The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 10:16 AM

Location: Pocono Pines Pa near the Brodhead/Bushkill/Lackawanna and 1 1/2 hrs from the famed Upper Delaware.
iracmiller is a name known to alliracmiller is a name known to alliracmiller is a name known to alliracmiller is a name known to alliracmiller is a name known to alliracmiller is a name known to all
Default Black/Silver Scratching

I'm about to purchase a new Ross Evo R reel. Deciding between black and silver. Either should look good on the intended rod. Since the reel is type 2 anodized, I assume both colors will be equally scratch resistant. I also assume silver will not show scratches as easily as black. Can those with both silver and black type 2 anodized reels confirm my assumption? Although I'm careful with my equipment, scratches are almost inevitable. My own experience with my Orvis Mirages in black nickel, a dark gunmetal much closer to black than silver, is that they hide scratches pretty well, although I have no silver reels with which to compare.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:33 AM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Black/Silver Scratching

Anything that is fairly close to black can be touched up with a permanent sharpie marker. Perfectly concealing the damage? No, not always, but unless you keep it in a display case a few marks will happen eventually as you are aware. Lighter metallic colors are always going to be tricky to repair. There are about 100 shades of silver/aluminum and it is one of the easier colors for the eye to detect the difference.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:33 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

From my experiences your assumptions are accurate. Black will show dings and scratches much easier from a distance than silver if the anodization has been removed. If you're holding them in hand, the same remains true but dings/scratches in silver become much more apparent.

YMMV, but when I attempted to use a sharpie to cover up worn off anodization, it eventually rubbed off. I wasn't going the route of using head cement or UV cure to cover it.

Get the one that sings to you the most and take care of it as best you can. Wear and tear is going to happen, it's part of the game.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:47 PM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post

YMMV, but when I attempted to use a sharpie to cover up worn off anodization, it eventually rubbed off. I wasn't going the route of using head cement or UV cure to cover it.
I wasn't clear in my previous post. Sharpie will wear off, but you can re-apply in many spots in 60 secs, so IMO worth the effort if a few nicks bother you.
rockriver likes this.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:48 PM

fenix84 is a jewel in the roughfenix84 is a jewel in the roughfenix84 is a jewel in the rough

I have a number of black ross evolution reels and they are all scratched up, i like to think i take good care of them but it happens.

Try some touch up paint for the black. Black is much easier to match than a silver color.
Click the image to open in full size.
sweetandsalt likes this.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:00 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

I like setting on the bank of whatever stream I'm fishing and watch the river flow. Almost every where I find crook of brush or tree to function as a rod rack keeping my rod and reel off the ground and free of not only scratch inducing stones abut fine aggregate contaminants to line, reel and reel seat threads. Still scratches and boat rash happen.

This Pt.5, a 5-wt. reel is very old but great still despite what some drift boat use has done to its perimeter.

But its rash is nothing compared to this Akron-built Medalist.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:06 AM

geordie41 has a spectacular aura aboutgeordie41 has a spectacular aura aboutgeordie41 has a spectacular aura about

I don't mind a few scratches on my reels ,saying that I do look after them . One bit of advice I can offer is when your leaning your rod on a tree , fence car ect I stick the end of the rod and reel in my hat before putting it on the ground,works a treat as long as you don't mind your hat getting a bit dusty and or the odd Mark
sweetandsalt likes this.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:26 PM

Location: Pocono Pines Pa near the Brodhead/Bushkill/Lackawanna and 1 1/2 hrs from the famed Upper Delaware.
iracmiller is a name known to alliracmiller is a name known to alliracmiller is a name known to alliracmiller is a name known to alliracmiller is a name known to alliracmiller is a name known to all

Bored silly with being housebound, I felt well enough today to drive to a shop and take another look at the Evo R 5/6. To me, the black looks better on my Asquith 905 than the silver. While I'm borderline obsessive in the care with which I treat my equipment, I know that scratching is inevitable. However, I now know that scratches on black can easily be touched up to a reasonable degree. Thanks to all for your help. I'm ordering the black.
sweetandsalt likes this.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:32 PM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

Which size? 3.75 or 4.25". The bigger one weighs .7 oz. more and I am inclined to go with that...you thoughts?
Old 03-21-2017, 05:39 PM

The 5/6 - 3.75. I thought it balanced pretty well with the 905 Asquith. The 7/8 - 4.25 was so large it looked like a saltwater reel on what is a slimmer than usual trout rod to begin with. Per Ross specs 5/6 backing capacity is 110 with 5wt line; 7/8 is 160 with 8wt line. Add in the the amount of extra backing required on the 7/8 with a 5wt line and the weight differential would be more substantial than .07. I suppose you could use a lot less backing, but you'd lose the benefit of of the larger arbor and the reel would look half full.