The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 10:59 AM

gidva is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3 Tand Reels

After the story from the Australian guy. looks like it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2017, 11:37 AM

moucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamma View Post
The reel was sent in July 2016 and after numerous attempts at contact with 3 Tand at the beginning of October Ron Poehailos finally acknowledged receiving the reel and repairing it and asked where I would like it returned , in which I instructed Ron to return to the Retailer who sent it as being easier for me as well as being standard practise(I thought)
Well I expected my reel within 10-15 days of that email exchange.....its now three months and Ron Poehailos has not replied to any of my emails sent to him nor any emails sent via the "contact us" on the 3 TAND site nor any emails sent by the shop where I purchased(and who are waiting for other "parts").NOR SENT BACK MY REEL.
That is really bizarre, because when I had a similar problem (see my post above) Ron was as prompt, courteous, and responsive as you could possibly hope for. Your experience was the complete opposite of mine. I'm here in the US and I spoke with him directly over the phone, though. I wonder whether there might have been a breakdown in communication channels in your instance (as email is less reliable than direct conversation), compounded by the intermediary involvement of your dealer and the vicissitudes of overseas shipping.
jr spey likes this.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:16 PM

hamma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
That is really bizarre, because when I had a similar problem (see my post above) Ron was as prompt, courteous, and responsive as you could possibly hope for. Your experience was the complete opposite of mine. I'm here in the US and I spoke with him directly over the phone, though. I wonder whether there might have been a breakdown in communication channels in your instance (as email is less reliable than direct conversation), compounded by the intermediary involvement of your dealer and the vicissitudes of overseas shipping.
This is possible however I have sent multiple emails to Ron's email and also to through the 3 Tand site and none of these have bounced back.
Ron has replied to my emails previously so my only conclusion is that he is not interested nor anyone he employs at the website end.
This is a shame as I thought the product was quite ok as I have 3 other reels...2 TF70's and a T 50 and I cant fault them other than the problem of any repairs needed and this experience has literally put them in the garbage bin.

cheers
Old 01-11-2017, 08:25 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

hamma, I sympathies with your predicament. Not specifically addressing a particular reel maker but with the spiraling growth of outsourcing manufacture for profit purposes, I have evolved a new attitude. As a traveling angler, quality reliability is vital in any tackle I rely upon. If I buy a high end reel for a rod central to my quiver and I have a problem (very rarely), I do indeed return it for servicing. I sent a reel to Abel for minor repair a couple years ago; it is about 20 years old and came back like new, no charge. I also have an English made Hardy (MLA 350) that is out of production for 15 or so years that lost its drag. I brought it to a Hardy expert in person who could not repair it. I have not discarded it because someday I will be in England and bring it into where it was born; if they remain in business. But I can't and don't buy an Abel, Hatch, Nautilus, etc. for every rod I have and do happily fish reels fabricated in Korea and China too. Often a US brand can not service a reel made for them in China and it would cost them less to simply replace a reel than try to fix something the equipment for which is overseas. Most reputable, established brands will address these issues but it does cost them the price of a reel.

But I look at it differently. If a reel fails me due to a fundamental design or build issue, I will never trust it again and have taken to regarding Chinese built reels as disposable product. I consider it a gamble, I got a nice reel for a low price and when it works well, and many Chinese made reels do, fine. If not, though I am inclined to inform the Marketer about it, I toss it and write something nasty on our Forum about not buying it. It is even harder for you being Down Under and the only advice I can give is to buy an Australian made reel or a reputable US or European built reel of sound quality. Bargains are nice until they aren't.
ulflyfisherman, jaywar and hamma like this.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:27 PM

andrewwa is on a distinguished road

Only get the T series. it is based off the van staal c vex. The tf series however, kinda sucks. The problems i have with it: not sealed, drag knob falls off, clutch fails, drag plate disintegrates. It is going in for the 4th time to replace the clutch and drag plate. I have not received notification from Ron for 2 weeks if he has received my reel, which i sent back about 3 weeks ago. The past 3 times the service has been very quick so many the Australian guy's and my problems are abnormalities.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:08 PM

well Andrew I am not holding out any hope as my emails are definitley getting through on the 3 tand site as I have subscibed to 3 tand news and have registered for that so they are getting my communications.

Hope you have better luck than me !!
Old 01-27-2017, 02:48 PM

andrewwa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamma View Post
well Andrew I am not holding out any hope as my emails are definitley getting through on the 3 tand site as I have subscibed to 3 tand news and have registered for that so they are getting my communications.

Hope you have better luck than me !!

My luck is the same :/. I have emailed him multiple times since then and still no response. I ordered a danielsson today though .

Edit: 3-Tand bought Zeebaas (both reels/companies had Rob [cnat spell his last name], the designer of Van Staal involved) pretty recently and in another forum it was said that he was really busy. If my reel comes back, it will probably be a back up though.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwa View Post
My luck is the same :/. I have emailed him multiple times since then and still no response. I ordered a danielsson today though .

Edit: 3-Tand bought Zeebaas (both reels/companies had Rob [cnat spell his last name], the designer of Van Staal involved) pretty recently and in another forum it was said that he was really busy. If my reel comes back, it will probably be a back up though.
On the 24/01/2017 I received an email from Ron telling me that he was going to return my reel.
I will believe it when I see it.
My T50 has died with the same issue as the T100(which was new out of the box unused I only got as far as putting backing on it) which seems to be related to poor quality drag washers both the CF's(no meat) and metal washers if they distort so easily.. interestingly the website says my reel has 4 Cf washers mine only has two?? possibly a typo...the T50 has been treated like a baby and the drag never left wound on(which was 3Tands explanation for the T100..the drag was left on possibly at the factory) and as I am getting the same response its most likely heading for the bin.
TF70 has an obvious problem with the clutch bearing both location and quality(a sealed bearing would be a better idea) its definitely going to die sooner than later.I've already had one of the needle rollers fall out luckily I found it.
The drag is an unknown but going on the T50 I do not expect it to last long unfortunately I have two of them (
These will no doubt both follow the T50 to a bin.

I have ordered an Australian made Harfin LR90F...cant wait
learnt my lesson
I will also pull out my 20 odd year old SA series 2 7/8L as it still works fine
Good luck with yours but think you have taken the right option.

regards
ulflyfisherman likes this.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:57 AM

rfb700 is a glorious beacon of lightrfb700 is a glorious beacon of lightrfb700 is a glorious beacon of lightrfb700 is a glorious beacon of lightrfb700 is a glorious beacon of light

That is too bad and definitely puts me off buying one. I needed a new reel for an 8 weight and was considering a 3 tand after the reviews I had read but I think I will pass now.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:38 PM

RFB700
yes it's a shame as they are fairly well thought out but some simple componentry has failed, and not through hard use or poor maintenance, which would be bearable if at my end I could get a response and repair in a timely no fuss manner which appears to be virtually impossible from Australia via 3 tand themselves.
An option for me is to find a dealer in the US who can access parts and also ships overseas and I can initiate repairs myself as its not rocket science however this may not be viable.
It may be an entirely different scenario for you as you may be able to drop in to your local tackle dealer and they can sort it for you just as I do here with my other Tackle.

cheers