The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2016, 03:17 PM

kaianuanu is on a distinguished road
Question Reddington Behemoth vs. Okuma SLV

I'm new to fly fishing and looking to set up a rod that's capable of handling anything from monster Florida bluegill and largemouth bass up to bonefish. I'm thinking a 7wt is what I need. But for reel choice, what are your opinions on an Okuma SLV vs a reddington Behemoth? I went into a fly shop today and the girl working it was telling me that one of the sales rep uses the behemoth for tarpon because it's supposed to have some amazing drag. However, I have always been a fan of Okuma products and have read good reviews on the SLV. Obviously, the drag is the main thing I'm interested in here. So, any information or input you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:32 PM

rockthief is a name known to allrockthief is a name known to allrockthief is a name known to allrockthief is a name known to allrockthief is a name known to allrockthief is a name known to all
Default Re: Reddington Behemoth vs. Okuma SLV

People use the SLV for big steelhead so that is quite the recommendation I think. Welcome to the forum.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:59 AM

sabbatoy is on a distinguished road

The Okuma SLV is a pretty nice reel for the money. Not sure I would bank on the drag to hold up to screaming fish. I have one on my switch rod but have yet to get a steelie to put it to the test. I have heard good things about the new Redington reels but haven't handles one. My favorite reels are any Lamson from the Konic to the Velocity....
Old 05-12-2016, 09:26 PM

banjominnow is on a distinguished road

Since you're new, I suggest you get the Okuma SLV. It's a great reel for the price and is quite durable. I'm not sure if it can handle a tarpon, but it can handle pretty big fish. You'll probably end up banging it around a lot since you're new and it won't break the bank. When you become sufficiently experienced, you can upgrade and keep it as a back up.
spameggsandrice likes this.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:51 AM

eastfly66 has much to be proud ofeastfly66 has much to be proud ofeastfly66 has much to be proud ofeastfly66 has much to be proud ofeastfly66 has much to be proud ofeastfly66 has much to be proud ofeastfly66 has much to be proud ofeastfly66 has much to be proud ofeastfly66 has much to be proud ofeastfly66 has much to be proud of

Hi K ,

Spotted this and thought it might be of interest to you , free spool with Behemoth. Can't say I know a thing about either reel but Redington has never done me wrong.

Redington Promo - Free Behemoth Spare Spool
Old 05-14-2016, 07:45 PM

sabbatoy is on a distinguished road

Sure seems like a great deal...
Old 05-16-2016, 07:28 AM

dynaflow is on a distinguished road

The Bearsden free spool deal with the purchase of a reel makes this a no-brainer IMHO...these reels have a large arbor with a 30lb.drag and recently passed the test with flying colours on multiple Sailfish in Rompin.I have the 7/8 for Bonefish and a 9/10 for GT's on an 11wt.rod,
Cheers
Old 07-18-2016, 12:24 PM

mikishots is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
Hi K ,

Spotted this and thought it might be of interest to you , free spool with Behemoth. Can't say I know a thing about either reel but Redington has never done me wrong.

Redington Promo - Free Behemoth Spare Spool
Yep, I got in on this deal.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:11 PM

spameggsandrice is on a distinguished road

For the price the Behemoth is a pretty good deal. Not to mention the drag, warranty, and price.

"Forget all the reasons why it won't work and believe the 1 reason why it will".
Old 07-18-2016, 04:16 PM

bevanwj is on a distinguished road

The Okuma is good value for the money. The Behemoth is one ugly looking reel IMO.