Reasonably Priced Saltwater Reel

weiliwen

Reaction score
I'm putting together a cheap bonefish setup for a trip down to the Playa Del Carmen area of Mexico this summer.

I'm going with a 9' 6-weight Echo Ion rod and the Scientific anglers Mastery Bonefish line in the same weight. I bought both "lightly" used. I know that a decent drag is much more important on this setup than an average freshwater corollary.

I'm looking for a reel to match, certainly under $150. Used is fine, even preferable. Any suggestions? I have a good while to search, so I can wait for the right one(s) to come along.

Thanks.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Well, I was going to suggest you look at "New Reels at Somerset" where I featured two inexpensive salty reels but they are mid $300s. Allen's Kraken is $200 which would work fine too and they offer a Forum discount of some sort. Also look at Piscifun Platte reviewed below @ $175.

flytie09

Reaction score
One of the best bangs for your bucks out there is the Lamson series of reels. Solid engineering, sealed drag, and can stop a horse.....

Give them a peak. You can find them used on fleabay for under your $150 budget. I'd suggest the 3.5 or 3.5x size for your application.

There's a 3 or 4 part youtube video where the engineering company that designed the reels for Lamson, provides very good details on the design and differences of each and every one of their reels.... with a few exceptions . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL3zJF3GihQ

Ones you would want to consider:

- Konic
- Litespeed
- Guru

I own a few and enjoy using them.

ft09

oldskewl808

Reaction score
I second the suggestion for Lamson. I use a size 3 Litespeed on my 6wt. Try the big auction site for used ones in your budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjkirshner

Reaction score
Ones you would want to consider:

- Konic
- Litespeed
- Guru

I own a few and enjoy using them.

ft09
I second... well, third... the suggestion of Lamson. I have Konic and a Guru, and like them both. However, Konics are no longer made. The Liquid has replaced it, and there is also a Remix. The Liquid is entirely cast and the Remix is a machined frame with a cast spool; they both use the same spool. You can get a Liquid new for under $150. The Guru you'd have to buy used to keep it under budget. You might also check out the new Ross Rapid. I have a Flyrise, which is now discontinued. I have used it for light saltwater, and been very impressed with the very strong and smooth drag. The Rapid is well within your budget. If you are willing to go a little over the $150 budget (but still stay under $200), I highly recommend the new Orvis Battenkill Disc. There's also the Redington Behemoth, which is probably a good reel, but based on the specs on their site, it is slightly lighter than an anchor. The Lamson or Ross will be much less tiring.

brownbass

Reaction score
If you decide to go, Lamson, Sierra Trading post has the Lightspeeds for $199. This is the older version but may be just what you want and if you wait and watch you may get them cheaper. Get a larger size for better backing capacity and balance.

oldskewl808

Reaction score
If you decide to go, Lamson, Sierra Trading post has the Lightspeeds for $199. This is the older version but may be just what you want and if you wait and watch you may get them cheaper. Get a larger size for better backing capacity and balance.

This is an important point. You want the size 3 which is actually intended for 8wt but it's sooo light it makes a perfect 6wt flats reel.

flytie09

Reaction score
You might be right. 3.0 sizing on the Lamsons should give you plenty of backing and a 6 wt WF line. I tend to upsize my reel for no good reason sometimes. I'd still want the 3.5 personally..... weight difference isn't the issue here. We're talking .5-.9 ounces difference in 3.0-> 3.5 size. That's nothing. I don't want to hear the reel should technically weigh zero jive either...... :rolleyes:

I suggested the Konic, Guru and Lightspeeds as yes I know they're past models and as such..... can be found for a good price on fleabay. And all US made.

And the quality I may be wrong has dipped a scosche on the newer models that are in production now. Some of the materials used (plastic), cast spools, anodization coatings are not the same quality.

May be unfounded rumor and innuendo, but the internet is full of that. Whatever route you decide, the Lamsons new or old are a fine piece of machinery at a reasonable price. New ones have unlimited warranty for original owner. And new reels have interchangeable parts to prior years models.

Good luck and........

Fish on!

ft09

dakotakid

Reaction score
Consider the Allen Alpha III reel. It's machined with a corrosion resistant finish, large arbor, and has a sealed drag with plenty of stopping power. I've used one in salt for several years (sometimes three times a week) and am very satisfied.

It's only $159.

suzyhector

Reaction score
I haven't used my Remix and Liquid reels in serious saltwater like in the US, but I have used them in atlantic salt water on the west coast of Sweden, no problems what so ever. Just flush them with fresh water after the fishing day :)

weiliwen

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger and bought a Sage 2250 today.

Bass Pro Shops, of all places, had a deal where you can trade in any crappy (or crappie!) reel and get a discount on a new reel. I happened to have a non-functioning baitcasting reel that I had literally found on my riverbank, that must have been carried in the 2013 Chicagoland floods, and sat with its rod for 2 years in the mud until I unearthed it.

My intention was to give it to a friend for HIM to use to trade in for another baitcasting reel, but he had found another broken reel to give BPS, so mine was extra.

I went to their fly fishing nook (OMG, I've never seen a fly shop so out of synch with reality, the lady behind the counter even had the good grace to admit the place is a POS), and saw two reels there that I had considered - the aforesaid 2250 and the Redington Behemoth 5/6.

The weight difference was negligible, I think it's less than a half ounce, but the quality of the Sage was definitely better. I got $25 off the Sage, which brought it well into the range of affordability, maybe even better that I expected, $115 plus tax.

So, I've got my new saltwater reel! I'll also use it on my 6 weight Sage Discovery II, which I had purchased as a set with a Sage 106M reel that I had never liked (VERY loud click, and heavy). The rod is a decent one, and now I have the reel that will do it justice.

The moral of this story is, Bass Pro Shops is good for something, after all!

weiliwen

Reaction score
My rod and also the line arrived today, so, I'm all set, except for a couple hundred yards of backing. I head out to Oregon at the end of March, and will spend 3 days at the beach there, so will use that off some jetties and rocks and see if I can entice a few rock bass and snapper in the tidewater, as a dry run for the warm water fishing this summer.

runningfish

Reaction score
I think picking up the Sage was a good choice. I was at the BPS as well last week and compared that sage with the behemoth and thought the sage was built better.
The next time you look for a quality reel go and check Danielsson. I joined their 1969 bandwagon 2 months ago and havent seen the low end of it yet.

triggw

Reaction score
I just bought a Sage 2280 as a backup. I haven't fished it yet, but the drag seems quite sturdy, and the reel lists for $150.

EDIT: Oops, I guess I didn't get to the bottom of this thread and missed that you already bought one.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
Last year I bought the Redington Behemoth (9-10 weight) for a striper expedition. It is huge, and it worked fine; quality seems good. I used it on an antique Shakespeare Wonderod fiberglass (9 foot 9-weight). I didn't catch anything, but my right arm looked like Ahhnold's after that trip.

OK, I have to be honest. I let my brother use that setup, and I used my Rock River Rods 8-weight. Didn't catch anything with that either.

bloomagoo

Reaction score
This is an important point. You want the size 3 which is actually intended for 8wt but it's sooo light it makes a perfect 6wt flats reel.

Agreed, I purchased size 3 for my switch rod and 3.5 for my 9wt. Both are light as a feather and hold a couple hundred yards of backing with room to spare.

STP also has the Cheeky's available for the same $199.

Sorry, I missed that the OP had already purchased a Sage 2250.