The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By comeonavs
  • 6 Post By sweetandsalt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2017, 04:45 AM

eastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant future
Default Sage reels ??

Just curious , there is lots of chatter about reels here but I never hear Sage mentioned as a contender?

6200 Series - Sage Fly Fish
Old 01-12-2017, 08:13 AM

comeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sage reels ??

I've got a Sage click for my 1wt and a 4250 for my 6wt and I like both of them.

Took the 4250 to the N Platte last year and got in to some nice fish and there was no issues with the drag acting up or being to weak. I'm not an aficionado so I can't comment to detents and incremental drag per click or whatever but I like mine. Fit and finish is great as well.

I was looking last night and with Hatch, Abel, new Ross Evo all being $400 plus in trout sizes for me if I need a new reel (which I don't thankfully) another Sage 4xxx will get a serious look.

I think Ard has some new sage reels on those 19' telephone poles he swats at salmon with too.
eastfly66 likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 01-12-2017, 08:14 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

Sage of course makes some of our greatest rods...but they do not make reels. They have had reels made for them over the years by Hardy, Lamson, Waterworks and, for a while now, to their design specs by S.Korea's leading reel shop; same folks that build Hardys, Loops, Orvis Mirage, TFO Atoll, Douglas Nexus and so many more. And they do a darn good job too. Everything Sage is well thought out, I like the numbered detents, but there are just so many reel makers/marketers today and the passion tends to go to shops that design and build their own.
coolkyle, comeonavs, bwf and 3 others like this.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:11 AM

el jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud of

I have or have had various models in the Sage 2500/4500 series (the 4600 series I believe is its successor), which I really like. I like the numbered drag detentes, and the aesthetics. I don't know much about the ratio of the spool width to height, I just know that the drag works well, it's easy to reset to your preferred drag in a given situation, reels in the fish just fine, and is the sharpest looking design out there.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:49 PM

triggw is a glorious beacon of lighttriggw is a glorious beacon of lighttriggw is a glorious beacon of lighttriggw is a glorious beacon of lighttriggw is a glorious beacon of light

In addition to the numbered drag detents, I like the fact that my 3250 goes from zero drag to max drag in one turn. I find the aesthetics OK but uninspiring.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:08 PM

zjory will become famous soon enoughzjory will become famous soon enough

Have a 2230 on a 4 wt rod and like it a lot. It's simple, has the features I need and is tough (although it does scratch easily).
Old 01-13-2017, 10:09 PM

rufcaptain is on a distinguished road

Sage makes decent reels, light and good quality. Great price point reel IMO.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:13 AM
Administrator

Ard Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Stetts Send a message via Skype™ to Ard Stetts

Hi Paul,

I have a couple and they work just fine, you don't need to spend the long bread to get a good one though. One of mine is the Domain series and they too have the sealed drags that everyone seems to crave. That reel has caught many fish including many salmon in the hands of many different users including me now and then. I use one of the Evoke reels on a rod also, I will not recommend that model because I've found the raised pillar design to be just another place for running line to get snagged when shooting a cast out. I mean snagged good too, to such extent that you need to look away from the fly landing to be sure you've cleared the line.

Performance wise the Evoke is good, it's just the pillars that are a pain. I will be trying the 6200 this coming season and see no problem in the cage design with that model. Like I said the Domain is a great reel and also near the bottom of the pricing as an added attraction.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-14-2017, 12:22 AM

Hirdy has a spectacular aura aboutHirdy has a spectacular aura about

I had a 4210 and sold it. I think there are better quality reels in their price range, and even in lower price reels.

Cheers,
Graeme

(Formerly known as Kalgrm)