The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2015, 08:07 AM

missin44 is on a distinguished road
Question PE backing - Anyone use it?

Seems this stuff isn't Gel Spun, thinner than Dacron but with the same texture. This is the stuff Hatch sells, I think Cortland has their version also. I'm sure others do, just know very little about it.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:31 AM

wolfglen is a jewel in the roughwolfglen is a jewel in the roughwolfglen is a jewel in the roughwolfglen is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: PE backing - Anyone use it?

Getting too thin on backing seems to cause much more trouble than it's worth.

99% if anglers have much more backing than they will ever need. Get too thin and it tangles, can cut fingers, wedges into the underlayers of backing in addition to costing so much.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:48 AM

james w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the rough

It's on every one of my spools.
Hatch is selling an 8 strand gel spun polyethylene (aka Spectra), nothing special, grossly overpriced!
Awesome stuff, lots of brands and qualities out there though. I used it for years as a mainline for standup tuna fishing where it's ubiquitous. Impervious to everything, crazy thin, zero stretch, floats even soaking wet, very lightweight, lasts forever, what's not to like?

I'd recommend a 12 strand 60# hollow or a 16 strand 80# hollow . . . Why?
More strands = the smoother it feels, the 16 feels like silk between your fingers, but the 12 is very nice too. Noticeably a lot smoother than 8 strand.
Hollow = the ability to make a splice in loop at the end, or splice on more line 100% strong and very smooth. (Splicing and spliced loops are easy once you learn how, just need a piece of single strand 27# wire doubled.)

Since I have soooo much of this from my tuna fishing days I use the 16s 80# even on my 2 and 3 wts.

Google BHP Tackle, owner's name is Basil. On the left side click on "hollow spectra", then click on "Jerry Brown hollow spectra", then click on 60# and see what you should actually be paying for a much better product. He carries Cortland too, but it's only 80# and up.

Do NOT buy colored spectra! The stuff cannot be dyed, so coloring is a coating that makes it a bit stiffer and fatter. No good.

Sorry if this is a little long, but I hope it helps.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:01 AM

missin44 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by james w 3 3 View Post
It's on every one of my spools.
Hatch is selling an 8 strand gel spun polyethylene (aka Spectra), nothing special, grossly overpriced!
Awesome stuff, lots of brands and qualities out there though. I used it for years as a mainline for standup tuna fishing where it's ubiquitous. Impervious to everything, crazy thin, zero stretch, floats even soaking wet, very lightweight, lasts forever, what's not to like?

I'd recommend a 12 strand 60# hollow or a 16 strand 80# hollow . . . Why?
More strands = the smoother it feels, the 16 feels like silk between your fingers, but the 12 is very nice too. Noticeably a lot smoother than 8 strand.
Hollow = the ability to make a splice in loop at the end, or splice on more line 100% strong and very smooth. (Splicing and spliced loops are easy once you learn how, just need a piece of single strand 27# wire doubled.)

Since I have soooo much of this from my tuna fishing days I use the 16s 80# even on my 2 and 3 wts.

Google BHP Tackle, owner's name is Basil. On the left side click on "hollow spectra", then click on "Jerry Brown hollow spectra", then click on 60# and see what you should actually be paying for a much better product. He carries Cortland too, but it's only 80# and up.

Do NOT buy colored spectra! The stuff cannot be dyed, so coloring is a coating that makes it a bit stiffer and fatter. No good.

Sorry if this is a little long, but I hope it helps.
Curious where it says how many strands? Also no colors even in the stuff you recommend? Thanks for the website, figured others made the same stuff Hatch sells.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:56 PM

james w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the rough

Colors just don't work out, dyes won't penetrate. I think it looks good natural white, very easy to see.

Strands? Whoops!! The word I should have used is threads, sorry, my bad, I shouldn't type while talking on the phone.
If you magnify it there are tiny strands that are twisted into threads that are woven into a tube. More threads equals a smoother feel, but also makes for a little more bulky weave. But IMHO that's a good thing for backing because who needs 300yds of backing on a 4wt!?!

If you want I'll mail you a sample of the 16 thread 80# Jerry Brown Line One for you too check out. I've got a LOT. (I've know Jerry for years, and fished with him on a couple 16 day tuna trips, that's how I know his thread specs. 80# is the only product of his that's 16t.) Just pm me your mailing address.
GrtLksMarlin likes this.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:13 PM

kalgrm will become famous soon enoughkalgrm will become famous soon enough

I'm with James on this: Jerry Brown Hollow Spectra (white) is simply the ideal backing. Spliceable, smooth, strong and cheap.

I use 40lb on my small reels (to 6wt) and 60lb on the higher weight systems..

I also splice in about 50 metres of 100lb on top of the 60lb to give a little abrasion insurance in the part that most often sees the water.

Cheers,
Graeme

(BTW, how on earth can backing get tangled? it's always under tension if it's outside the rod when fighting a fish. If you're tangling your backing, you're doing things wrong!)
Old 06-01-2015, 01:57 AM

oldskewl808 is a jewel in the rougholdskewl808 is a jewel in the rougholdskewl808 is a jewel in the rough

How would the Jerry Brown Hollow spectra in 60# compare in diameter to regular 20# white Dacron? I use Gudebrod 30# on all my reels 6wt and up but I'm looking for something just a tiny bit thinner than 20# Dacron for my smaller reels.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:39 AM

JB Line One hollow diameters, # then diam in mm
40 .35
60 .38
80 .457

Solid
30 .254
40 .28
50 .33

All these are made to have an actual breaking strength of 10% over labeled strength.

I have no idea about Dacron diameters, actual breaking strength, uv resistance, etc.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:50 AM

wolfglen is a jewel in the roughwolfglen is a jewel in the roughwolfglen is a jewel in the roughwolfglen is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalgrm View Post
I'm with James on this: Jerry Brown Hollow Spectra (white) is simply the ideal backing. Spliceable, smooth, strong and cheap.

I use 40lb on my small reels (to 6wt) and 60lb on the higher weight systems..

I also splice in about 50 metres of 100lb on top of the 60lb to give a little abrasion insurance in the part that most often sees the water.

Cheers,
Graeme

(BTW, how on earth can backing get tangled? it's always under tension if it's outside the rod when fighting a fish. If you're tangling your backing, you're doing things wrong!)

Backing can easily get tangled when you are casting farther than the length of your fly line. Sure there are going to be some people who say you can't fish at those distances, but the truth is that you can in certain conditions.

Getting out on the water when there's a school of kingfish, tuna, mackerel and they won't let you get close without sounding, Being anchored near a good rip and the fish are 100 out into it.

Fish comes across the flats and you're in a position where you just can't move to intercept him.

People of course say "Oh, you can't set the hook at that distance" Well, dry fly fishing or a bass bug probably not, but when you're retrieving and a fish slams it on the run, they usually about hook themselves.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:00 AM

moucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by james w 3 3 View Post
I have no idea about Dacron diameters, actual breaking strength, uv resistance, etc.
The only info I could find on dacron backing diameters was for SA backing, which is supposedly the smallest diameter dacron available. It's 0.018" for 20 lb and 0.024" for 30 lb.

Using the conversion ratio of 1 inch = 25.4 mm, that would equal ~.46 mm for 20lb SA dacron and ~ .61 mm for 30 lb. (These are rough numbers due to some likely rounding in the given SA spec.) Other brands like Cortland Micron would presumably be slightly larger.