second page used gear ,excellent condition .

Online Store - Used Gear/Specials - Used Rods & Reels - Upcountry Sportfishing

Good shop . Good people.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:14 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

See if you can find a Ross Colorado 0 or 1 reel. They are great reels - simple, no nonsense.

Click the image to open in full size.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 05-02-2015, 05:20 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Orvis Battenkill I - $99
Bass Pro Classic Ultralight - $99
TFO BK0 -$149
Abel TR Light - $200
RDP1 1/2 wt - $110
Old 05-02-2015, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Type Martin MG-3 into eBay, they are about as light as I know of unless you look to a Hardy Flyweight. I had a Flyweight long ago, they are almost too small to be considered a useable reel in my opinion. The MG-3 Martins can get expensive depending on condition and demand so the price may go up. People buy them for exactly the same reason you would be looking at it, they have small light rods and the reels are perfect for them.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-02-2015, 01:07 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Just my .02 cents ....

When you get that light the reel is a place to store your line .. Period. Find an old Phlug reel, the things are indemonstrable. Choice of words, my choice, you would have to take a hammer to any of them ...

Well did 'break' one of them ... left the rod/et-al on top of the Jeep, fell off and drove over, 4,000# some car really did the job. Dog-Dog looking at you: 'You really are a stupid pile of excrement.'

Old Dog's, lots of years, who knows you better. Rolled up on your bed with a wet nose stuck in your ear ... SNORT-SNORT.

fae
rockriver likes this.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:55 PM

bob3700 will become famous soon enoughbob3700 will become famous soon enough

Recently looked at a bunch of reels for a 3wt and found out that the lightest reel really didn't balance the rod out.

I would think that a decent idea would be to have a dealer string up the reel that you are interested in and place it on the rod. See is the reel balances around the front of the grip and go from there.

Just my .02

Bob
Hardyreels and bear 007 like this.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:43 PM

itchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant future

Look at magnesium reels such as the Ryobi 255
Old 05-03-2015, 05:49 AM

rick70 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies fellas.....looks like I have some googling to do!
Old 05-03-2015, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob3700 View Post
Recently looked at a bunch of reels for a 3wt and found out that the lightest reel really didn't balance the rod out.

I would think that a decent idea would be to have a dealer string up the reel that you are interested in and place it on the rod. See is the reel balances around the front of the grip and go from there.

Just my .02

Bob
Bob is right on with what he has said. I never know which way to go when answering these questions, do I tell a guy what he ask, or do I tell him what I have found out. I almost always end up with a reel that is larger than what would seem necessary because of what he pointed out. I prefer balance over weight and go for reels that will balance a strung up rod right where he suggested; at the very front of the cork. I do think an MG_# may do the trick and there is one for sale in decent condition on the auction.

Another challenge in answering the 'Which Reel' question is whether or not there are money concerns. I start out pointing to something that will get it done for 75 dollars or less but to be serious one of those tiny Abel Creek reels will work pretty well. Another fine choice for a 3 weight is the Hardy Featherweight and my guess is that it would hit the balance point just about right.

Truth is you can't find the correct reel by google searching unless you have reels that have the same weight as those you are viewing to try out for testing the weight factor.
jaybo41 and comeonavs like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;