Okama SLV Reels

grousehunter49

Reaction score
I use three of these now two 7/8 and a 8/9 For the money $59 it can,t be beat, super large arbor to keep your line in nice big loops, fast retrieve and light. How we ever used those little small shaft reels that kept your line like a coil spring, i,ll never know. IMO

plecain

Reaction score
Good reels for the money.

I have them from 2/3 to 8/9.

The smaller ones have a little more wobble in the bearings than I'd like, but it doesn't really affect the way they work.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I am not a fan of the Okuma styling, but I completely agree with everything you said. A reel with a good drag that will last for years for about $50 is a nice option to have. I sold mine to a Canadian forum member that uses SLVs for channel cats. If they will handle a season of that I think you're good on the trout most of us catch.

markfrid

Reaction score
I have had an SLV 5/6 for over 2 yrs and I'm embarrassed to say I didn't take it fishing until this year. The water has been high and I have a sinking line on it so it has finally come out of its box. I don't know how it will hold up, but dang, the reel fishes nice! For $55! I have no complaints at all about the drag and the reel feels solid. If the drag stays smooth, its a 5-star value! Have you guys had decent luck with these holding up?

Mark

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a couple and bought one for Jake his handle fell apart but he called and in a couple days he had the parts, no problems since. Okuma is a good value for sure.

bloomagoo

Reaction score
I have a 4/5 and 7/8 and frankly, I don't ever use them any more. Do they work? Yes. Are they a low priced option for a large arbor reel? Yes. But they are the type of reel you always qualify with "for the price". I think you could spend twice as much and get a reel that you don't have to add any qualifiers to.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I have a 4/5 and 7/8 and frankly, I don't ever use them any more. Do they work? Yes. Are they a low priced option for a large arbor reel? Yes. But they are the type of reel you always qualify with "for the price". I think you could spend twice as much and get a reel that you don't have to add any qualifiers to.
Not sure I understand your point. The SLV appears to be marketed as an affordable reel with a good drag, and it seems to hit that mark quite well. Has a better drag than some of my $100 reels. Good option for a new fly fisherman with a $200 combo budget, or just somebody who doesn't want to protect his reel like a glass statue for fear of rim rash. (when I fish from my jon boat comes to mind).

rapman

Reaction score
I sold mine to a Canadian forum member that uses SLVs for channel cats. If they will handle a season of that I think you're good on the trout most of us catch.
And it's still going strong! Landed many 30+" cats, carp and pike with it and no issues. Great value imo.

itchmesir

Reaction score
How we ever used those little small shaft reels that kept your line like a coil spring, i,ll never know. IMO
Modern lines don't coil as badly. You can ask those I fish with. I use a lot of small arbor reels and my line don't look like no slinky.

On that note the SLV is a nice reel. I owned a couple when I first started out. Aside from the drag knob easily loosening up by itself I thought they were great reels for the money.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
I read about these having cork as a material inside, thus requiring more maintenace?
I've got three of them, with the oldest being nearly nine years old. I have never done any maintenance to them other than taking them apart once a year and spraying them down with WD 40 to get all the grit and goo out of them then a light spray of Hornady's One Shot Dri-Lube.

I have read that you need to make sure the cork doesn't get totally dry, but I haven't paid any extra attention to the cork, and haven't had the cork dry out yet.

IMO, you can't buy a better reel at that price point. Certainly you can't get a smoother drag until you pay three or four times as much.

Peace.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
A little neatsfoot oil every once in a while is all it takes to keep a cork drag. One drop spread out with a fingertip will treat several square inches of cork.

tedwin183

Reaction score
They are generally very durable, if a little rough, economy reels. I use the Sierra in a 7/8 as a smallmouth rod balance/line holder. I have literally never put a fish on the drag, and I don't ever intent to. With that said, for and extra $40, you get a Lamson Liquid. To me, the increase in quality of the Lamson far surpasses the $40 price increase. I also see that Orvis has new larger models of the Battenkill coming out for around that $100 price range.