The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By williamhj
  • 1 Post By garyo
  • 1 Post By silver creek
  • 1 Post By ia_trouter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2015, 12:26 PM

garyo is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Line Code?

I just bought an Okuma SLV 4/5 fly reel. I was looking at the specs sheet and it mentioned a phrase: "WF-4, 95yds/12lbs". What does that mean in English? I should probably mention that I will be fishing with WF-5 floating line. I guess I am trying to figure out how much backing to install and in what lb. test?
Thanks....
Old 08-01-2015, 12:31 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Line Code?

It means that if you use a Weight Forward 4 weight fly line then you can get about 95 yards of 12 lb Dacron backing on the reel. Since you're using a 5 weight line you can anticipate less backing fitting on the reel since the 5wt line will take up a bit more room than the 4.

Wind the line on the reel and then tape the backing to the line and add backing until the reel is full. Take it all off and reverse the process - backing and then fly line. It takes a bit to do that but it will ensure you get the right amount of backing on the reel the first time.
fredaevans, trs and ts47 like this.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
It means that if you use a Weight Forward 4 weight fly line then you can get about 95 yards of 12 lb Dacron backing on the reel. Since you're using a 5 weight line you can anticipate less backing fitting on the reel since the 5wt line will take up a bit more room than the 4.

Wind the line on the reel and then tape the backing to the line and add backing until the reel is full. Take it all off and reverse the process - backing and then fly line. It takes a bit to do that but it will ensure you get the right amount of backing on the reel the first time.
Thanks, William. You write in good Yankee...
Old 08-01-2015, 01:47 PM

ia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant future

And after you do all that and over fill it anyway, Then you just pull it all back off and ditch 10 yards of backing. I'm always afraid I am going to underline it, (as if a trout has ever even taken me to the beginning of my backing). I have a couple reels that need lightened up pretty soon.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
And after you do all that and over fill it anyway, Then you just pull it all back off and ditch 10 yards of backing. I'm always afraid I am going to underline it, (as if a trout has ever even taken me to the beginning of my backing). I have a couple reels that need lightened up pretty soon.
I could lighten up myself...
ia_trouter likes this.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:03 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I think by "full" William means to leave about 1/4 inch of "head space" from the rim of the spool to allow for sloppy winding. You will never wind the line as neatly when fishing as you did when you fist load the spool with line. With a ventilated spool, I use the vent hole closest to the spool edge as a guide.

Here's a couple of example I grabbed of Google images.

Click the image to open in full size.

ts47 likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-01-2015, 03:36 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

+1 to what William said above ... save for one thing (no dig Bill) ... what 'they say on line and backing has ZIP to do with what line you may purchase. Cut that 'backing' number in half and you're probably closer to 'reel life.'

But lets consider the actual fishing and FISH ON!! Wahooo! Game On.

But (show of hands as you sit in front of you 'Puter) how many fish have you hooked that actually took you into backing? I can think of only two, both King Salmon ... which I wasn't fishing for at the time.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:18 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I've had three trout take me into backing. One on the Green River in Utah, one on the San Juan River in NM, and the third on the Madison River in Montana. I never landed any of them. Truthfully, I could have had more take me into backing if I had let them run, but I fight fish aggressively. Once a fish gets to the backing, the drag from 90 feet of fly line in the water adds to the tension of the tippet and you probably will never see that fish again unless you are a Gary Borger.

I was with Gary Borger when a trout took him into backing when we fished the Madison in 2012.

Here's a photo of Gary Borger chasing the trout. He had gel spun on his reel so he had 100 yards of backing and he needed it. The gel spun is so thin that it adds very little drag when cutting through the water.

Gary landed the fish 700 yards downstream from where he hooked it well below the green roofed home you see on the far bank. In this photo he is already over 100 yards below where he hooked the fish and the fish is well into the backing.

Here's where Gary hooked the fish, in the slick behind the submerged boulder. Notice that the rod tip is bent and the line is tight. I happened to take the photo just as he hooked the fish in his story.

He writes about it here:

Gary Borger » Blog Archive » Runaway Trout

Of the three fish I hooked, I know that one was fair hooked and the other two may have been foul hooked. Those are the only trout that have taken me into backing in almost 30 years of fly fishing.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-01-2015, 04:31 PM

ia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant future

Look at Silver's pic closely. That is correct. I try to cover the hole with line because it has a nicer appearance. It truly does until you cast it once.
trs likes this.