The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 11:31 AM

fishin' fool is on a distinguished road
Default Cabela's SLA reel

I was wondering if anybody had any experience with these reels? They got a good review in Field and Stream, but I was looking for some real world comments or opinions.

Jeff
Old 05-27-2008, 06:58 AM

pneumatic is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cabela's SLA reel

Probably a little bit too new for anyone to have an opinion but I did want to mention that Field and Stream is hardly an independent source when it comes to an unbiased review. Cabelas provides a huge chunk of their advertising revenue. Simply read the SLV reviews on Cabelas own site to get a better idea (currently 3/5 stars from 29 reviewers).

For the price, I would stay away from it - just based on the customer reviews.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:17 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I have several Cabela's reels and I like them very much. They're a good bang for the buck. However, it seems - and I might be wrong - cabela's often changes their reel designs; so if if you think you might want an extra spool I would get one when you order the reel.

Randy
Old 05-27-2008, 02:03 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Junk!! the drags suck and they do not hold up in salt at all save your money and get something better. You do not say what you will be using it for or what size. the drags on the SLA's have a bad rep for locking up I fish mostly salt and a good drag is a must. You can find a much better reel for the same price. Try searching the site reels have been reviewed alot on here and you will find very useful info.
Jim
Old 08-14-2008, 11:04 PM

gvillevol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw View Post
Junk!! the drags suck and they do not hold up in salt at all save your money and get something better. You do not say what you will be using it for or what size. the drags on the SLA's have a bad rep for locking up I fish mostly salt and a good drag is a must. You can find a much better reel for the same price. Try searching the site reels have been reviewed alot on here and you will find very useful info.
Jim
I agree with this. I heard a lot of people say that the drag is junk and in the end that is what you should be most concerned about when buying a reel. I have heard that Cabelas is reworking their drag on the reel after multiple complaints. Check the customer reviews online and take them for what they are worth but a lot of people complain about the drag.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:09 AM

cromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nice

I bought a 4wt from Cabelas.com in the bargain cave three weeks ago for $50. From all the reviews I've read it shouldn't have any problems as I'm targeting trout from 1oz to a few pounds. I thought for $50 I couldn't go wrong, keeping in mind Cabelas return/exchange policy.

Clint
Old 12-08-2009, 12:53 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

I think they are ****. They look great though i must say. The drags are worthless. I burned one up on small mouth in just a couple of outings. They are a foreign copy of a popular design. I assume patent infringement is why they are discontinued. I had purchased 5 when the started selling them at deep discounts, but after the problems with my first i returned them all and replaced them with pflueger medalists. Im very happy i did as these are indestructible!