The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2015, 09:40 PM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough
Default hatch frame spool movement

I bought a new hatch 4+ reel about a week ago,Question for all who own a hatch reel,when I put my fingers on the frame from my right hand and put my left hand fingers on the spool and move my hands I can see movement or flexing.For a reel that is one of the best made the tolerances are not that good.Anybody else try this and see what I am seeing.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:32 AM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: hatch frame spool movement

Interesting.

Should have 3 new sticks within the next month.

I was going to pair them with Hatch....Haven't heard anything negative.

Anybody????>......................
Old 06-13-2015, 06:09 AM

bear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to behold

I just checked my 4+ and there is no movement to speak of, I've had good luck with it so far, the drag is a little excessive for a four weight but I knew that before I bought it.
waterfordcreek likes this.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:56 AM

plecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to behold

I'd probably send it back.
On a much, much cheaper reel, an Okuma SLV, I got one with a lot of slop. I sent it back for replacement. The replacement was fine.

--Paul
Old 06-13-2015, 07:05 AM

Gerard will become famous soon enoughGerard will become famous soon enough

When I was on Belize the lodge reels were Hatch. I was keen to examine one as they are hard to find in the UK and I had heard so many good things. Imwas thinking of 10 & 12wt reels for Farquhar.

When I examined the 8+ the amount of play on the spool really surprised me. Not what I had expected at all. lmknowmtheynwere lodge reels and loaners but didn't think they should exhibit this amount of play. I did check the spool nut and it could go no toghter. So I decided against them. Interestingly the guides on Farquhar were not over enamoured with with the Hatch reels they had seen/tried to repair suggesting the drag sometimes became 'sticky' after fight big GTs.

Regards

Gerard
Old 06-13-2015, 07:18 AM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough
Question Re: hatch frame spool movement

I did contact hatch and they responded by saying that about 1/16 of an inch play or movement is normal.All I can say is I own and fish 13 other reels from 2 abels,2 hardys,2 3- tand,a ross f1,marryat cmr,galvan torque t5,lamson litespeed,natural mystic,and a mfc and they do not have any movement or flex/play when together,solid reels.I am headed out to use the hatch today,i don't think I foresee any problems but just thought with so much praise about this company I would have expected a better fit between the reel frame and spool.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:04 AM

troutwinston is on a distinguished road

I have used 5 Hatch reels 1-7 w/ additional spools for years now..they continue to preform flawlessly.
I have no wobble in the reels?
Old 06-13-2015, 11:41 AM

bear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonwt View Post
I did contact hatch and they responded by saying that about 1/16 of an inch play or movement is normal.All I can say is I own and fish 13 other reels from 2 abels,2 hardys,2 3- tand,a ross f1,marryat cmr,galvan torque t5,lamson litespeed,natural mystic,and a mfc and they do not have any movement or flex/play when together,solid reels.I am headed out to use the hatch today,i don't think I foresee any problems but just thought with so much praise about this company I would have expected a better fit between the reel frame and spool.
I have a bunch of different reels too, this reel is probably one of the tightest I own, I'd send it back.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:52 PM

slips74 is on a distinguished road

All my Hatch Reels are fine, never had any issues with them.
Trout Unlimited - Ken Lockwood #244

"A bad day at fishing is still better than a good day at work"
Old 06-15-2015, 01:23 PM

audam is on a distinguished road

Greetings from Ireland, i also bought a 4plus last year had to order it from US as nobody sells them here and mine also has that flex.