The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2017, 04:02 PM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Those cheap eBay reels

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpwhitejr View Post
Aren't most of the lower end brand-name reels made in China? I wonder if they are basically the same reels without the brand name on them.
Some indeed are. What commonly happens is a factory is contracted to produce a low end product for Brand X. Completing the job they take scrap or junk materials and build cheap, shortcut imitations of what they just built to spec and dump them on the market. Buying these sub-standard reels encouraged them to continue with this practice.
jaybo41 and hairwing530 like this.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:06 PM

moucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant future

I made the mistake of buying a cheap reel on eBay from a Chinese seller a few years ago. It was a copy of the old Argus Flight III (not the newer Argus made by Douglas; here's an authentic example of the older Argus). It cost something like $2.98 plus $15 shipping and took about five weeks to arrive. It arrived bent beyond use from poor shipping. I complained and the seller immediately sent another at no additional cost, which took another month to arrive. Long story short, by the end of the season I had paid no more money, but had accumulated about 6 of them, none of which worked well enough to use. Even the ones that barely functioned had loose spools that scraped against the frame. Eventually I gave up asking for replacements.

Now, my experience with $50 Chinese reels (I have bought a couple of those too) is better, but I would still say you are gambling when you order a brand X model from a manufacturer and seller that you don't know, so just be aware before you order that it's a gamble and keep your fingers crossed. It's probably a better risk than putting $50 of quarters into the slots in Las Vegas, and you might luck out like I did, but it's still not LL Bean's no-questions-asked 100% satisfaction guarantee.

The best value I know of right now in a reasonably dependable inexpensive reel is the Cabela's Wind River. It lists for $40, but Cabela's often offers them on sale for less. As mentioned above, the Okuma Sierra is another reasonable choice, but be aware that the Okuma reel foot is thicker than most and doesn't fit on all reel seets.
hairwing530 and sweetandsalt like this.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:01 PM

comeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was looking at reels on eBay and I see all these really cheap (around 10 bucks) reels. Has anyone here ever bought one? I would be in the market for a cheap 4 weight, just a line holder, really, and would consider one of those if it isn't going to fall apart in a week. (Though they don't seem to list the actual weight of the things so that could be an issue.)
Not trying to be obtuse here but I bet you $10 that cheap reel is a cheap POS.

You might as well donate ten bucks to project healing waters, at least it will go somewhere good.

Apologies if I come across like a horse's ass with my comments but it's almost a guarantee you'd be tossing ten bucks in the crapper on those things.
jaybo41, hairwing530, jayr and 1 others like this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 04-20-2017, 08:51 PM

nevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant future

If you want a better glimpse in to reels off the internet, look to Amazon instead of eBay. EBay has it's place, but Amazon has an extensive ratings system that eBay just doesn't really have. EBay is always a mystery, but when dozens or even hundreds have reviewed something on Amazon, it gives you a good idea on what to expect.
Just my two pennies, but the best value in fly reels I've handled is Piscifun and Allen. I'll take one reel from either of them over a dozen of anything from Cabelas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:08 PM

mattbr will become famous soon enoughmattbr will become famous soon enough

I bought a piscifun for my beater 5 weight, it is completely functional, well machined, and more than adequate for the job. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of incoming click.

All for saving money where you can, but there is a limit to everything.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:04 AM

gpwhitejr is on a distinguished road

"You might as well donate ten bucks to project healing waters, at least it will go somewhere good."

Pretty good point, actually.

"If you want a better glimpse in to reels off the internet, look to Amazon instead of eBay."

I have bought a fair amount of stuff on Amazon; I have only ever bought one thing from eBay, I always thought that was more of an auction site. My general hierarchy for buying anything is locally owned store first, brick/mortar national/big box store next, then internet last. But the small shops are closing, so that is becoming less of an option (I think the only places I can walk in and walk out with fly fishing tackle without driving an hour are LL Bean, Dick's, and Sierra, and their selections are limited). I can drive two hours to the Orvis flagship store but haven't done that yet. It is frustrating that there is an Orvis outlet store that I can walk to from my home, but they only carry clothing. I asked someone in there about that, and apparently they are contractually prohibited from carrying fishing gear. I don't understand that, but I don't know anything about the retail business.

"Just my two pennies, but the best value in fly reels I've handled is Piscifun and Allen."

What is the difference between the Piscifun Sword and Blaze? I am looking for a small reel for my tiny Bean Pocket Water 4-weight, to replace the ancient South Bend 1122 that I am using now (which is marginally better than a coffee can). Another one I have looked at is the Pfleuger Monarch, how does that compare?
Old 04-21-2017, 01:41 PM

nevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant future

Quote:
"You might as well donate ten bucks to project healing waters, at least it will go somewhere good."

Pretty good point, actually.

"If you want a better glimpse in to reels off the internet, look to Amazon instead of eBay."

I have bought a fair amount of stuff on Amazon; I have only ever bought one thing from eBay, I always thought that was more of an auction site. My general hierarchy for buying anything is locally owned store first, brick/mortar national/big box store next, then internet last. But the small shops are closing, so that is becoming less of an option (I think the only places I can walk in and walk out with fly fishing tackle without driving an hour are LL Bean, Dick's, and Sierra, and their selections are limited). I can drive two hours to the Orvis flagship store but haven't done that yet. It is frustrating that there is an Orvis outlet store that I can walk to from my home, but they only carry clothing. I asked someone in there about that, and apparently they are contractually prohibited from carrying fishing gear. I don't understand that, but I don't know anything about the retail business.

"Just my two pennies, but the best value in fly reels I've handled is Piscifun and Allen."

What is the difference between the Piscifun Sword and Blaze? I am looking for a small reel for my tiny Bean Pocket Water 4-weight, to replace the ancient South Bend 1122 that I am using now (which is marginally better than a coffee can). Another one I have looked at is the Pfleuger Monarch, how does that compare?
As far as I know, the only difference between the Sword and Blaze is the visual design and colors. I own both, have fished both and taken both apart. They appear to have the same drag, bearings, shaft, drag knob, handle, etc.
Ive never handled that pflueger so cant really comment on that.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk