The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By silver creek
  • 1 Post By rockriver
  • 1 Post By chrisjwright1
  • 1 Post By rangerrich99

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2016, 02:22 PM

marshel is on a distinguished road
Default Need help. Loading a reel.

I won an Echo 4/5 Ion reel at our last TU cub meeting. From what I have found, the specs. say 150/20lb yards capacity. What I bought was a 100 yard reel of 20lb backing and Scientific Anglers Sink 25 Cold fly line 105'. Is the 150yards/ 20 capacity spec. backing and fly line?
I will be under spooled with what I have on hand. What are the ramifications of being under spooled?
I also have a 150 yard spool, minus what I have used for the few articulated flies I have tied, of 30 lb braided line that you would use on a bait casting reel. Could I use that for the backing?
The reel will be used for lake fishing on my up coming Alaska trip.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:44 PM

nevadanstig has much to be proud ofnevadanstig has much to be proud ofnevadanstig has much to be proud ofnevadanstig has much to be proud ofnevadanstig has much to be proud ofnevadanstig has much to be proud ofnevadanstig has much to be proud ofnevadanstig has much to be proud ofnevadanstig has much to be proud ofnevadanstig has much to be proud of
Default Re: Need help. Loading a reel.

I don't know the specs of that reel in particular, but usually, they list the capacities for a certain weight of fly line too. With most trout size reels I have seen, that would be an average fly line length of 90'. So if your using something that's 105', it might hit it right on the nose. I would just go ahead and spool it up and see where you stand first, before worrying about ordering anything more.
The bait casting braid is a much thinner diameter than fly line backing. If you use 30lb regular braid, you will need a lot more of it to get to the same spool volume as fly line backing.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:36 PM

huntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to behold

The specs you gave indicate 150 yds of 20lb backing and then what ever size fly line was listed with that backing amount. Use your 20lb fly line backing.

I suspect as nevadanstig said you will be close but likely a bit under..... That is not a problem...... Load it up and go fish it......
Southeastern Illinois College
Shotgun/Pistol Team Coach
NSCA Level III Instructor
Old 06-21-2016, 04:00 PM

marshel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadanstig View Post
I don't know the specs of that reel in particular, but usually, they list the capacities for a certain weight of fly line too. With most trout size reels I have seen, that would be an average fly line length of 90'. So if your using something that's 105', it might hit it right on the nose. I would just go ahead and spool it up and see where you stand first, before worrying about ordering anything more.
The bait casting braid is a much thinner diameter than fly line backing. If you use 30lb regular braid, you will need a lot more of it to get to the same spool volume as fly line backing.
Thank you. I visited another site that said, "150 yards of backing plus fly line." With what I had planned. I will be greatly under spooled.
I am leaving in a few minutes for my grandson's baseball game on the south side of the big city. Cabelas is on the north side. If the game is a quick one, don't plan on it being, I will stop and get a larger spool of backing.

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntschool View Post
The specs you gave indicate 150 yds of 20lb backing and then what ever size fly line was listed with that backing amount. Use your 20lb fly line backing.

I suspect as nevadanstig said you will be close but likely a bit under..... That is not a problem...... Load it up and go fish it......
As I responded to nevadanstig I don't believe we will be able to get to Cabelas before closing. I believe I will just spool with what I have and see the results. If it doesn't look like it will work, nothing much lost. My sister has me covered for my trip. I mainly do CR so if the fish runs the reel out, it is just an early release. lol
Old 06-21-2016, 04:21 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I would reverse load the line on the reel.

That is - put the tip end of the fly line on the reel and spool it on the reel. Nail knot the backing you have on the back end of the fly line, then wind the backing over the fly line.

Then if the spool is short filled, buy some more backing and join it to the backing on the spool with a blood knot. Wind the extra backing until you have 1/4" of free "head" space on the spool. Then reverse the process and your spool will be filled to the right level with backing and fly line.
alex2 likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-21-2016, 04:59 PM

rockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant future

Sounds like your good to go. I think it's better to by under filled instead of overfilled.
ia_trouter likes this.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:23 PM
chrisjwright1

The Echo Reel you are dealing with is a dual rated reel. Both 4 & 5 weight, where the Maximum capacities are 150' of 20lb backing with a WF5 line. From what I understand and do is use Gel Spun and more of it because of the type of fishing I do and gives me a bit more to work with. So really depending on what you are fishing for and where will determine your needs. Where you fish can your catch run more than 100 yards? If not what you have will do you just fine. Keep in mind the lightest of the lines you are using is a 5 - 6 weight line and can be filling more space than you may be thinking.
nevadanstig likes this.

Last edited by chrisjwright1; 06-21-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:45 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

While I agree that rarely if ever will all the backing be of use, the main point of filling the reel is to take complete advantage of the larger arbor. There are several advantages to a larger arbor that are not related to the amount of backing.

1. You will literally pull off and then wind and retrieve your line hundreds if not thousands of times onto the spool. If you under fill the reel, that will mean a lot more winding over time.

2. A maximally filled spool will have less coiling of the fly line.

3. A maximally filled spool provides a more consistent drag as line a pulled out because the drag (arbor) radius decreases less as the fish takes line.

I suggest that if you are going to do it yourself, do it right. Anyone can do a half-a**ed job.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 06-22-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:20 PM

ia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
Sounds like your good to go. I think it's better to by under filled instead of overfilled.
Agreed, if you over do it the first time you reel the fly line less than perfectly it's rubbing on things it shouldn't.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:50 PM

rangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud of

I know this isn't particularly popular (though I have no idea why), but why don't you just get the guys at Cabela's to load your reel? If your Cabela's has a fly shop, then they have the equipment, they probably load at least a dozen reels a week, so they're going to be better at tying the knots, faster, etc. And it's free.

Just a thought.
chrisjwright1 likes this.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark