The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 05:49 AM

hamma is on a distinguished road
Default 3 Tand Reels

Hi All
would like to know fellow fishers thoughts on this brand.
Have you used one and what are your thoughts?
Have you had any issues and if so were they resolved to your satisfaction?

thanks
Old 01-02-2017, 06:03 AM

moucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant future
Default Re: 3 Tand Reels

I've got 3 of them and like them very much.

My first was a black T-70 that had a problem with the drag -- it worked, but seemed a little rougher than I thought it should be. I called 3-Tand, and when they asked about the serial number, it turned out to have been a pre-production prototype rather than a fully-developed model from the main production run. They were very friendly and replaced it with a standard production model, which has performed flawlessly. In fact, I liked it so much that I bought two more from the narrower, lighter-duty TF series for my trout rods. I've seen (but not fished with) the new TX model, which I like even better than the original T series because it has a narrower spool.

A friend of mine who runs a fly shop thinks they are the best value for the money of any of the reel brands he sells.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:16 AM

dryfly70 is on a distinguished road

3 tand reels are one of my favorites to me they are one of the best trout reels out there great service if ever needed (I haven't) and great prices I just love the TF 50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2017, 09:01 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

3-TAND represents a lot of good design at a modest price point. Sourced from China but with careful quality checking. Stick to the narrower spool versions.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:43 AM

el_deanyo is on a distinguished road

They certainly are a good value. One thing to keep in mind is that they don't click during retrieve, if that makes a difference to you.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:10 AM

dryfly70 is on a distinguished road

TF 40 and TF 50. Are Awesome for 3,4,and 5wt rods.....And are great for line pick up on the water,as a light slap on the spool will make several revolutions even if the drag is set tight...Quality like no other China made reels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2017, 10:36 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryfly70 View Post
...Quality like no other China made reels.
Besides 3-TAND, Allan reels (except for top of the line Omega), Orvis Hydros SL, new sponsor Piscifun Platte and Cheeky are well machined in China too. I like US and British reels but a several year old Orvis CFO Disc I have, made in China, is arguably better built than an earlier one of the same name made by British Fly Reels.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:04 PM

luj333 is on a distinguished road

I have a TF-50 on a 5 weight and have been satisfied with it so far.

It's lighter than most reels on the market, and at a pretty attractive price point. If I were to buy a new 5 weight and needed to pair it up with a new reel, I'd probably buy a Hatch. Personal preference though...
Old 01-02-2017, 10:58 PM

gidva is on a distinguished road

I have Ross reels but I recently purchased this beautiful reel in my opinion gorgeous piece. Im getting a 3 tand for my 8 wt in the fall.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

el jefe and hamma like this.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:37 AM

hamma is on a distinguished road

Hi All
firstly thanks for the replies.
I live in Australia southeast Queensland to be precise, but grew up in Canberra and it was there that I learnt to flyfish for trout in my youth.
I have two TF70 reels(which I use for Bass and our Murray Cod both native freshwater fish) and a T50(light saltwater/ estuary fishing)
These reels seemed to be made well good price point and reasonable tolerances and I was quite happy with my purchases and these reels have performed well no complaints there.
So Happy that I outlayed near $600 Aus for a T100 to expand my saltwater efforts to much larger fish ie Tuna Spanish Mackeral Cobia ect.
The T100 was broken out of the box(seemed like a dud anti reverse bearing/clutch bearing) and was returned to 3-Tand(by the retailer I purchased it from) for repair under warranty unused...all I did was load it with Braid backing.
The reel was sent in July 2016 and after numerous attempts at contact with 3 Tand at the beginning of October Ron Poehailos finally acknowledged receiving the reel and repairing it and asked where I would like it returned , in which I instructed Ron to return to the Retailer who sent it as being easier for me as well as being standard practise(I thought)
Well I expected my reel within 10-15 days of that email exchange.....its now three months and Ron Poehailos has not replied to any of my emails sent to him nor any emails sent via the "contact us" on the 3 TAND site nor any emails sent by the shop where I purchased(and who are waiting for other "parts").NOR SENT BACK MY REEL.
I've lost $700 Aus(reel+new braid) which I dont expect to see and yes needless to say I will be moving on the reels I have as I dont need to own a product with this sort of after sales service.
Forwarned is Forarmed they say so buyers beware!...for me 3 TAND have turned out to be a shonkey outfit indeed.

Happy new year to all
Best Regards
Michael

---------- Post added at 02:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidva View Post
I have Ross reels but I recently purchased this beautiful reel in my opinion gorgeous piece. Im getting a 3 tand for my 8 wt in the fall.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

That Taylor is a very nice looking reel indeed....Id buy one of those for your 8wt.....better buy perhaps

Michael